Mapping our way to a global vision of positive change

This mission is dedicated to Jacky Degueldre and all current and future Edgeryders.

Jacky wrote an excellent report, not long ago, and in it he mentioned the need for a map of related activities throughout the world.

Creating the map was the easy part.  Beginning to enter relevant information is by far the hardest part of this challenge.

The Map is available for all of us and can be found on Government in The Lab, we are all hoping that everyone finds value from this new resource.

As I noted, the map is far from complete and can only be made complete if we all work toghether to make it so.  Our shared knowledge, our collaboration, and our passion for creating insights for others to leverage, is what is critical for making this resources useful for future Edgeryders.  If you know of open data sets, organizations that are helping create change, conferences or events that others can learn from, job opportunities, or any other geographically bound item please stop by, login to CommunityWalk and share with us all.

Where do I fit?

This tool will be very useful, as Edgeryders can put themselves on the map! Thanks for taking the time to create it.

For your information, Jacky Degueldre's mission report, where he talked about his interest for a project of an interactive map, can be found here: “Qui veut sauver le monde avec nous?” (in French).

John, I created a profile at Community Walk. I tried to insert a new Category/Icon, but I receive a message that I do not have permission. Can you help me by adding a category to fit me in the project?

Euh… in fact, I don’t know in which category I should ‘map’ my… Self.

The Individuals Category?

The Nuts having big crazy dreams about open government Category would be most appropriate to describe myself. But I could alienate other people and end up alone in my category.

What should go into the ‘Open government’ Category? I suppose that this category would be for governments, and not for citizens with dreams of open government. Will there be a sub-category for open governments that we don’t know what it means yet, but there was an official declaration? Government of Canada would fit in this sub-category. Another cool sub-category coud be: Analysis about open government but unable to take the plunge. Government of Quebec would beautifully fit in there.

Should I be mapped into the ‘Projects’ which failed Category?

Or the Kundalini Category… for even bigger nuts trying to create a model of ‘luminous man’ to shine some light?

What about the Really trying hard Category, but having not reached their goals yet!

The Idealists Category.

The Activists Category.

Uh. This is a very difficult exercice! I really don’t know how to be mapped…

Only you Lyne :slight_smile:

and I mean that as a complement.  I would go with “The Nuts” but that would include all of us, you are not alone.

I created an icon/category for Individuals, can you try to add yourself now.

How will we promote this new tool?

I added myself and did a grateful comment on your individual marker, John.

How are we going to get eveyone to participate now? We could post an invite on each of Edgeryders participant’s profile. This would be a great way to get in touch with participants and engage more to become active. We could ask Noemi for the participants list. We split the list? (if we can gather a small team, 400 participants divided by number of teammates). Write a blog post in Edgeryders blog, when we have a bit more participation?

I will ping Jacky in his mission report, to see how he’d like to proceed.

Thank you Lyne

I would love to see the Edgeryder community made aware of it if possible as I put it together purely based upon the request of members of this community.

Let me know  how I can help.

John

OpenData map by CTIC Foundation

John,

Please, send to Jacky this link: http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/faceted/

It is the link of a World OpenData initiatives map, it’s made by CTIC Foundation, the W3C Spanish Office.

It’s the best OpenData’s world map that I’ve seen ever.

Regards.

Excellent!

That is a fantastic map too Marc, thank you for passing that one along!

Mapping the change of the World

Hi Great-job John, Hi Lyne, Hi Marc, what a terrific team! After Thomas More’s hero Raphael Hithloday I just had a dream of a new Utopia map and, click, click, it’s (nearly) done ! Created by another Mo(o)re I cannot thank and encourage enough for his wonderful initiative - and Lyne for being a gentle muse to both of us.

Do you know what? Tomorrow is my birthday and I think this dream Map - I didn’t open the pack yet…- is the best gift you could do to me to boost me up, really ! Starting tomorrow I will therefore begin to fill up your map, as you ask it John, with my own related informations. And think over the best way to promote it inside and outside Edgeryders, following Lyne’s personal briefing !

Let’s hope this common starting construction will be useful for a lot of people everywhere. With my grateful thanks for everyone’s participation.

Yesterday, thanks to a close friend of mine, my eyes came on two quotations I would like to share with all of you, despite the fact that those short texts are in French (Lyne, please, would you translate better than me?).

