just to confirm, we’re meeting:
4PM CET on this Thursday (6 June)
4PM CET this Thursday works for me!
Plese remember 4 CET is the same as 5 o’ clock in Brussels!
this whole summer-time thing is so confusing. Either way, same time for me in Tbilisi
I’m afraid I’ll be flying back from Glasgow.
Hey guys I sent the calendar invitations to everyone whose email I have.
Here’s mine email@example.com
For me what’s important is to work together to figure out:
- how it’s best to optimize content/ stories for social media, especially those in different languages. We need to preserve the integrity of the posts and users, so if edits are to be made they need to be notified.
- how to push out the Virtual Cafes so that more people register and can meet a human talking in their own language as opposed to a multilanguage international distant forum. If we said those are the entry points in the community, lets make it so… if only because human live interaction has been the one offering the best results so far in our years of community building. Many of best stories came from people who at some point met Nadia, Natalia and engagers in person.
I understand that the POPREBEL tour is happening this July, in Czech Rep and Poland.
To follow are the Serbian and German one, later in summer/autumn. I am happy to join and help organise the Serbian one.
I understand that the POPREBEL onboarding events led by local connectors and partners in each country are to happen end of 2019.
Making a note here: We should be asking each local connector for a timeline of and attendance to local events - example in Belgrade where now unfortunately no one can attend.
For me a question is if we should latch the topics we are driving conversations around to current events in the ongoing countries, such as the unfolding church scandal in Poland, or the massive protests against correuption in the Czech Republic.
And if this is the case - how do we monitor them - do we allocate a slot in the weekly call to look at what has been in the news in our respective countries the past/current week?
Ok, so what I will be doing is still kinda vague, as I am still in the process of figuring out the best way to do it - but my aim is to:
- increase the amount of people who sign-up after having visited the platform and after that share relevant stories or comments in response to other stories.
- increase the engagement in the Campfire section of the Edgeryders platform from those who already have an Edgeryders account.
- increase awareness of how community members can generate more opportunities for themselves by contributing to the work of promoting events, developing new projects, research work and software development that Edgeryders (the company) does.
And in my role, I will do this by (this is the plan):
- Curating content (with the help of community managers in terms of stories they like, and checking with @fsimonov how the engagement stats on them are elsewhere)
- Producing and publishing editorialized content
- Producing & curating visual content
- And last but not least: optimizing/editing content posted by community managers and members
And to give you an example, this is a quick edit I did on the Czech protests.
For any first action we want people to take, we need to:
- show the added value for them
- build trust (who are we, can they trust us)
In messaging - anywhere, by anyone, to anyone - people need to know “what’s in it for them” if you want them to take action. And we want people to take action: we want them to share their stories.
So, part of my task is to figure out, what could be in it for them. Right now we have the financial reward, but that’s all the way at the bottom (and it’s honestly not the best incentive).
Another important part is trust. How we incorporate this, we’ll (I) have to think about a bit more.
Now, I’ll probably share a whole lot more in the future, Ineed to start prioritizing what needs to be done first, but one simple rule journalist follow to get the message across: use simple words. And the introduction to Welbbeing, for example, already has too many “difficult” words:
We are on a journey to help one another to find the right ways to navigate the changes that are happening in Europe. How are we building good lives against a backdrop of massive social, economic, political challenges? How are we creating opportunities for ourselves and where can we support one another better? In work, health, family, community life.
And, from this text - as an example - I don’t understand
- what I should do
- why I should to it (broad ideas about how the end of the world is coming aren’t helping, we need very specific examples that people can relate to)
- what is being done with what I do
- why should I trust you
- what is being done with what I do
So, what would be really helpful is if all the community managers could write in a comment here, how they explain what the project is when they are talking with people: what do you say to convince them - even if it is situational, please add it (and note the situation). I’ll take all of that, plus what’s on the platform already, and I’ll try to craft it into something that makes sense.
When it comes to publishing editorialized content, I think @nadia and I will have more conversations about what this would look like.
In terms of editing stories, we should come up with a system that works:
- either asking people if we can edit their stories and show ti to them for approval
- adding a short lead to the story only, a small introduction helping people to engage with the story
- or rewriting the story but publishing it as a stand alone piece, or merging several stories into one engaging article
@fsimonov are having a call tomorrow to try to harmonize what we’re both doing, and feel free to at anytime jump in and let me know what you’d need.
Hi , It’s time to schedule the weekly 30-minute call for communication and outreach:
- community managers quickly go through their picks of last week’s content in different languages
- events organisers to request help with promoting their activities
- everyone answers questions from the comms team that they need to successfully reach & engage the right target audiences
Please indicate your availability in one of two ways
Or post a comment below with the combination of days and times that work best for you:
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur or Friday
3pm - 3:30 pm - 4pm - 4:30pm - 5pm - or 6pm_
Clearly anyone else who wishes to join is welcome, but the focus is on our formal projects.
it would be great if you could add a summary of what you and @fsimonov agreed on in terms of how you work together - helps the rest of us coordinate
To this point, in our Social Contract, to be submitted at the end of this month, one of the statements is, “We do not edit your remarks without your prior consent.” So let’s make sure we always adhere to that.
How would you like to be advised of interesting topics? In a dedicated topic? Message?
This is one worthy of notice because it talks about human and technology to deal with one of the core problems of disinformation: