IARC 2023 Transcripts - 28 SHA

I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with the pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet later with contact information, so if you agree and please tell me your first name and that you agree.

Yeah, my name is Shantano Abadi. I agree with the conditions and thank you.

So the first question, can you define circular economy in your own words?

So according to me, circular economy means reusing or making use of the you already used materials in the industry and that could be reused, recycle and remanufacture as well.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Oh yes. For example, I use make use of glass bottles instead of plastic bottles, which we can say glass bottles are 100% recyclable. So I’m not adding to the waste in our daily life. Yeah.

How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practice? Oh.

Pretty good question. What interests me is the challenges where from my background I am a researcher and working in market and business intelligence. So it’s good to know more about the circular economy, the delegates, the the people working with circular economy topics, sustainability topics around the industry, especially automotive. And yeah, this makes me interested in this field and I see a lot of research opportunities. I see the ongoing topics and where could lead us as an opportunity and for my company and for myself as well.

In your opinion, can the circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or individual industries?

It does exist. I guess it already exists. Like with respect to chemical recycling of plastics, plastics industry have its own regulations and its industry. Then with respect to various national associations like ACA and Kleppa as well. So I see it’s already being laid and the only thing is checking all the people related to that industry are on the same page. So that is the big challenge and that’s it.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

With respect to metals. Yes. With respect to plastics, I doubt that is why I’m here. And yeah, especially with some special materials like polymer or acrylic. It is tough and would like to get to know more about it.

Do you currently own a car?

Not personally, but my family does. Yeah.

Did you own before a car?

No. Um,

When is the one the directive that comes to mind when you think about electronics in a car?

As far as we see the technology, the benefits we get from electronics, like finding out a problem in a car is easy nowadays. But its downside or its disadvantages are also there. Like we are getting traced depending on our location and everything. So yeah, it does have its advantages. But as we know that every new further step or every new technology has its disadvantages. So we need to be careful about it and move forward.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than regular cars?

Tough question, but it’s difficult to say. Yeah, we see that many a lot of plastics are being used in electronics nowadays and difficult to recycle. And if they are replaced by recyclable materials, then I think that would be good.