• The one is from famous Swiss geo-politologue and UNO sting activist Jean Ziegler, and is about Utopy, one of my favorite creative themes.

“L’utopie est le désir du tout autre. Elle désigne ce qui nous manque dans notre courte vie sur terre. Elle embrasse la justice exigible. Elle exprime la liberté, la solidarité, le bonheur partagé dont la conscience humaine anticipe l’avènement et les contours. Ce manque, ce désir, cette utopie constituent la source la plus intime de toute action humaine en faveur de la justice sociale planétaire. Sans cette justice, aucun bonheur n’est possible pour aucun d’entre nous.” (Jean Ziegler, L’empire de la honte)

• The second is far more ancient philosophy, but still working nowadays. Special thanks to the Roman imperator and Stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius (Marc Aurèle in French), who let us know his three powerful rules of life, translated by the late Pr Pierre Hadot for Philosophie Magazine:

“Voir la réalité telle qu’elle est, aimer les hommes et se mettre au service de la communauté humaine, accepter son destin.” (Marcus Annius Verus, 121-180).

From utopy to human reality, these lines are a good introduction to the work of the cartographers of our changing world, aren't they, my friends?

…See you on the Map ! Best regards, Jacky.

I look forward to seeing you on the map my friend, and one day I hope to see you in person as well.

Mapping the change of the World

Hi Great-job John, Hi Lyne, Hi Marc, what a terrific team! After Thomas More’s hero Raphael Hithloday I just had a dream of a new Utopia map and, click, click, it’s (nearly) done ! Created by another Mo(o)re I cannot thank and encourage enough for his wonderful initiative - and Lyne for being a gentle muse to both of us.

Do you know what? Tomorrow is my birthday and I think this dream Map - I didn’t open the pack yet…- is the best gift you could do to me to boost me up, really ! Starting tomorrow I will therefore begin to fill up your map, as you ask it John, with my own related informations. And think over the best way to promote it inside and outside Edgeryders, following Lyne’s personal briefing !

Let’s hope this common starting construction will be useful for a lot of people everywhere. With my grateful thanks for everyone’s participation.

Yesterday, thanks to a close friend of mine, my eyes came on two quotations I would like to share with all of you, despite the fact that those short texts are in French (Lyne, please, would you translate better than me?).

• The one is from famous Swiss geo-politologue and UNO sting activist Jean Ziegler, and is about Utopy, one of my favorite creative themes.

“L’utopie est le désir du tout autre. Elle désigne ce qui nous manque dans notre courte vie sur terre. Elle embrasse la justice exigible. Elle exprime la liberté, la solidarité, le bonheur partagé dont la conscience humaine anticipe l’avènement et les contours. Ce manque, ce désir, cette utopie constituent la source la plus intime de toute action humaine en faveur de la justice sociale planétaire. Sans cette justice, aucun bonheur n’est possible pour aucun d’entre nous.” (Jean Ziegler, L’empire de la honte)

• The second is far more ancient philosophy, but still working nowadays. Special thanks to the Roman imperator and Stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius (Marc Aurèle in French), who let us know his three powerful rules of life, translated by the late Pr Pierre Hadot for Philosophie Magazine:

“Voir la réalité telle qu’elle est, aimer les hommes et se mettre au service de la communauté humaine, accepter son destin.” (Marcus Annius Verus, 121-180).

From utopy to human reality, these lines are a good introduction to the work of the cartographers of our changing world, aren't they, my friends?

…See you on the Map ! Best regards, Jacky.

Great idea, let’s improve execution

I went in and played with the CommunityWalk map (by some miracle I remembered my login! I was using it in 2006, a couple of lives ago), adding Spaghetti Open Data. The idea is obviously appealing, and I would like to play ball. Before we launch into an all-out campaign, however, I would like to take a moment to wonder whether we can make it better. After my (admittedly short) test drive, here are my observations:

