Liliana Event Notes

If we want to shape the common sense five or ten years from now what will be considered relevant?

What will general principles about what we consider good or bad look like or work in practice?

What is something you are struggling with? What is out there to make our own biases less visible to the algorithms?

The individual needs vs individual capabilities, and the collective needs and capacities. One person may be fooled by a system, like cambridge analytica.

Elections, Cambridge analytica, Facebook

Algorithms like Facebook are pulling us into a certain bias. Gathering data and classifying a person based on a lot of data around. If I am moved from one reality to another, the categorization of me is probably not the same. Even in a certain culture. Behaviour and constant interaction influenced by culture.

If myself am less biased the algorithms are less likely to classify me.

How conscious I am myself about my own bias.

How can we get emotionally engaged into the ai discussion? What do you want to push against? Where are injustices related coming out of this?

the problem isn’t the algorithm, We have a tool: like a knife, it can be used for cooking in the kitchen or killing someone. Same with algorithms. Algorithms and the engineers cost a lot of money.

we have image recognition, we can create images, so if an algorithm is able to shape — it is possible and that is scary for em as a parents

in terms of mobilization and justice, perception of the actions and reactions of justice. We’ve seen the same thing playing out in different places for different reasons. Obvious injustice - the link between the situation and the AI land where this is scaled up. What happens when it scales up?

Why are we putting the wellbeing of people behind proprietary systems?

If actors say they need algorithms: why?

**What are the reasons people are unable to act upon algorithmic issues in society? **

**Where is the space in which humans can have agency? **

We have a lot of things like roads with are public, you can’t make a private road and make it public. But for some reason, we don’t have the same idea about data, and why not?

Why are we buying into these systems and who hold the power?