Preliminary Ethnographic Findings

The interesting thing about writing a summary of ethnographic findings at this stage is that they do not altogether differ from some of our original observations. The community seems to consistently find similar issues important. Whether that stems from the fact that these kinds of observations appeared first and inspired similar posts, or if these issues are just universally important to the community remains to be seen (and I’d love to hear your theories!). New threads are constantly emerging as well, dovetailing with existing stories and painting an even richer picture of the ways people care for one another in our current precarious climate. So I’ll outline a few important connections that I’ve seen so far. Some loci of conversations are as follows:

1. Resilience in the face of Crisis

Crisis has been a key theme throughout our time together, whether it be the financial crisis in countries like Greece or the refugee crisis that has led to mass migration. Community members have been thinking up all kinds of ways to maintain resilience, trying to balance preservation of old ways of life (like neighbourhoods, or safeguarding the elderly’s stores of valuable knowledge) while being open to new community members arriving from other shores (through intercultural exchange, and overcoming language barriers). The interesting thing to me as an ethnographer has been the ways in which, even though the two efforts at first glance may seem opposite (protecting against and embracing change), the same strategies are being used. Bringing strangers together through the fostering of social events or the creation of shared public space, making spaces for education and skill sharing – these are the ways that communities in crisis band together and show solidarity for one another.

Crisis also comes in the form of precarity: decreased opportunities for employment/labour, rising housing prices, and our youth seeing a lack of a future for themselves. These kinds of crises have been answered by community-based care, the umbrella for so many interactions that have been documented on Open Care: through co-habitation, skill-sharing and skill-building, building or repurposing space for living, and many other creative living arrangements. Places are at the heart of communities, whether those places be neighbourhoods or homes, cities or rural areas. It has been exciting to see connections across disparate geographical terrains present (sharing drugs across national borders, or online support groups), and international networks coming into being — these have lead people to meet up offline, and to strengthen the spaces in which they live and work. Despite claims that the internet is radically removing the need for place, offline spaces remain crucially important to communities in Open Care.

Crisis takes another form as well: climate change and pollution have created concerns among community members, prompting the need for greater resilience in the face of natural disasters and environmental disruptions, and creating sustainable solutions has been a key factor in a lot of conversations across topics.

2. Mental Health and Alternative Living

It is perhaps unsurprising with the presence of crisis, precarity, and widespread displacement that mental health issues have come to the fore. Trauma is rife after such experiences, and community members have been trying to find ways to heal themselves mentally as well as physically. Self-care has been a theme, though it has been made clear that going it alone is not a viable option in many circumstances. We need each other to get through, although no one can do it for us. This theme has also shown that sometimes people do need trained professionals---- there is a limit to how much peers can help in certain medical situations. But since holistic healthcare is so important to so many members of the community, trained professionals are only one aspect of mental healthcare. In dealing with trauma especially, connecting people in different places, sharing support and resources, has been crucial. Some people have found group therapy and online support groups useful, while others have found that alternative therapies like meditation and acupuncture help them get through. Gardening can be the key to happiness and healing sometimes, it seems, as can artistic expression!

Part of the reason that Open Carers are so inspiring is their commitment to living life a little differently. Many community members have identified sources of stress that emerge from trying to measure success by someone else’s metric, or taking on expectations at work that far exceed or are completely different from their own desires. Sometimes mental health issues come from sources we can’t fight— depression results from a chemical imbalance in the brain, after all — but some sources are identifiable, and community members have been inventing creative ways of attaining happiness even in the diciest of situations. There is a powerful link, it seems, between creating a life in which someone is able to express themselves creatively and finding mental well-being.

3. Autonomy and Interdependency

Another interesting tension. OpenCarers have a strong desire for autonomy:  to be independent from failing systems, to be mobile on their own, to be self-sufficient even when in a liminal space like a refugee camp, to be treated like adults by their governments and public services, to have the power to effect change in their worlds, and so on. Myriad design interventions have addressed mobility issues, allowing people to regain control over their motor functions. Other initiatives have promoted, through skill-sharing and education, the ability of refugees to be self-sufficient despite unfavourable circumstances and temporary living situations. It feels good to be in control of one’s own life, it seems, instead of being at the mercy of institutions that often don’t consult people about what they want and how they care to live.

