IARC 2023 Transcripts - 14 JIE

Okay. My name is Joe and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you information sheet with contact information. If you agree, then tell me your first name and that you agree.

Hello. My name is Jie Xu and I agree with this interview. My pleasure. Yeah.

Sure. Okay, Jie. First question. Can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Uh, resource. We use the new and no waste. Yeah. Protect the environment.

Do you. Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Yeah. I worked in the shredding industry for many years because every material or every resource we want to do a new reuse. The first step you have to smaller the size and separate them. Different materials. Yeah.

Good. How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practices?

Oh, it’s. It’s interesting. I actually worked as a translator, but later I met my boss, American Guy, and I. He asked me to work for him. I said, I don’t know about this technology. I just learned English and business. Okay, enough. Then I will train you. So I’m in this industry for more than ten years, 12 years already. Oh.

Uh, in your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

It’s individual because the materials are various plastic. Nowadays the hot topic is battery and our major field is metal. Different kind of non-ferrous ferrous. It’s not the same. It’s very different. Different? Yeah.

Uh, do you currently own a car?

Yeah, sure. To live in Germany without a car it’s impossible. Yeah.

What kind of car is it? Younger. Older.

Oh, okay. I married. I married a German guy. His opinion. I’m a new driver. I have to use. Use the car. It’s a Mercedes, but already 25 years old. But it works. I drive to Munich. I drive to Amsterdam. It’s nice. Good? Yeah.

Um, when we think about cars, what is the one adjective? What is the first thought coming to your mind when you think about electronics in a car, for example, GPS or something like that?

Oh, without GPS, I cannot drive a car to anywhere nowadays. Yeah, that’s my first opinion about the car. My car has to have GPS, and the second I have to charge my phone. Your electronic car? I’m not sure. It’s kind of critical. I I’m kind of hesitating if I’m going to buy a electric car, but now my car is Benzene (petrol). Well.

Okay. In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components like GPS or something like that easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than an older regular cars?

Um, I don’t know how to compare because everything developed and we just have to find the solution to, like people said, we have to use less plastic. But I worked a while in hospital. Everything is just a one time use, mostly plastic. You cannot just avoid using something. If something bring the convenience to our life, then we have to find the other solution to not bring so much negative aspect. Yeah, that’s my opinion.

What can the automotive industry do to promote a circular economy?

What’s that mean to promote?