One of things that has been considered important right from the start of this project is ongoing training. We’re a self-managed group in the process of building something pretty special, yet we are still learning about some of the fundamentals. For this reason, all members of the Reef are encouraged to:
- Read up on relevant subjects (Books and Manuals folder: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/3028)
- Attend training courses on sociocracy etc. (e.g. at https://www.sociocracyforall.org/training/)
- Join Reef training events (e.g. Facilitation training)
- Start study groups on particular topics (e.g. NVC Practice Group \_ Experiential Learning on NVC)
With this in mind, I am proposing an autumn study group based on the book The Empowerment Manual, by Starhawk. It comes highly recommended, and focuses on collaborative groups, in particular with regard to concepts such as power, trust, responsibility and communication. It has been described as ‘a vitally important manual for those of us stepping forward to build resilient communities together’ and ‘a guide to ensure the survival of those of us who us who are struggling to work collaboratively’. I don’t think we are struggling to work collaboratively… in fact, quite the opposite. But I think that the skills and experiences that come through this book will stand us in good stead for the inevitable challenging times ahead
So! As those of you who have been living in Brussels for a while will know, August is the month for catching up on all the books you’ve been meaning to read for the last year. Although this is very rarely achieved in practice, it’s the best opportunity we have. So here’s the plan:
- If you are interested, reply to this thread.
- Read the book, which is available on Nextcloud: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/3076.
- Make a note of any questions or insights you have.
- Make a note of any exercises in the book you might like to lead with the rest of us.
In September, those of us who are interested in using this book as a way of cultivating our collective intelligence can find a time to meet, to discuss what we’ve learned, do some the exercises, and think about ways in which we can incorporate our learning into the wider community…