Open rampette - la chiamata - insights from the questionnaire

A couple of weeks ago after collecting all the data from the public event of may 11th, we also produced an online questionnaire to better understand the user experience of a Dioniso facing the temporary ramp.

You can download a summary of the responses to the questionnaire here or look at the raw data here

I want to highlight here the most important insights collected:

1. How does Dioniso recognise an accessible shop?

Dioniso mainly focuses on the presence of ramp or the presence of the “accessibility” sticker to recognise an accessible shop.

If none of those is present s/he doesn’t even bother ringing the bell and goes to a different place.

“I feel comfortable shopping at the mall, it has no barrier and I can move around freely” Dioniso

2. How do I find an accessible shop?

Sometimes Dioniso uses technological tools like Google StreetView to verify if a place is accessible before heading there and avoid unhappy surprises.

“I use Google street map because it allows me to plan my experience” Dioniso

3.  How is the experience of using the doorbell to call for assistance? :-/

• Dioniso sometimes cannot press the button, because it is badly placed or because he/she is incapable of performing the specific movement.
  • Dioniso hates waiting for someone to go out to help him out.
  • The shop owner, Minerva, doesn’t like the sound of the bell.
  • Dioniso does not understand if the call for assistance was successful (is the doorbell working or not?)

4. Little awareness about the regulation and the accessibility issue.

• It is important to help shop owners to go through the procedure and get a ramp providing better motivation than just giving fines.
  • Every Dioniso should be aware that s/he has the right to ask for the ramp!

Given this precious insights we move forward to designing and prototyping some novel concepts that address two main issues:

1. How can we improve the experience of calling for a temporary map?
  2. What kind of intervention is necessary to raise awareness on the shop owner about the problem?

A second post about the concepts developed and the prototypes will follow shortly. Stay Tuned!