IARC 2023 Transcripts - 23 MIC

So my name is Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information, so if you agree, then please tell me your first name and that you agree.

Michael I agree.

Thank you, Michael. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Oh, it’s very difficult. It’s a economy where everybody is taking care about everybody and that we take most of recycled material in everything. What can be produced in the automotive industry

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Myself of the company, myself, myself. Yes. I participate. I do. I do. I’m from Belgium. So we recycle the carton, we put it in the container park and so on. So yes, by myself, I do it. Yes.

How did you become interested in the circular economy, ideas and practices?

For my From my side. From my side? Yeah. My side personally, then. Yeah. Uh, well, it was the fact that we took care about the environment and our company and at school also before.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Um, it can be, but it’s difficult. I think it’s better to do to give it early to take the economy as a whole.

Uh, do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

Uh, for sure, yes. We see it with we are working with some groups and sometimes we get some coming in during the full year, we get some plastic crates back that we recycle, that we regrind we recycled and we use it in the production. Our plastic pallets.

Do you currently own a car?

Yes.

Which kind of car is it?

Uh, it’s a SUV. (It’s a normal car.) It’s a normal car? Yes.

What is the one adjective - the first thought that comes in mind when you think about electronics in a car.

Oh, I think it’s. It’s the beginning. Beginning of a new. Yeah, a new cycle of new vehicles. That’s for me. Yes.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to the circular economy principles than regular cars?

Well, as everything was new, for the moment it’s more complicated. But yeah, we suppose that it could be better in the coming ten years. For example.