Preparing the new interface for edgeryders

I have posted the bounty here.

I have cross-posted it in the Discourse Meta forum, and I will also cross-post in NGI conversation.
Oliver will also send it to his devs at WorldBrain.

The domain could be retirement.edgeryders.eu or bio26.edgeryders.eu @owen - we will also have a domain provided by the museum, we can use it as an alias

I made the domain bio26.edgeryders.eu and set up DNS with CNAME edgerydersbio26.netlify.com. @owen, this should already allow you to use it via Netlify by choosing that edgerydersbio26.netlify.com subdomain for the site you’d host there.

Ok, thanks @matthias

This is our setup for the general forms across different ER projects: https://edgeforms.netlify.com/

I’ve kept things simple, only taking the necessary elements to build a form from scratch, all stored in a single json file for now.

There are a few basic customisation options to get started, background colours or images can be set for the introduction page, the navigation elements adopt custom colours too.

Here’s an example of the festival ticket questionnaire:

festival_ticket: {
    title: 'Festival Ticket',
    slug: 'festival_ticket',
    id: 'registration',
    description: 'Sign up to the Edgeryders Festival, November 19-29th 2019!',
    background: {
      splash: '#1AA4B8',
      standard: '#EDF2F7',
      confirm: '#EDF2F7'
    },
    color: {
      splash: '#fff'
    },
    link: {
      name: 'festival.edgeryders.eu',
      url: 'https://festival.edgeryders.eu'
    },
    splash: [
    {
      text: "<h1>So, you want to join the Edgeryders Festival in November?</h1> <p>Great! Your skills and knowledge are valuable.</p> <p>Participation does not cost money. You secure your ticket by filling out this form and following the instructions for some small and easy tasks that will be sent to you by email afterwards.</p>",
    }
    ],
    questions: [
    {
        question: "What is your email address so we can contact you?",
        small: "Don't worry, we're not going to spam you.",
        type: 'email',
        id: 'email',
        required: true,
      },
      {
        question: "Your name or alias so we know what to call you?",
        type: 'text',
        minLength: 2,
        id: 'name',
        required: true,
      }
]

I like it, it’s a nice to-the-point definition of what a form would need. We can take that format as a starting point for form-related software infrastructure that would also include the post-to-Discourse system that will be made by @gdpelican, initially for Natalia’s Biennale usage.

Can you publish it please? Best time is asap :slight_smile: as it is relevant for @gdpelican as input for his development work.

Yes, it’s here

2 Likes

What is the final consent funnel version for this? Do we have one, or should I prepare it? (as brief as possible)

I’d be happy to make one based on the Field Study Template Kit books, I just got them from a friend and they have basically everything for ethnographic research in them.

Questionnaire digital desktop MAP VIEW.pdf (24.7 KB)

The map is to be changed at the end @gdpelican - let me know if it works

Also, will you use “live” text for the interface or the designs directly - because we also have a version in Slovenian language and I’d like to implement it as well, let me know what’s more convenient for you

Can you explain what you mean a bit more? Not sure I get it.

there;s text in the design, and I need it to be available in two languages - do I send a whole interface design for both options, or would it be enough to just send the text in both language versions? Not sure if I explain myself well, brace with me :slight_smile:

Ah, no. Just make the text available in two languages. @gdpelican is making it so that it’s easy to adapt.

1 Like

Here they go, both texts in English and Slovenian: (the 3rd one is adapted for print version, ignore it)

@gdpelican

My first attempt ended with an error and I couldn’t submit, picture in attachment

The Age should be optional

The text in Latin is for the consent funnel - I was trying to understand which text do we use, should I prepare one or we use the one that is in github?

Also, we need the SLO/EN button on top of the first page and the access to Slovenian version (I shared the slovenian language version of the text above in a google doc)

These are first issues I saw @gdpelican@matthias @hugi - hope it’s not too much to change. Otherwise, looks great and does MAGIC! Thank you all, @gdpelican - I haven’t thanked you yet, I am incredibly grateful! Happy to take you out for a drink in berlin sometime! :wink:

Being able to switch between two different languages on the new installation is a new requirement that was not in the original specification. The project is already bogged down because of the unforeseen issues with Discourse. @gdpelican can keep it in mind if there is time? What we can do otherwise is to have two installations - one in each language.

You used the e-mail address of your existing account on Discourse. So the software refuses to create an account because the address is taken. It just can’t tell you that clearly so far, but that will change. Like I said above, just invent an e-mail address that does not even exist, ideally something …@edgeryders.eu so we’ll not send account activation e-mail to some random dude.

Please prepare a text that is as close as possible to the one on Github, but reworded so it makes sense as a single checkbox. Basically “I understand an agree that …” and then recount the learning lessons from the quiz on Github. That will prevent trouble as much as possible because this consent then can be considered equivalent to answering the quiz.

The issue persists, and the problem is somehow that if there’s an error, even if you go back or fix whatever was missing (i didn’t put the age first and tried submitting it), the form will keep on showing the error and you can’t submit it anyway…

@hugi - absolutely right, if it’s possible, it would be wonderful, if not, we will have to live without it or i will maybe find extra little budget, if you could tell me how much it would cost to have a second language i will see if we have anything left

1 Like

Would it also be possible to have the form automatically give you a chance to start typing without having to click on the space when you flip the page?

1 Like

Here I will list a couple of things we’ve noticed so far:

1. On the phone when you enter the second screen, it sends you automatically to the bottom of the page - so you have to scroll up to see the whole text and then continue. It happened both on Android and iphone

2. The map is missing at the end: Questionnaire digital desktop MAP VIEW.pdf (24.7 KB)

3. If there’s a possibility, could you make the vertical line that allows you to start typing appear automatically in each of the text windows?

4. Would it make sense to have also shortcuts/commands assigned for the back and next buttons? It will be used on stationary tablets, Samsung, in the Museum, in case that’s important.

5. The x in the yellow circle on top appears somehow off on safari iphone version 16%20AM

6. The consent funnel:

I understand that this form is used for research. Researchers are encouraged to treat your answers as a window into societal, economic, technological, and political trends and transformations that affect us. As I participate in the discussion, I do not fear bad consequences when sharing with others my views and alignment on societal, economic, technological and political issues.

@hugi @gdpelican @matthias (in case you want to see that :))

It finally worked, I submitted it on my phone! but in my browser I keep having the same issue

Also, would it be possible to somehow lock the space on trustinplay so that all the answers don’t appear on the main page? It’s a bad moment for that as we’re building quite a momentum in this community :wink:

1 Like

@matthias - when will this address be live?

bio26.edgeryders.eu