IARC 2023 Transcripts - 29 SVE

So I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and in automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you information sheet and with contact information. So if you agree, then please tell me your first name and that you agree.

Yes. Okay. But first of all, I would like to find out what kind of research for which source is that? I mean.

Are you get it after that.

So I don’t know now what kind of research. Aha. Okay. It’s pretty tricky, but. Okay. My name is Svetlana and okay, I would agree to your stipulation so that I can withdraw my opinion. Whatever. Afterwards.fine

Thank you. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words.

As a circular economy? Is the economy that involves the production of an item from zero, starting with resource and ending at 100? It means converting the same product into material which can be reused again at the zero stage. And this is a closed loop and this is a circular economy which is considered to be the most profitable in comparison with the previous models. And this is what our society should pursue.

Do you participate in circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Uh, definitely. We live in a consumer society and I’m a consumer and of course I have an understanding of how commodities and goods are produced. And when I’m a responsible user and when choosing a product, definitely I would go for the one that, um, that is a part of the circular economy.

How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practice?

Well, it’s directly connected with my position as a sales international and also business development. And I work for a company producing equipment and technologies for recycling and of course, recycling work in this industry. You must be fully aware of what a circular economy is.

Uh, in your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or individual industries?

I definitely that the circular economy as a concept exists as a legislative level and then it must be implemented in individual industries. Otherwise as a concept, just as a concept, it makes no sense. It must be implemented and be beneficial to the society and so on.

Uh, do you think that the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

Yeah, I would say largely yes. And some parts of this jigsaw puzzle function very well and the rest are in trial, I would say. And of course, we don’t know if those parts that are in trial are going to function well or not, or they have to be substituted for new concepts. But anyway, the circular economy does exist and it should be optimized with the time.

Do you currently own a car?

Yes. I’m a happy owner of a BMW.

Is it electric or hybrid or regular?

No, it’s just a combustion engine vehicle and the car is not new. It’s ten years old and I’m still happy. Pretty happy about this car being in the industry now, working for an industry involving electric vehicles and lithium ion batteries. I understand what dangerous they there at the moment and what uncertainties are there. And for the time being, I’m I’m not going to buy an electric vehicle.

Uh, what is the one adjective that comes to mind when you think about electronics in a car?

Once again, I didn’t get your question.