Installing a Nexcloud Client on your computer

Would like to get rid of the hassle of downloading and re-uploading documents from and to Nextcloud? You can try and install a Nextcloud client on your computer so that you can work on the files locally and the file gets synced with Nexcloud automatically.

A “client” is an app that you install on your computer. It will allow you to edit documents locally on your own machine. Changes will be saved automatically on the nextcloud server. These are changes going bottom up. From local machine to up to cloud server.

Track changes happen also top down. Changes that happen on the server, for example, a colleague makes changes to a document will also be synchroniced automatically in your local machine.

How to install the app? This is the link to download :arrow_down::arrow_down:

Download for desktop
Installation on Mac OS X and Windows is the same as for any software application: download the program and then double-click it to launch the installation, and then follow the installation wizard.

Note that when you install the app it will allow you to download files from the Reef nextcloud server. you can choose to download all the files in The Reef nexcloud server.
if you dont have a lot of space in your computer it’s better that you choose a folder you would like to work on more often. for ex: choose the folder of the working group your are involved in

you will also need to choose where in your local machine you will want to download and store those files

on windows

Follow steps in this video

on mac

Follow steps in this tutorial

2 Likes

Hello Manuel, thanks for this.

It would be nice to have a synced local copy of folders on Nextcloud. Your tutorial is about the mobile app, which is great (but document edit on a mobile… ugh). On a desktop Mac, it is not clear that I can do it. I installed a Nextcloud client, but then cannot log in. I get an error message that the username or password are wrong (not true). Can you try it too?

thanks alberto,. you are right , the video I chose for the mac was more for mobile. in this post we are talking about a desktop client, not a mobile client.

Installation on Mac OS X and Windows is the same as for any software application: download the program and then double-click it to launch the installation, and then follow the installation wizard.

it should work. you need to add the url of the instance and your password, it works for me, (in linux),

please try again and let me know if you encounter any problem,

Indeed, it works now for me too.

1 Like