Merging Multilingual Codes

OK Talked to @Jan and he says 2, so let’s set it in the calendar! 2PM Wed.

1 Like

Hell yeah :mage:

1 Like

Hello all. Did I get it right, we have a zoom-call this Wednesday, 3rd May at 14:00 GMT? Unfortunately, I took vacation, as I have an out-of-Prague day meeting with my other employer set on Wednesday two weeks ago. But, since our edgeryders meeting will be within a lunch break (13:00 CET), I hope, I might be able to leave and log in to Zoom for some time. Hope my internet connection would work fine (I will be on mobile data). Or perhaps, if you could record the meeting and I will watch it after I get home on Wednesday, later in the evening, or Thursday, it would be great too. If you are OK with it. Thanks and greetings to you all, Zdenek

1 Like

No worries! I’m just catching Jan and Richard up on some things, so you don’t need to be there unless you want to.

@Jirka_Kocian, do you want to discuss the issues above in a call? If so, I can plan to just meet with you and @SZdenek at a time convenient for you both next week, then post the notes on platform. I think this will help us move forward more efficiently.

1 Like

Hi @amelia

Are meeting on the Edgeryders platform (like we did for our last group meeting) or should I create a Zoom link?

R

Zoom would be great.

https://zoom.us/j/4149496930

1 Like

oops, sorry, missed out on the call possibility, I agree we could talk the three of us (but anyone can join anyway besides @Amelia and @SZdenek ) - next week Tuesday Wednesday-Thursday would be good for me, maybe we could doodle it? I entered my options into the poll below Expired Group Poll - Create a New Poll or Contact the Owner

@Jirka_Kocian, the Doodle does not work for me when the times are set on “some time between 11:00 and 18:00”. I can do a Zoom-meeting Wednesday (10th June) 8:30 to 15:30, and Thursday 8:30 to 14:30 - our time/CET. (On Monday, only if necesery, 15:00 to 17:00 (or later).) (Fridays are usually fine for me.)

OK, let’s say Thursday 11 June at 10-11 UK, 11-12 CET.

Work for you too, @Jirka_Kocian? Anyone else is of course welcome to join, but I want to get this firmly on the schedule (I talked to @Jan and @Richard on Wednesday so we’ve checked in recently).

2 Likes

Yes Thursday is fine at this time

@Wojt would you like to join the call on Thursday? @Jan fyi

@matthias, @alberto, can we plan to have an updated POPREBEL SSNA generated July 1st? That way we can use it to write an updated report on the state of the conversation. This also gives @Wojt and @Jan a little time to get going on the Polish coding. @Jirka_Kocian and @SZdenek, we can talk about this on Thursday, but let’s set July 1 as a deadline by which to finish the latest batch of coding / code edits for visualisation.

2 Likes

Fabulous coding meeting today! Notes and action items:

@alberto and @matthias, we are on track for a July 1st visualisation. We will code (Czech forum will do a sprint) and refine/merge our codes for that deadline, at which point we will shift to analysis mode for 2 weeks and produce a writeup for July 15th.

Using the SSNA to guide us, we will then create coding categories/hierarchies in the backend using all of the POPREBEL codes (across languages) in English form.

To do this, we’d like to request a few things:

1. Matthias, am I right that you mentioned that we can now set a default view of the codebook to our own codes instead of all codes? If so, can you point us to how we can do this? The extra click is proving very time-consuming.

2. We also need a way to view the POPREBEL codes all together in the backend, so we can create hierarchies (parent/child relations) among all the codes. Is this possible (even just as a “group of creators” grouping, which includes @Jirka_Kocian, @SZdenek, @amelia, @Jan, @Wojt, and eventually @Richard)?

3. @Jirka_Kocian and @SZdenek would like to be able to see each others’ codes together in the backend and have them suggested to each other while coding. Can we group these two together (and/or instead have all codes in that language (Czech) grouped together/suggested?)

Action Items for Coding Team (important also for @Jan and @Wojt and @Richard ) :

1. It looks like the codes do in fact display in English if they have an English translation attached to them, so make sure that you assign the English translation to all codes in the backend. @SZdenek and @Jirka_Kocian, it’s easy to see which ones don’t have a translation attached, because they appear in Czech and not English when you open your coding page (like nedostatek vize below).

If you open the code and click “Add”, you can add the translation under “Name” and select “English” from the dropdown.

1. In our own codebooks, we will create a tab in which we organise the codes roughly by categories (that we decide upon), making them easier to search by other team members. Do this as regularly as possible so the codebooks are more easily navigated.

2. Wait to assign hierarchies / parent-child relations in the backend until we do this together as a batch after the SSNA visualisation, since our hierarchical relationships now affect each other. Do this as much as you want in your own codebook— this is encouraged (see point 2)

3. Do cleaning work as you code, specifically making sure to merge any codes that are the same across language fora (with permission of the original creator, unless the exact overlap is very self-evident).

4. We are tracing an emergence of codes that are somewhere in between invivo codes and strictly descriptive codes. These are conceptual categories used by informants that differ from the way the same categories are used in the political science literature. For example, @Jirka_Kocian is finding that his informants are using the category ‘communism’ in specific ways, but ways that differ from the definition as used by political scientists. So we have decided upon the following naming framework:

• Codes that are invivo should be in double quotes: “witch” or “the East”
  • Codes that are in between (conceptual categories used by informants), like the above, are in single quotes: ‘communism’ or ‘patriotism’
  • Codes that are descriptive codes carry no quotation marks

This framework will help us understand meaningful differences between informant conceptual categories (in and across language fora) and academic literature conceptual categories – and hopefully will let us start an analytical conversation with other partners, particularly the glossary deliverable. We will edit existing codes to fit this framework and move forward using it.

Happy coding, all, and excited to see what the visualisation brings on the 1st!

1 Like

We keep circling around a “project” or “collection” database entity… in principle, the POPREBEL collection of codes is automagically generated by a SQL query that, in natural language, would be more or less: “grab all codes that refer to annotations that refer to posts that have the ethno-poprebel Discourse tag”. No entity needed, but if I imagine a home page for ethnographers, I imagine they would be presented with a list of ethno-something codes, representing projects. Maybe each of them would be described by the number of annotations and codes associated to it, and the names of the people who authored those annotations.

@matthias does any of that break things? Is it “too ad hoc”, and should become rather a DB field for the code entity? Also note: this opens up the possibility for visualizations in different colors, etc.

FInally: @amelia, may I put this super interesting topic in the public workspace? Nothing secret that I can see. The public workspace should always be preferred, especially for methodological discussions of general interest.

1 Like

Yep, please do!

I’d request that we don’t make too many things database entries if that means the only way we can add them is by doing it manually through the backend. It’s really time-consuming to not be able to do these things while doing the coding itself (like assigning English translations). That being said, I of course understand we have to do this if it would break something otherwise.

:star_struck:

Hi, folks!

I’m so sorry for not attending the meeting, I assumed that the meeting was going to take place next Thursday since today we have a bank holiday in Poland and to my mind it kind of became obvious that we are all celebrating Corpus Christi :slight_smile:
I missed the chance to meet you all :confused:

Hi, everybody.
I was wondering if the same would be possible for me and @Jan ?