Now hiring: German community manager

I’m behind my plans, due to a cold. Sorry about this. But the community is still on my agenda and I’ll be back soon. :slight_smile:

One question concerning the social media promotion: can everyone read the comments too? Feels strange when my application is shared with this. Or did I get something wrong?

1 Like

Hi Ulrike,

Yes, people can read this thread as our platform is a public forum. We do this open recruitment to preserve transparency in the way we work, for the sake of the community and providing access to each other, forging new connections between members etc. That means that even if someone doesn’t get a particular gig, they can meet others in the process or stay looped in with other opportunities. It also makes it easier for the community managers or those coordinating the work to handle everything in one place. The questions candidates have get pooled in, and responses may be accessed by others.

That being said, feel free to only share what you are comfortable with and edit or delete your comments as you see fit. You can also message me or Richard in private for more confidential information (see our profile pages - there is a message button there where you can directly contact us) .

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the information above, @noemi. I’m sure, it will take some time to explore the community. But this is quite normal. Communitys are like a new town. First you think: Boahh I’ll never find my way and after a while you do not even notice where to go because it is all so familiar. :slight_smile:

I like your Social Contract and the Guide for Community Managers. Do all Community Managers welcome all new members? Might be confusing for the “Newbies”. What is your experience with this? What is the time frame for welcomes or answers? By the way, is the access to “check for new users” restricted to team members? Following the link I’ve got an error message (no longer available or private).

Producing good (sharable) content to bring people to the platform and creating an appreciative atmosphere that encourages new members to participate in the discussions, is the best way to reach the critical mass in a community. It’s not easy as I know from my former jobs. But it is such a great feeling when you realize that people start discussing with each other without your support. :slight_smile:

So yes, most from all the above speaks to me.

How will things go on? For me, the personal impression of the people I probably will have to work with, is as important as the topics. How about a video call?

2 Likes

Community managers have a routine of picking and welcoming members who might be part of the project they are working on. For example - in POPREBEL we were looking at usernames that seemed to be Polish/Czech/Serbian. It is not always easy to guess because of incomplete profile information, but we coordinated to cover the gaps and each community manager welcomes people within a max one week after signup.
Indeed, the list of new members is available to site moderators - therefore to the community managers on board.

Sure, I’ll follow with a private msg!

Hi @noemi,
so nice meeting you.
Unfortunately I have been dealing with some health issues the past weeks which is why it wasn’t able to respond until now.
I began to read the manifest of POPREBEL. I’m so grateful to learn more about various types of populism, so thanks a lot for the work and effort everybody put into that.
Even though I believe my chances to be picked for the job are ridiculously low, because I’m no professional community manager but Ulrike is, I wanted to let you know that I am still interested in your work!
Populism is a topic that should concern us all, especially people like me who are or will be working with different kinds of people affected by it.
As a social worker to be I am particularly happy to read about how you see the community as a work of everyone who is part of it plus the people you haven’t reached yet. No matter the gender, nationality, age or whatever it is - we’re all different and that is it what makes us special.
What I am wondering is: how do we get to know the community good enough considering the 8 hours of work? I know that getting to know people is a quite long process, specifically online. And as I understand it you’d like the community managers to know the guys we’re talking to (which is totally fine with me of course). I just can’t imagine the dimensions of the project right now (maybe because of my lack of experience I must admit).
So my experience with community is more a reallife expierence, like organising learning groups or other student-centred stuff (e.g. discussions in the lectures). This is why I like how you’d like us to greet every new member of the community - as I get it this would be the German speaking?
In almost every smaller lecture of my studies we do like a small introduction round so we get to know eachother a little better.

Hope all of you will have a pleasant weekend!

4 Likes

Hi

In good periods when we do a lot of engagement we would have a few signups a day/ country. Our role is to help direct the people to the opportunities of the project - and it starts with inviting them to share their story. By reading their stories and interacting with them is how you get to know them. It comes natural - to give you an example, writing a thoughtful comment takes me 20 minutes at most (reading the story and coming up with questions or links to offer to the author). When I go in to answer for the second time, I simply resume the conversation.
We do not expect more than a few tens of stories in the German community this year, so it should be doable.

Let’s talk more in private, i will set up a call so we can go through the requirements and see if we are a good fit for each other!