1. Scope. Is "Citizens for change" too broad? That's almost everybody, from the Salvation Army to Anonymous and the people involved in the GOP primaries. It risks being supercrowded and losing cohesion and legibility. Also, and critically, it is not clear what could be the initial core of users that add stuff to it. You even included government initiatives like dati.italia.gov - hardly "citizens", and even the "change" card is played in an understated kind of way.
  2. Location. So where is something like Spaghetti Open Data? On the Internet. Its address is its URL. Putting it on an actual map is not an intuitive exercise: there is no office, and given cloud computing we don't even know where the servers are. I ended up selecting the café in Rome where it all began in 2010, but good luck to somebody who wants to talk to SOD and goes to that address!
  3. Ontologies. Those who know me know that I have an issue with ontologies. I fully agree with Shirky that they are overrated. Lyne's difficulties with finding a category that fits with her are a symptom of a global disease. Like Shirky, I find an approach by tags more realistic and appropriate.
  4. Tool. I know we all have our pet tools and all that. Just curious: how deliberate was the choice of Community Walk? It is not the most intuitive tool of them all. The reason why I used it back then is exactly the color-coding of the markers, which makes for intuitive visualization when you are dealing with, well, ontologies. On top of that, it looks a bit derelict: it was one of the early movers on crowdsourced geotagging but now it looks exactly as it did in 2006, and I wonder even how long it can stay in business. The blog stops in August 2011.
Summing up: I propose John rethinks his idea a bit, in particular designing a pitch that we can push out, starting from Edgeryders. What exactly is this thing? Why should people collaborate? Once we are sure of what we are doing, and by what means, we roll it out. What does everyone think?

Great feedback as always

Alberto, thank you for the feedback.

This was put together quickly based upon the request I saw from Jacky (and I believe others).  The tool choice was deliverabe in that it was inexpensive, allows group editing, easily embedded, and 0 coding.  I can also export all markers so I can easily go with another tool when the time is right.

For now I will likely stick with this tool and approach as I’m not too worried about the mission, was proposing it purely as something that I thought could be beneficial for the Edgeryder community.

I’ll keep looking to provide supporting capabilities as I see needs raised here and, if they fit with future missions all the better.

Thanks.

Opportunity for collaboration

As an example, another tool was used, Universal Subtitles, to create subtitles in 9 languages of an Edgeryders presentation video. http://www.universalsubtitles.org/es/videos/14PHRm1OCieV/info/Edgeryders%20in%203%20minutes

In this case, there was no big thinking required, other than select a translation tool, and proceed. The categories were the different languages that exist. However, the one who took the initiative to do the translation tool, Lucas Gonzalez, was offered a space at Edgeryders’s blog, to present his initiative.

Not only does this collective effort benefit Edgeryders, but it serves as a model, to show to other government officials. I show it proudly to every decision makers I come across, and invite them to follow these footsteps.

Lucas Gonzalez did a first translation. Then, several members of the community participated and collaborated by adding other languages: Ibrahim Elbadawi, Alberto Cottica, somaria, yassine, Marc Garriga Portolà, Noemi Salantiu, Renato Turbati, Lyne Robichaud. Everyone was warmly thanked and applauded, as this great collaborative work was done by volunteers.

HERE, WE HAVE A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

Edgeryders team has not defined an interactive map projet, but this project could eventually benefit all its participants. It could become one of Edgeryders tools.

One Edgeryders participant, Jacky Degueldre, spoke about one of his needs/dreams, an interactive map, in his mission report, without further defining what this interactive map would be. Another Edgeryders participant, JohnFMoore, heard someone’s needs, and out of generosity, played the game, by doing a “Help a fellow Edgeryders”. He quickly put something together, hoping that the community will improve it. In addition, this participant is a partner, in the Edgeryders project.

Is it for John, to rethink this idea? Is this an opportunity for further collaboration and consolidation of a partnership?

As a member of the team Edgeryders, I would be happy to give a hand to define categories, and work on other tasks within a non-nerd’s reach.

“Citizens for change” is the new brand name of John’s social business. Before, it was called “Government in the Lab”. John has been recently playing with the name: @Citizensinthelab on Twitter, new Citizens for change discussion group, etc.  He probably just put the name of his new brand as the title for the map project.

Because this social business is not supported nor recognized by government authorities for the services it offers, not just to U.S. citizens, but to all citizens of the world, including European citizens, (my humble opinion) it would be a good opportunity to test how such a situation could be turned into a possible collaboration between a project (under authorities) and someone who tries a lot, who’s walking on the edge, but does not receive much support.