That being said, communities are interdependent and proud of it. They support each other, share resources, build common spaces, and teach each other new skills. More importantly, they believe this should be the case: communities should be at the heart of health and social care practices, according to OpenCarers. Resilient communities are those that celebrate their interdependency and care for one another, while also allowing each other to flourish in their own individual ways. How to achieve this balance has been an ongoing topic of conversation, since it is not only the collapse of public systems that has troubled Open Carers, but the collapse of informal support systems like extended family units and vibrant communities as well. How do we take care of our communities and strengthen informal ties in the face of increasing collapse of formal systems of care? Or, perhaps the better question is how to improve both, since OpenCarers seem deeply committed to improving both forms of care.

4. Issues of Legality, Regulation, and Safety when working Outside Existing Systems

It is perhaps unsurprising, given the goal of Open Care, that we have heard so many stories about people working at the margins of or outside existing systems. Questions here (when it comes to design interventions especially) rotate around the twin spokes of legality and safety. A community member will ask something along these lines: how can we get around stringent regulations that stop people, usually people without resources like money or the ability to travel, from accessing vital medical interventions? Then, generally, another community member will bring up the issue of safety, especially around clinical trials. These regulations are there for a reason, the community member(s) argue back, to keep people safe from harm. So collectively, the community has generated this more nuanced question: how do we work outside existing systems to give people access to vital technologies of care, while also keeping them safe? The answer seems to lie in self-regulation, in ethics and ethical commitments to good, safe practice. Making rules for spaces is another way in which this happens, as people collectively agree on best practices. Open processes are another way this is managed, with commitments to open notebook science, Open Source and Open Hardware, which maintain transparency and keep everyone honest and accountable.

Finally, working outside existing systems is not always the path chosen by Open Carers. Many community-based care initiatives look to work with policy-makers, or form public-private partnerships, to realise their visions or get the resources they need to deliver them to the people who need them. The desire to rejuvenate urban spaces and revitalise neighbourhoods has been a key space of collaboration between different stakeholders. Change in each case is needed, but the implementation of that change can take different forms depending on the issues at hand.

5. Egalitarian Ideals

Finally, the community as a whole has a strong commitment to egalitarianism, whether it be in the form of cooperative living, transparent and flat governance, distribution of resources, maintaining open processes, fighting against corrupting of corporate greed, or creating alternatives to existing systems of inequality. How to manage equality while also creating systems that work and are effective has been an ongoing topic of conversation, and I imagine will continue to be. How do we make rules for spaces and enact shared governance while being fair to everyone? How do we overcome and/or reform systems that seem hell-bent on perpetuating inequality?

In closing, I am really looking forward to compiling a list of research questions that the community have generated so we can see the key issues at stake in the future of these projects. Stay tuned!

(Question: I had plans to hyperlink this post to all the stories that brought it into being, phrase by phrase, but I ultimately worried that it would be too busy/hard to read. Let me know if that would be helpful! Example: linking  <to be self-sufficient even when in a liminal space like a refugee camp> to ‘The Jungle’ post)

1 Like

Couple of comments

Thanks, @Amelia , very useful work. Here’s a few remarks.

• As you say, stability of results is interesting in itself. Is the community influencing its members? My hunch is no, it is not, because decentralised consensus is invisible. But maybe there is even a way to test for it empirically... I have to think about it.
  • Maybe I spent too much time staring at GraphRyder, but this looks to me like communities of codes. For example, your point 4 is mirrored by the ego network of legality (for clarity, filtered to edge strength > 4 in the picture): 

• Your point 2 is even clearer. Look how the ego network of mental health is nicely clustered together in a corner of the graph, and how it connects to creativity, art and health care, story sharing, resilience and community-based care , even when filtering out the weak edges. So, I am wondering whether a community detection algorithm could be a good way to assemble (or validate) an ethnographic report starting from the coded data. What do you think, @melancon and @Jason_Vallet ? @Amelia : community detection here means an algorithmic way of finding groups of codes that are more strongly connected with other codes in the same group than with codes in other groups. This could be a neat methodological innovation, in the sense that grouping concepts into blocks would be done algorithmically. If you use Louvain modularity, you even get a parameter (normalised between 0 and 1) of how clean these groups are cut. 