3 Likes

We talked about the community manager role also known as “Eierlegende Wollmilchsau:smiley:
I wrote about it in 2012 (!) and definetely had fun with it. Don’t take it too seriously. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think it was interesting that Social media manager and Community manager roles were fitted both under the more strategic Social media consultant role.
This reminds me of how most community managers roles are needed as a cog in the corporate sector online marketing machine.

For non-profits, and community organisations as a whole, I’m pretty sure today this should look differently. As we discussed in our call, we need community managers to take on more responsibility with respect to growing the membership and the relationships quality, and this involves so much more than moderation.

I also see the caveat of piling in a lot of skills into the role - especially smaller organisations cannot afford a very segmented and specialized role, and prefer people with (too) many talents :-)) That was spot on and a very legitimate criticism, Ulrike. Thank you for sharing it with us!

1 Like

Hello! I apologize, but I can’t see the application deadline (even though I see that the job starts this month), so I am wondering: is this position still open? Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Dear @marijanesque

The application period is open-ended until we find someone. Please do submit an application.

3 Likes

Hello,

I woke up yesterday feeling simply overwhelmed by everything that’s been going on in the world. The refugees crisis on the European borders added to the intense conversations I’ve been having everyday with my friends lately, in real life or social media: the Hanau shootings, N-word usage, racism and lack of diversity and representation in art and on a daily basis in Germany and elsewhere, not to mention the corruption and disinterest suffocating my homeland. Hours later, I received an email from Noemi, with this job description. Somehow it made sense.

I have no educational background in politics or social sciences, however I found my own way of activism through my artistic practice. All my political awareness and engagement is a learning process that started since coming to Germany for my MA in film with Wim Wenders at the HfbK Hamburg in 2011. Romanian-born and raised, I was now to find my own place in the world and connect with people that share my mindset, because being part of any kind of minority teaches you that you just cannot not be political. This has organically developed itself into an ongoing video project called all the fridas, the beauty of rebellion ( https://allthefridas.com ). The aim was to bring together a community and ask questions, have genuine conversations and try to fill gaps that felt urgent, being proactive and personal in our practices. If you flip through it, you’ll see that diversity and representation, as well as equality and kindness are basic and common features that connect us, all the people being involved in the project being friends that are mostly all politically active in their own personal way.

Now living in Berlin as a freelance filmmaker, I’m actively involved in the pre-production of our feature film debut and the all the fridas project is on hold. The urgency to address relevant issues is still there, just the form of the storytelling is changing - we tell a story of a post-migrant family in Germany, basically addressing present migrant/ post-migrant human experiences in Europe and actually anywhere really - Cinema is our subtly political tool to react to what’s currently going on, because the story only changes when we change the storytellers.

I thought I’d share this with you because it briefly sums up my drive, where I come from and where I’m standing now on the issues that I feel that we have in common. Yes, it’s a different way of activism, engagement and storytelling, but as long as our interest and curiosity and goals are alike, I would love to learn more about being a community manager in this new context. I’m genuinely interested in this new kind of challenge and open to offer you my time and energy 8h hours a week for trying to speak out and bring people together and make a change (both in English and German). I’m looking forward to seeing if you think the same.

Warm regards,
Dana

1 Like

Hei Dana, thanks for applying and sharing the call,

Have you had a chance to look through the links shared here?
My question to you would be: how do you feel about needing to be a bit of a loudspeaker for the project and reach out to your networks to get their stories in writing? (can you describe to us your network, some groups or people (profiles) whom you know and would think they might be approached?
Also, how do you feel about helping organise events in Berlin?

Hi Noemi,

Yes, of course I checked your links. It’s new territory in some extent as far as I’m concerned, but one that I’d be interested to take on. Also, I had the feeling you’re looking out of the box :slight_smile:

My close circle in Berlin is definitely artist and media-based like Aminata Belli (journalist and moderator), Moshtari Hilal (artist and researcher) or platforms like Keychange (I’m relatively new in this one). I do realise now that my actual Eastern-European connection is not that strong, whereas my interest for what’s going on in this area is - getting myself more involved in this dynamic is one reason why I liked Poprebellion as a project in the first place. And yes, I can imagine being involved in helping organise events in Berlin and use my voice for it.

