Inpe gets ready for testing phase

Greetings, so after the successful show in Makerfaire Rome, InPe has been getting ready for testing phase. In our current status our electronics and code, are working with reasonable accuracy, however, we are missing crucial data from testing phase.  We have so far only tested inPe, in very simple ways in order to change the code:  Like holding InPe and throwing it at distance, but would it mean for someone wearing InPe, to shake hands with someone else, to lean on the wall, to walk with a stick or a cane? Would this trigger false alarm? or actually untrigger the alarm when needed? These are questions that we need to answer.

In the current phase, Inpe, is designed as an arm band, similar to the ones runners put around their upper arms to hold their phones.   It comes in two buttoned layers, where it is easy to see the inside components, tweak, and fix. The same items could be used on the leg too. For the next iteration, we would love to keep the same idea of making the inside as open and as accessible as possible.

Situations ranging from daily doing basic movements such as walking, sitting down, eating, all the way to more detailed situations such as climbing a stair, or sleeping, are scenarios that we plan to test in the upcoming 2 months.

We have already published InPe’s dedicated website http://inpe.opencare.cc, and will continue to add further testing stories, updates and data as we move on.

Stay tuned. More photos will follow in future post.

2 Likes

Near the center of mass?

I can see how calibrating the accelerometer 's sensitivity would be a problem. If the purpose is to detect when the wearer falls, would it maybe be better to position it near the centre of mass, rather than on a limb? I am sure you have already thought about it, I am just curious.

1 Like

belt was an option yes

yup, designing inpe as a belt accessory kind of device, is something that we investigated.  Lets see how this goes with testing.  Although, given our testing scenarios, activities like sitting down, doing to bed, would also bear risk of accuracy with the central body location.

I’m still waiting for this phase :slight_smile:

Hello Moushira

If I remember correctly, we were left with the promise to participate in the next phase of testing that would involve myself and other guests of the Residential Community in which I live.

Do You think that it is still feasible, despite the difficulties, or both must defer to meet project deadlines?

Let me know.

See U soon :slight_smile:

A step further

Check this idea Weiterleitungshinweis

A great idea of preventing harm when falling

Where

Well there are literature in abundance. I once worked with Ruth https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/staff/index/id/779/alpha//header_search/+/from/searchall

And have some vague memories about why the thoratic region may be better

http://biomch-l.isbweb.org/archive/index.php/t-7395.html

Also the latest siamoc 2016 conference had some interesting posters on algorithms and field data for fall detection apps that could be of inspiration.

The project idea looks good and it could develop into a great alternative to actigraph? @Francesco Zava why dont you harvest internal experiences from the magic group?

Great resources!

Well done @Rune . This is great stuff.

1 Like

A conversation about tech improvement of hardware

This is (finally) a conversation about tech improvement of hardware. @Amelia – moving it to the OE queue.

Small suggestion

First off, congrats!

Second, I remember the great video WeMake showed us in Milano about this prototype, with footage from a conversation and testing with Francesco. I missed it here in the post and on your website, it would look even better because it tells a beautiful story!

1 Like

it is here

the video is here

just wrote a small update about it :wink:

Proposta.

Ciao a Tutti

Mi chiedevo se le risorse interessanti suggerite da Rune ed il video non possano essere caricati sul web http://inpe.opencare.cc/.

Credo che questo possa essere richiesto gentilmente a Costantino, Alessandro e a Moushira che hanno seguito gli step intermedi dello sviluppo di InPe’.

Grazie