• In this post, I find it particularly interesting when you "zoom in" from "XYZ appears to be important" to "here is the community's concrete take on  XYZ". Example from your point 4: self-regulation; making rules for spaces; open processes, even open science. Unfortunately, this emerges less neatly from the graph! I recommend you do this for each point. 
  • As for the hyperlink question: I would like sometimes to drill down, but if you put 60 links in a post you are going to make it unreadable. Maybe limit it to 2-3 per major point?

An interactive, validation session at OpenVillage Fest?

Hi @Amelia I’m trying to go deeper into these findings as they are relevant and feel like the icing on top of a very good cake. I’m interested in the cake more…

Would you be up for hosting a conversation in october where you’d present findings:

1. synthetically and raising some hypotheses /questions - yours and Alberto’s conversations here and in the other threads

2. present them on topics that could be actionable for those depicted in the picture

For 2) I can think of an opening of the festival where we attach the stories and quotes to your highlights (like you suggested at the end) - so that it really is “Meet the OpenCarers” (Day 1). It would be like a speed introduction: those attending (and prior, online) will have a chance to reflect on their experience and add to it in light of their journey ever since.

Validation in my mind is a pretext for taking some questions further as well: asking them something like: " We’re seeing both initiatives going off the grid legally, but also others keen on working within existing frameworks. Where do you see the boundary between selfregulating to route around the system, and working with existing institutions? Have you experienced a change in how you collaborate with diverse actors? Do you see others learning from you?"

Thoughts?

Yes!

Sounds ace! A proper, full-length ethnographic report would necessarily require stories and quotes from informants, so I will certainly be including that later on. This post-length piece focuses on themes collectively imagined by the community, but the corresponding quotes and stories are what make it up, and in a longer piece would certainly be present. There are plenty of questions that have come up, and actionable ones at that. It would definitely be useful to aggregate those and formulate questions like you’ve suggested above.

Yes! Indeed

Great idea. Also worth investing in a little bit, in the sense of preparing a highly interactive format for people to chip in.

Ok, let’s work on the questions for validation in Bordeaux?

I assume you’re now working on your final report anyway and dont mean to interfere with it (although give us a heads up if you need help with structuring it).

I will send you some questions I think are relevant ahead of our meeting, so we can sit down in Bordeaux and select the most relevant ones and a frame to present them. Out of the community members we know will be present in October, we could ask them to deliver a “zoom in” version to complement your report.

Links would be helpful for editorial posts

Hey long time :slight_smile:

Enjoyed the above, thanks! If you could add the links to the source contributions you used to draw conclusions in the post above it would be very helpful for pushing content out and nurturing deeper conversation…

1 Like

@Amelia great article, and plus one for any links you found relevant to the different sections… we’ll be featuring this article this week - so any background reading would be much appreciated!

Hi @Amellia, I found the overview in your post very helpful. As someone new to Edgeryders and OpenCare it was helpful to get a synopsis of the main threads of conversation and exploration. I can see merit in detailed exploration of what works and doesn’t work under all of these threads. Learning more about how to create and cultivate resilient places, work more with the link between between mental health and alternative living, autonomy and interdependency and so on is clearly valuable. Where does this insight go next? Clearly, community members are using the posts shared by other members as a means of tapping in to learning and expertise. And if it’s partly about shaping policy - I’m finding myself really curious about what these policies look like. And for OpenCare more broadly, I wonder if it also raises a deeper question - where are the pivots for widespread change in a direction conducive to care both within and outwith the existing systems?

I look forward to hearing more as your work progresses.

1 Like