Open Call: Edgeryders is Hiring Local Engagement Managers in Nepal

I am Interested

Looks like you do not entertain facebook… but, I have been writing about my involvement in facebook actively you can check it out here

thanks

Sanitation and perhaps terra preta contact

Hi Kumar,

I thought of something that may help in the longer term, written there https://edgeryders.eu/en/comment/16993#comment-16993 .

I suggest you call one of his staff on the telephone directly after lunch when they are still relaxed and not busy with something else. :slight_smile: Here are the contacts again:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=ne&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuhh.de%2Faww%2Fmitarbeiter%2Fprofessoren%2Fralf-otterpohl.html&sandbox=1

My impression is that either Gabriela (perhaps with support from Stefan) would be the right people for the job. If they aren’t, or they are too busy - ask them if they could refer you to a colleague who may be in a better position to help. Expect them to be a bit flabberghasted because you aren’t following the “correct procedure”, but if you are well prepared and can keep it friendly and very brief (you can usually be very direct with Germans) - I think you have good chances. Unfortunately it looks like poor Gabriela did not get a telephone - so you may have to call Stefan (ends on -3441) and ask him to get her on the phone (usually they are next door or so). Perhaps you want to take a short look at their research (especially that of Prof. Otterpohl) beforehand, so you are on the same page. If you feel better about it you can send an email a day or so before, so they can prepare mentally. German lunch ends from a bit before 4pm - 5pm in Nepal. I’d be happy if you can tell me how it went! :slight_smile:

Whoa

You seem really well connected, @trythis. Appreciated!

More a wild guess, with some google guestimation

I’ve never seen either of them - but I know their boss a little bit. And the previous boss of the boss. My guess is the culture there won’t change too drastically too fast. And if it does - probably in a good way. Also, that topic usually does not attract a**holes (at least spiritual, you know…) :slight_smile:

Plus, Gabriela certainly has some Mexican roots - she probably knows what suffering is, and what helpfulness means.

Vinay?

I just saw Ralf also has one of @hexayurt's videos on his like-list on his channel - and commented on it, @Natalia_Skoczylas @Matthias guys you gotta reach out here! Boy, what a small world…

1 Like

Namaste everyone! Glad to read all the applications. I will give the rest of the people time until Friday to apply - meanwhile, I’d like to ask additional questions to a few of you. @Kumarpaudel, i cannot open the fb link, it says it is broken. Anyway, we do use Facebook as Edgeryders. Now, if you could tell me, what’s your idea to use social media to engage people in this online platform - first to bring them here, and them make them use it on a longer term? How do you make connections with people most effectively in Nepal? (I was told it is a very oral culture, which means a lot has to be done in informal, face to face meetings I believe, but we still want them to use this virtual space for dialogue) And maybe what’s your background

Looking forward to your reply:)

FB link didn’t work for me either, but

I assume this is the next best thing: Kumar Paudel - Kathmandu, Nepal, MSc Environmental Management, Pokhara University | about.me

The fb link seems to contain some UTF-8-fuckup that like to sneak in there. @Natalia, you can get on with your work and ignore the rest of the post. :slight_smile:

In my experience especially when you leave the “westen charset”.

“kumarpaupel” in the link was followed by “=C2=A0” , which represents 00A0 in UTF-8, which is the Unicode for non-breaking space. I may be wrong but I think I have come across this sort of issue before here. Perhaps @Noemi could have someone who knows drupal & html a little better than me have a look at it [with a low priority] - as this sort of thing could crop up more often in the future. [the @Noemi-thing didn’t work when I re-edited the comment - workaround was copypaste from fresh comment. Perhaps also worth a look. [edit of edit: apparently it gets interpreted right, so this is only a tiny issue]

Fixed the link.

