How important is our social media strategy?

Coming to EdgeRyders to work on social media I have taken a look at what kind of insights our analytics data from the past year can provide us with - in terms of where our audience is coming from and how effective our social media strategy has been in reaching new users. With this blog post we will start by establishing a general overview of our social media presence and the contribution it plays towards the development of the platform.

Measuring social engagement

A simple place to start is to compare the number of visitors coming to edgeryders.eu via social referral to the total number of sessions on the site. Using Google Analytics we can gain a better understanding of how these metrics correspond to one another.

If we look at the past month (in this case, from March to April 2017) we can see that the two are working closely in tandem, with a spike in traffic from April 30th to May 6th driven by a greater number of social media referrals (2276 visitors, or 61% of total traffic) than usual.

Buffer, our main social sharing service, offers further insight into how the frequency of our posts contributes to overall engagement with the site.

Looking at a 90 day period this time, there is a direct correlation between sharing frequency and links clicked. This may seem obvious at first, but we do not want to run the risk of oversharing content to an absent audience - the frequency of posts plays an important role in controlling this signal to noise ratio. Twitter for example is a high frequency medium, with a near constant flow of information and discussion, so posting once a week will not draw much, if any attention. Conversely, publishing a blog post or sending out a newsletter on a weekly basis alone can provide a strong signal boost. The key is to find the optimal frequency range for each service, which I will write about in my next post.

What platforms are being used most effectively?

The Social Overview report (found under the ‘Acquisition’ tab in the sidebar) in Google Analytics provides us with information on which social networks are sending traffic to the site, and more importantly to us, what kind of traffic.

Looking at the top 5 traffic providers, Facebook leads the field and is responsible for 3067 visits in the month of April, or 80% of social referrals. While this tells us that Facebook is sending a large number of users to the site, it is just as important to understand what these users are doing once they get here. Twitter contributed far less traffic, with about 14% of all referrals, but we also see that the average time spent on the site is longer (by 3 minutes and 9 seconds) and the average number of pages visited on the site higher (3.12 to 1.6) than the average Facebook user.

While the difference may seem small, these statistics reflect the central tendency of a group of users - with half of Twitter users spending longer than 4 min 34s on the site, this is a very decent average. The reality is that visitors from Twitter will spend more time engaging with the site than those from Facebook. While a smaller audience, it is also a more targeted group of users that we should continue to invest in.

What data matters?

We’ve had a brief and very general overview of how much weight social media carries in bringing users to the Edgeryders community and a general breakdown of the services providing the most amount of traffic.

In the search for meaningful metrics we can easily lose ourselves in a statistical stew of data such as reach, conversions, leads, impressions, engagement, amplification percentiles and so forth. In my next post, we will be looking at the data that matters for Edgeryders and what this should tell us about our long term objectives for the community.

For now though, what are your thoughts on these metrics and how do they fit within our social media strategy? What audiences should we be targeting that we are not already, and how can we improve engagement with our existing users?

Moved to Social Media Team group

Hello @Owen , we have not met yet. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

I find it difficult to make anything out of descriptive statistics like these. I suggest a slightly different approach.

We should start by asking ourselves: what do we want to happen? What does success look like for Edgeryders? In the world of Google Analytics, this is done by “goals”. Back in the day, we created several goals: create a node, create a comment, signup, visit at least 4 pages etc. At that point, we can assess our performance with respect to the goals.

Of course, there are complications. I have not looked into this for a long time, but I can see at least two:

• Different parts of the website can and do have different functions, therefore different goals. The blog and the company site (https://edgeryders.eu/company/home etc.) are basically read only stuff. We want people to be aware of them  and think we are cool, and they should hire us. The challenge response and project groups are interactive: what matters there is content creation. 
  • GA counts hits. So, a "goal" can only be defined in terms of visiting pages. 

Another advanced function of analytics would be to help define our social media strategy. For example, your reflections on Twitter traffic being more engaged are useful. We have questions like:

1. Is it worth us buying ads on Facebook? Is it not  the case that Facebook shifts traffic from one FB page to another, but not so much outside it?
  2. Is it better to focus on Twitter? Facebook? Mailing lists?

What do you think?

I moved this post onto the social media team group: it’s more back end stuff, not necessarily so interesting for the community that we would want to showcase it in the blog.

