Help us find contacts of conservative/populist politicians

We need help collecting contact info from conservative members of the European Parliament - and or each country’s representative at the European Council (we’re especially interested in Flemish, Polish, French, German, and Czech).

Why? We’re organizing a campaign to halt the senseless violence in Sudan: the military, backed by the wealthy rulers of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, violently attacked sleeping pro-democracy activists with live bullets and tear gas on Monday, killing an estimated 31 people and wounding hundreds.

90666b9c-9af1-4aef-87a2-451e4470c726

Conflict and chaos lead to people fleeing their homes. The route to Europe is perhaps equally dangerous. But the welcome in Europe is inhumane as well.

And so, however much we disagree with nationalistic narratives, we decided to use any means necessary to stop the brutal murder of our peers in Sudan.

@nadia , @inge and myself are planning a campaign aimed at US and EU anti-immigration populists. If they want to have less refugees: then they should understand that violent fundamentalist Islamic regimes break countries, forcing people to leave their homes and flee to Europe.

If any of you would have the right contacts or know who we should target in the upcoming campaign. Please let me know!

3 Likes

Happy to help! Get in touch, send me a mail: letizia.gambini@gmail.com

4 Likes

Contacts of MEPs: Full list | MEPs | European Parliament | A

The Council’s reps depend on what is being discussed. Sometimes it’s heads of governments, other times it’s ministers (for example, agriculture ministers discussing something agriculture-related). So the Council is not a good fit for a “call your rep” operation.

The Parliament is. Here is a search in the full list of MEPs, selected by belonging to the ENF group. All the people you want are right there.

3 Likes

So perhaps we should also add national decision-makers? Ministers, PM, etc?

1 Like

PMs are impossible to reach. But their cabinet staff generally are much easier to access. Also, media.

2 Likes

I’m afraid that’s the list of the old parliament though. The new MEPs are not there yet.

1 Like

Partial lists per country (of the ones who have already sent them) are here: http://europarl.europa.eu/welcome-2019-2024/en/home
Poland is there from your target countries.

An unofficial list of newly elected MEPs is on the French Wikipedia: Liste des députés européens de la 9e législature — Wikipédia

4 Likes

The one thing we can get people behind is to cut off the money sent from the EU to the illegitimate regime terrorising Sudan. How do we effectively lobby to shut down any and all programs, funds and organisations funneling money to Sudan? We are building something in a closed space. DM/ email nadiaelimam@protonmail.com if you want to help.

1 Like

@teirdes any suggestions for where/how to push ?

Based on the Carl Bildt experience from Sweden, I think it’d make sense (for wooing conservative politicians) to see which economic interests are in Sudan and whether they play out to the advantage of better governance there. Chances are this is not the case.

The EU currently has missions in Mali and Tchad. It has also engaged on anti-ship hijacking efforts in the Red Sea. Countries which engage in this are Italy, France and Spain - maybe it’s a way in for them to argue that stability in this region is an economic priority for the EU.

@alberto has already provided the right contact forms for MEPs. Call their offices and ask if they are already aware of the situation in Sudan, for instance. Perm-reps can also be called - but it differs per member state how engaged each perm-rep is in the actual policy making. They will at least be able to indicate whom in their national government back home is responsible for dealing with North-East African policies.

3 Likes

There is a line connecting Chad and the current situation in Sudan. It runs through the defacto leader of the Sudanese military junta - deputy Mohamed Hamdan Dagolo. Hemeti, as he is commonly known hails from a small Chadian Arab clan that fled wars and drought in Chad to take refuge in Darfur in the 1980s.

I have come across testimony that the presence of the janjaweed currently in Sudan is coordinated through a special committee in Chad lead by Pres.Deby, Mohamed Saleh Al Nadia- the Chadian Minister of Foreign affairs and and his former minister/defense Basha Issa Jadaalh - who just so happens to be Hemeti’s first Chadian cousin. Together with Hemeti it seems they are directly implicated in assigning and re managing Jenjaweed to execute the ongoing massacre of peaceful protestors in Sudan. Hemetic

The former who just happens to be a cousin of General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo - the man directly responsible for the ongoing massacre of peaceful protestors in Sudan. And the Darfur slaughter before it.There was at some point an attempt to bring the militia under the control of the Sudanese military but they are almost impossible to control and are now a security threat both inside the country and to the neighbours. Which means that if the EU is putting any money into the hands of the Chad government some of that is probably going towards financing the current slaughter.

So this may be one approach, yes. Thanks.

It’d not easy. I understand the EU missions in Chad and Mali as being stabilising, with a view to preventing deterioration in Libya and ensuing larger problems with refugee welfare in the Mediterranean. But Chad is a sovereign state - if it cannot be directly occupied (which I believe is completely out of the question) one has to accept that they exercise that sovereignty within some bounds. That probably means some autonomy in spending of monetary resources provided within the framework of this support.

I’m going to go off on a tangent here, based on a conversation I had with someone last year:

A potentially stabilising measure for the EU that could be of both external and internal use is the establishing of affiliate university faculties in African countries in the following way: universities which belong to a member state that has previously been a colonial power should not establish faculties in countries they have a previous historical relationship to. So for instance, a French university should not have a faculty building in Niger, and a UK university should not have a faculty building in Kenya.

This way one could potentially speed up education and knowledge transfer, but also help the EU deal with its current foreign policy coordination problems (which, among other things, are caused by different experiences of being a colonial power or not). If we’re expecting further climate change in the EU, maybe a good first area to use as a test bed is agricultural technologies - African countries exist in a broader range of climate zones than the EU currently does, so mutual research in this area is beneficial not just for local residents but perhaps in future also for EU climate resilience.

Establishing real faculties is also a longer-term project than just dipping in and out with a fighter jet, and I imagine there’re only limited way in which educational funds can be misappropriated.