Now that the dust of the earthquake in Nepal is settling, Edgeryders’ Future Makers Nepal project emerged as a project to survey, contact and connect the citizen-driven relief efforts and help projects which are springing up in large numbers after the earthquake in Nepal. After that, the project will serve as a platform for Nepal’s “future makers” to discuss and align in search for constructive, peaceful solutions to salient problems of Nepal. We are happy that UNDP Nepal commissioned us for this project and now adapted it so that we contribute meaningfully to fixing what the earthquake destroyed.
But we here in Kathmandu (@Matthias and @Natalia_Skoczylas) could never do that alone: We are looking to hire two persons who would like to join our team on a part-time contract for the next two and a half months. Together we can then effectively reach local initiatives dispersed all across the country, and make this project feasible and adequate.
The activities that we need these local engagement managers to do are like this:
- Preparing posts in both English and Nepali about mapped initiatives. (Means, you should be able to write well in both languages.)
- Finding Nepal's local earthquake-response and reconstruction initiatives and documenting them in a structured way here on edgeryders.eu, with information about their activities, people involved, scale of the project, etc..
- Welcoming the people from Nepal's earthquake-response initiatives that show up on the edgeryders.eu platform, and facilitating an online dialogue between them that connects them and yields further information about the initiatives.
- Preparing social media campaigns and outreach activities in order to expand the database of initiatives and the edgeryders.eu visitors from Nepal. In the later phase of the project, this will be about a whole range of grassroot initiatives, not only those related to relief efforts, but everyone who is involved in citizen-driven positive change in Nepal.
- Where possible, connecting the mapped initiatives and people with each other for their mutual benefit. For example, proposing somebody with relevant skills for an open position in a project, and connecting projects that complement each other.
- Helping your sometimes lost-in-the-context Edgeryders from Europe to understand things beyond their clumsy assumptions and explanations ;)
- Being prepared for The Unexpected (that turned out very useful the last week …).
The pay we offer for these half-time jobs is 40,000 NRS per month (approx. 400 U.S. Dollars).
If you would like to be one of our local engagement managers, please post a comment below with something relevant about you and your experience for this job. We will then be in dialogue here for a bit, and finally tell with whom we want to work. Ideally we would like to start working with you from the 10th of May on.
P.S.: There are many of you who’ll be great for the job, but we can only hire two. So please don’t waste your time on a “competitive application” – there are more meaningful things than that in Nepal at the moment If not in this job, you will surely have more ways to contribute to relief and reconstruction after the earthquake in Nepal. We invite you to connect with other initiatives here on edgeryders.eu and beyond.