TheLab is often perceived as a big solid business, competing with large corporations, such as O’Reilly Media. We have this impression because it accomplishes a lot, with very little means. In reality, it is a frail construction, held at arm’s length by a guy who tests all sorts of things, trying to do his best to meet community needs. As a one-man band, he is willing to contribute — has a big heart — but only has 10 fingers. Maybe I’m wrong, but I see this as an example of opportunity of collaboration. Sometimes, unexpected things happens, during a project, new ideas emerge, that were not part of the initial designed plan. Should we let them run? How can governments cope with such situations? Can this be turned into a model experience?

Lyne, your support is always appreciated.

I wanted to clarify a couple of points not specific to the map.

• Government in The Lab remains as the online magazine, focused on government and politics around the world.
  • Citizens in The Lab is an online community, newly launched, focused on trying to educate citizens, collaborate, crowdsource, efforts. 
Both will work in tandem to deliver great information and help to lead to more community based projects.  I am hopeful that Citizens in The Lab can jump in and help out the Edgeryders community by embracing needs raised and delivering solutions.

You are right, however, that the solutions may be quick (if just me doing it) or, as we grow this community in size, more elaborate and more useful.

Stay tuned.

Hi Alberto,  thanks for your constructive and pertinent observations.

I already posted some other positive comments about that on the ER mission started by John. Well, somewhere elsewhere I guess…

Here is (not for your eyes only!) an interesting non-geographic and interactive cybertree-mapping man can obtain via a Twitter special application named “Mentionmapp.com

Starting from a simple Twitter account like mine @JackyDegueldre or @JohnFMoore or @Lyne_Robichaud or @yours, everyone using this tool is able to see main links and main thematic hashtags related to an individual or an organization like Edgeryders. Plus the supposed location of your front office, if mentioned in the identification datas.

Could this kind of app, if available in open data with copyleft, be a good technical solution, mixed or not mixed with conventional cartography, to form and give a virtual view of a processing and progressing network?

Considering the dynamic evolution since The Atlas of Cyberspaces state of the art circa 2008, I’m sure that there is, somewhere in the open data space, some user’s friendly applet , readymade for a comprehensive representation and geolocation of a networking network in progress… Imagine each of us can locate, contact  and meet for synergy, in our own close target area, every citizens organisation separately or thematically working on open data and/or transition questions… Connected in the cloud and in the city, more reactive and efficient than public servants, without political or institutional barriers…Unofficial but democratically powerful.

Am I dreaming or not ?

Love it

Jacky, I love mentionmapp! It makes sense for something like Edgeryders, too - shame that the time depth of the feed is so low. But “real” maps have some mythical power, and John’s idea is simple and effective. Any idea for getting more people in the Edgeryders community to engage? After all we have more than 400 registered users, if even just 40 people engaged with this map thing we would see a good party.

Two practical questions for John

Hey John,

1. it seems I have no access to the embed code. If I click onto the "code snippets" link I get the login screen and get stuck... not surprising, since I was logged in to begin with. Are others having the same problem? I would like to share it through the home page of Edgeryders.
  2. this mission report is assigned to "Bootcamp", which is a little strange. If I had to assign it to an Edgeryder mission I would probably assign it to "Hacking for change". What do you think?

Strange… I’ll email you

Strange… I’ll email you the embed code in a text file (so it doesn’t get corrupted).

Switch campaign: d’accord avec toi!

“Hacking for change” is initially what JohnFMoore thought for this mission. Last week, John asked us by email, where to fit this project, before creating this mission report. Due to the flou artistique around the notion of hacking we encountered previously, I headed him to another mission, to avoid problems (like amateurism, for instance).

The suggestion of ​​JohnFMoore’s map project being transferred into ‘Hacking for change’ really pleases me. (Smiles) Because the idea behind this map comes from people who do not consider themselves a second as ‘hackers’, but may have a little hint of it, deep down somewhere in their soul. What I like about this situation is the fact that non-technical citizens collaborate on projects to ‘deploy technologies to enable citizens to communicate and mobiize on the issues they care about’.

Moreover, this report would add an additional mission to the campaignWe the people’.

But really, having John (and the rest of us) switch to the world of hackers, it is something that really makes me smile a lot. A nice surprise. Thank you.

Hacking for change

FYI, following Alberto’s recommendation, I switched this mission report to 3rd campaign WE THE PEOPLE ‘Hacking for change’.