Now regardless of me being a good fit for this position in your project or not, please feel free to reach out whenever you feel you need my contribution or support x

1 Like

Got it!
The good thing about this recruitment process lagging is that our community engagement approach for this year is upcoming (later this month), and it will be slightly different from last year - which means that the community manager terms of reference can evolve to accommodate the person’s type of network and content that can come from that - in your case, it would be trying to get a mixed media content in, since you are strong in visual communication. :slight_smile:
Thanks for your patience Dana! We will be in touch if needed,

1 Like

Hi @Richard, @noemi, and POPREBEL team,
hi everybody else!

I recently re-discovered Edgeryders after a conversation with @nadia, and this looks like a great opportunity to dive deeper into this community!

What a fascinating project! I wonder who isn’t talking about populism these days with all that’s happening both on a larger political scale, as well as the widening social inequality - I suppose you’d call this “fatigue”, and it’s quite interesting to read about the delay of this effect and yet alarming in its instrumentalization.

The project’s approach of improving sensemaking tools is powerful, and the threat of replication in other parts of Europe and the world is palpable, and I’d be happy if my background can be useful to contribute to this project’s success!

As a POC, I’ve had a lot of personal touchpoints with right-wing populism - I was a 3-month old orphan in South Korea when I was adopted by a German mother and US father. I spent most of my youth in Germany, and when I returned after college, I arrived in a country that was paying lots of attention to a 'callous intellectual’ who published an inflammatory xenophobic book in 2010. Since then I’ve spent lots of energy trying to bring awareness to this cultural “Rechtsruck”, which mostly fell on deaf ears (even among many climate activists). Lately however, there seems to be more openness to this topic, and it has become more of an issue among my networks (even climate justice is now increasingly becoming part of the conversation). I would be very interested in widening my understanding of the supply-side on the four dimensions you plan to study, and the effectiveness of the responses.

Related to the issues on which participants are asked to share stories, these are areas I’m interested in and I think I can contribute to a good exchange and atmosphere. I think well-being should be at the center of our (economic) systems, surely rather than growth of GDP. As a father, I’ve gained new perspectives on the issues of health, care, spirituality, work, and prosperity, which I think increases my empathy when engaging with people from all walks of life.

Professionally, on top of co-creating social entrepreneurship programs (see here), I’ve been part of building the MakeSense community in Berlin since 2011, and served on the global board laying the foundation for its community-led governance. In 2013, I did a TEDx talk on building community through shared activity/creativity - which I think is very much a part of what Emily Thomey was describing. I also full well know the challenging feeling of building/engaging a community… There have been more than a few community meetings where I was the only person to show up. However, connecting people is what I do even when nobody is watching (or paying), so to me it’s just part of learning by doing/failure.

The guide for community managers is a nice basis that I could contribute to develop from experiences as a community manager and facilitator, another example includes utopia.de, where I managed the online community before the current redesign (an interview that’s still online here), or as a facilitator of numerous workshops (e.g. here or here).

I come with both an entrepreneurial spirit as well as a desire to be in service of impactful projects. Shall we have a call to explore how I can be useful?

Thanks for reading until here, have a great evening! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ping @noemi

1 Like

I would very much like that!
I had developed a more Edgeryders general manual in the early years, and this one ref above is the one customized for Poprebel. I think its high time to revisit them both and update the general one which we could use in most projects. Me and @johncoate do in person community mgmt trainings as a way to on-board team members, but also as a third party service. So, we have much to put into a written manual!

Thanks for your thorough read about the project, actually about both projects! Poprebel and Fatigue. I’m sure @Richard and @Jan will appreciate that!
We’re following up with an invite to a call!

1 Like

I’m just listening to the webinar from your community building course on teachable, it seems like the course covers a lot of ground, so it looks like there’s lots to work with.

Looking forward to speaking with you!

P.S. I think there might be a bug on the academy site: The video seems to be running in two instances, if I pause the one I see, another keeps on playing (sound). I grabbed the direct vimeo link to be able to pause it.

1 Like

Yes, that site is altogether buggy I’m afraid. It was a sprint to even design it. I apologize!
Glad you found a way!

The call is now closed. Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest in the position and apologies for taking such a long time to work through the applications.