Ongoing training / The Empowerment Manual

Hi @reeflings!

One of things that has been considered important right from the start of this project is ongoing training. We’re a self-managed group in the process of building something pretty special, yet we are still learning about some of the fundamentals. For this reason, all members of the Reef are encouraged to:

With this in mind, I am proposing an autumn study group based on the book The Empowerment Manual, by Starhawk. It comes highly recommended, and focuses on collaborative groups, in particular with regard to concepts such as power, trust, responsibility and communication. It has been described as ‘a vitally important manual for those of us stepping forward to build resilient communities together’ and ‘a guide to ensure the survival of those of us who us who are struggling to work collaboratively’. I don’t think we are struggling to work collaboratively… in fact, quite the opposite. But I think that the skills and experiences that come through this book will stand us in good stead for the inevitable challenging times ahead :slight_smile:

So! As those of you who have been living in Brussels for a while will know, August is the month for catching up on all the books you’ve been meaning to read for the last year. Although this is very rarely achieved in practice, it’s the best opportunity we have. So here’s the plan:

• If you are interested, reply to this thread.
  • Read the book, which is available on Nextcloud: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/3076.
  • Make a note of any questions or insights you have.
  • Make a note of any exercises in the book you might like to lead with the rest of us.

In September, those of us who are interested in using this book as a way of cultivating our collective intelligence can find a time to meet, to discuss what we’ve learned, do some the exercises, and think about ways in which we can incorporate our learning into the wider community…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great - I just ordered the book :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wunderbar! Probably a bit premature to call ourselves a ‘group’, but with one more person we can move from a pair to a trio, and legitimately be on the cusp of ‘grouphood’ (definitely a word… no need to look it up) :wink:

2 Likes

Count me in, and thanks so much for taking this up!

I have a hard copy that I can lend if anybody would be interested.

1 Like

Good Idea. I have tons of books to read and added this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Trio achieved!

Grouphood achieved!!

Wikipedia reliably informs me that a group of four is technically called a ‘tetrad’, but warns that with the exception of musical quartets, they tend not to last as long as other group sizes (you’re welcome).

So looking forward to additional members joining us in our group-intelligence building endeavours… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am in as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is happening people! Looking forward to our post-summer discussion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to lend your book @Lee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ChrisM can we please plan a date for this?

For sure! With all the meetings etc. going on at the moment, I can’t find a time in the near future, but I’ll set up a poll as soon as I can see some blue sky in my agenda…

1 Like