1 Like

@Alberto Thanks for your input. Social media strategies cover such a broad landscape that it is easy to lose sight of the original purpose with all the information we have at our disposal. Very broadly, we want an action based strategy that channels analytics into insight and action. In the corporate world, this is driven primarily by a motivation to gain insight into how a product or service is being perceived and to then shape a marketing strategy accordingly to sell more products or services. For content publishers, it is generally about gaining insight into what content is being shared and discussed in order to more accurately predict successful content, which in turn can be monetised through advertising and affiliate marketing. From my early experience here, Edgeryders is positioned outside of these spheres; our goal should be bringing the most salient, conversational material to the forefront and highlighting not only the content but the community practices that give rise to such content. Hence, the message being conveyed is not simply ‘read this’, but identify and engage with the platform that has produced this content.

Based on the last ad campaign, I’m not convinced Facebook alone is the best approach unless there is something actionable within the network. My impression is that most people interact on Facebook in a self enclosed environment (watching embedded videos, commenting and sharing posts, liking pages…), while Twitter is more conducive to leaving the site (although the company has been trying to change this too). I think mailing lists are highly effective and targeted, and much closer to reaching a longer attention span as they offer something more personalised than link sharing.

1 Like

Yep

My impression is that most people interact on Facebook in a self enclosed environment

I have the same impression. And that means that any money spent on FB is not spent well.

Unless there emerges a concrete, consumable thing to sell, like the masterclass. Then it’s back to classic marketing & Facebook/linkedin/Eventbrite type platforms can help.

Not sure…

The Power Pitch weekend is not selling on FB. Maybe you don’t buy 600 EUR courses on FB, I don’t know. Other platforms could still be useful. Also, FB itself could be useful for cheaper products.

When we did the I dinosauri crowdfunding, we did not have the impression that FB ads did much to keep the money coming. So far, for me FB ads have never worked for anything. We got nice reach numbers, but almost no extra conversion.

But I freely admit that I suck at digital marketing, and not interested in learning it.

My experience is also limited

But I see (seemingly successful) stuff for this type of thing on Eventbrite and Linkedin for sure. Facebook probably not for a €600 course, but also because the setup is not really oriented toward professional development, rather leisure activities.

1 Like

Improving engagement

Make this site easier to use.  the good news is we have a plan to do that.

I have been using edgeryders.eu pretty continually for about a year and a half.  While it works pretty well for specific project needs, it isn’t very conducive to “hanging out” and having conversations where you don’t know where they might lead.  Ultimately, for things to really gel, the platform itself needs to be engaging enough that other social media sites are used for what they are demonstrably good for: attracting people to see something in particular.  But more synergies develop when the site itself is a pleasurable enough place to hang out on its own.  Not easy to do.  Few sites actually accomplish it, which contributes to both the “winner take all” aspect of big league sites like FB which in turn tends to feed our collective shrinking attention spans.

Facebook to me is sort of like Pac Man - it goads you into going forward, ever scrolling towards whatever turns up next.  Being photo and video rich accelerates that a great deal. And since it is all based on existing relationships, one lives in a kind of comfort zone the whole time.

ER has a lot of exisiting relationships going on, which are a kind of core, but the subject matter and the people call for the opposite of that “pac man syndrome” as I could call it.  It’s all about depth and leading to actions and relationships that help the earth and the people on it regardless of where they live or what they believe.  Coaxing someone into something deeper when it goes against the grain of all these sites that train us constantly to develop our own forms of ADD,  is difficult, to say the least.

But again, we’re working on a replacement that should make it all more coherent and enjoyable to use.  Saving the world needs to be fun too.

2 Likes

@johncoate You’re right and interesting to look at the site positioned this way in contrast to conventional social networks - maybe this could be developed further in terms of communicating what the site is about. I feel the platform’s strength is in displaying a diversity and depth of thought, this can be conveyed more clearly on the home page and in outreach posts. Look forward to seeing what you’re working on.

1 Like

Meanwhile…

We’re not changing it anytime real soon, so this is what we have.

Maybe some good old fashioned press would help.  People still read news sites.  A story by a legitimate journalist gives you something to tweet a link to, post on FB, etc.  It brings with it a degree of validation, which is different than tweeting your own link, which, while perfectly legitimate itself, carries a bit of an advertisement with it.  The difference is subtle but meaningful.

Open Care and Open Village are truly interesting, relevant and newsworthy subjects.  They deserve a writeup by a jounalst writing for a widely read publication (rather than some more obscure blogger for example).

Dashboard

@Owen I made myself a dashboard. Maybe you will find it useful too.