Living greener as therapy: how I stumbled upon plasticless, trees and diy protein

@noemi Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in this beautiful article. My journey with food has been something similar - it started with a seed. An avocado seed to be precise. :slight_smile:

Have to learn all about Tempeh from you and @winnieponcelet. Am considering growing mushrooms as well when it warms up a little, so some tips from the mycelium expert would be great!!

4 Likes

So happy to hear I have inspired you @noemi, you are an inspiration to me too! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m back in Cluj now, diving deep into research about peopleā€™s unmet social needsā€¦ I hoping to find ways to meet peopleā€™s social needs in a sustainable way, as a way to help more people adopt sustainable behaviours. Iā€™m still not sure how but Iā€™m keeping an open mind and planning to share the research results and then pick the brains of people much more cleverer than me for solutions. Letā€™s catch up at some point!

Happy #FlightFreeAdventures :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m looking at a 14hrs train ride Brussels-Valencia in early December! and the return.
2 days out of 4 on the trainā€¦ itā€™s going to be fun :stuck_out_tongue:

We will come visit you next year and bring some!
Also, we will be in Berlin in early March to visit and learn from other tempeh makers, so if youā€™re interested you should join us, I can send you the exact dates when we have them. It would be great to hang out too :stuck_out_tongue:
xx

Oh a pressure cooker discussion. Nice!

Damaged rubber gaskets and valves in European style pressure cookers are exactly why I love the elliptic-lid Indian style pressure cookers. There, the gasket is just a large O-ring, pressurized from the steam pressure between lid and pot because the lid is inside the pot when cooking. Also the valve is a simple weight on a pipe ā€“ nothing to be damaged there.

I have looked around for the ā€œperfectā€ Indian style pressure cooker for myself, and came up with the Hawkins Futura FP40 (or IFP40 for induction). The special property is that it can also be used for (light) frying at the start, so one pot less to use for recipes when I cook in the truck :slight_smile: Itā€™s the only Indian style pressure cooker that I know of that can also do frying. Also itā€™s a nice modern model, without bare aluminium. Price is 100-110 EUR in Europe (see, see) or 51 EUR if somebody brings it to you from India.

5 Likes

Uuuh this one looks nice! In fact I did a fairly thorough search on indian style pressure cooker - for the reasons you cited + they are often more ā€œoutdoor use compatibleā€ in their design. But I didnā€™t come accross this one.
Now you have me hoping one of my family / friendā€™s cooker will break so I have a reason to get this one.

In fact I had just bought an ELO 2.7L pressure cooker and the ā€œKochbuch fĆ¼r die kleine alte Frauā€ for my mom a few months ago. It seems like pretty good combo to get for aging relatives.

1 Like

That is a cool looking cooker.

Important tip for you DIY soy cookers who want to make things like tempeh: if you pressure cook soybeans to get them soft - and they wonā€™t get soft if you donā€™t - you must put a bit of oil into the water. Soybean skins tend to come off during cooking and under pressure they can get pushed up into the steam outlet. If the outlet clogs and pressure builds up, then emergency systems kick in. Back in the day when the pressure safety was just a rubber convex gasket, I watched more than once when the whole thing blew and sent a geyser of soybeans onto the ceiling. Quite a spectacle. And ā€œa mell of a hessā€, as my grandpa used to say.

1 Like