@trythis, nice to meet ya. I’m usually playing webmaster of this site and currently I’m in Kathmandu alongside @Natalia_Skoczylas. So, I just took the freedom to fix the concerned Facebook link. Indeed there was a non-breaking space at the end which had to be removed. The problem did not happen due to charset variation however, but due to a limitation / bug in Drupal’s auto-linking module, which only uses a space character as delimiter of URLs, and not also “ ” as we had in this case. Auto-linking was a repeated user request some time ago, and though I don’t like raw URLs in text too much, I guess we have to live with the limitations for now. We can of course report this to the concerned Drupal module, or fix it ourselves, as always in open source …

Hi

Nice to “meet” you! Learn something new everyday :slight_smile:

Is that satphone issue still pressing? I nudged someone at it, but I assume nothing happened - if it is still pressing, I can try a prod.

I would like to ask similar question @Rajendra_Bhandari - how do you see this space as a potential place for dialogue about different social and political issues (not only, but among them)? What would make Edgeryders The project here - interesting and valuable?

@Rajendra_Bhandari, I'd like to know how would you see that work happening in Nepal as well. What would make this platform an interesting and valuable space for Nepali to connect and talk with each other? - See more at: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-nepal/open-call-engagement-mgr#comment-17012
@Rajendra_Bhandari, I'd like to know how would you see that work happening in Nepal as well. What would make this platform an interesting and valuable space for Nepali to connect and talk with each other? - See more at: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-nepal/open-call-engagement-mgr#comment-1701
@Rajendra_Bhandari, I'd like to know how would you see that work happening in Nepal as well. What would make this platform an interesting and valuable space for Nepali to connect and talk with each other? - See more at: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-nepal/open-call-engagement-mgr#comment-17012m
@Rajendra_Bhandari, I'd like to know how would you see that work happening in Nepal as well. What would make this platform an interesting and valuable space for Nepali to connect and talk with each other? - See more at: https://edgeryders.eu/en/future-makers-nepal/open-call-engagement-mgr#comment-17012

waiting for things to happen

Dear all,

Sorry for the facebook link troubles. On the next move, waiting to meeting you people in person. I think that would make more sense. Interested people can call me in my cellphone +977-9851092919. Hope good things happen pretty soon.

Update: we are closing the call tomorrow, Friday, 8th of May 2015 (or 2072) at 23:59 Nepali Standard Time :wink: Some of the meetings will happen on Friday already, the rest on Saturday and Monday. If there is a great fit hiding out there and you know of it, please forward them the link. We will be in touch with you via email - stay tuned.

1 Like

Hello,

I am Meena Bhatta. Currently I am associated as a faculty at Department of Conflict, Peace and Development Studies, Tribhuwan University. I teach political economy of conflict, human security and gender modules to the Master’s level students at the department. Having graduated in Conflict, Peace and Development Studies itself I posses sizable knowledge on nuances of conflict, peace and development. I have experience of engaging with community at different level and I am of the view that engaging and binding communities is the best way to deal with any kind of crisis. The crisis that struck Nepal recently demands the high engagement of people and the state. More importantly what is needed is a border coordination between state, society and the international community. With an influx of aid from Nepal’s friends far and distance, what lies ahead of us is the proper management and utilization of the aid.  Its time that we the people fill up the void and engage in whatever way we can to build our nation and probably that could be the only best way to revive and shine  at this moment of crisis. I myself was engaged in collection of relief materials for the earthquake stricken people in the Dahachowk- a village near Kathmandu. I took the lead to collect relief materials from my locality to be dispatched to the victims. Likewise, we conducted cleanliness and sanitation awareness campaign from the department at the wake of crisis. And surprising we were able to bring about a great deal of impact-- people coming out of their houses with brooms to clean up the street after seeing us doing the same brought joy to us. I have networks with people and institutions directly and indirectly involved in disaster management and with all the skills and network i have, I feel I can positively contribute towards this great initiative.

Best wishes for this great cause!! I am sure this will definitely contribute in healing the wounds and rebuilding Nepal.

1 Like

Thank you for Being a helping hand in our Deepest sorrow.

Hello,

It would be a pleasure to be associated with the campaign. I would love to be a part of the team and help the community. following is my contact detail

PH: +9779843642928

Warm Regards,

Bikash Gyawali