Rephrasing Challenge 1

I have read several times Challenge 1. I understand it:

This challenge is dedicated to find out examples of inspiring initiatives to  acknowledge and learn from their good work, in order to understand how we can better support them.

I propose a rewording which, in my opinion, makes the task clearer for potential contributors. You find it below. It is only 300 words long, so much shorter than what we have now. Are you ok with me editing the node?

I like Nadia’s idea to repurpose some of the existing content. In the text, I point to two posts (one by James, one by me), Should we convert them to Challenge response node type? Duplicate them?

Proposed text follows.

What is care? Who gives it? “The state is the main care provider”, say many Europeans. And sure, the welfare state is a major safety net in their societies. “Business is the main care provider”, reply many Americans. They have a point too: their insurance companies, hospitals and clinic – most of these are businesses.

And yet, that’s not the whole story. Care models are failing: per capita health care expenditure grows faster than GDP. We need to spend an ever-greater part of our resources just to stay well.

Under pressure to get care, the edges of society (the young, the nomads and migrants, the precariat) respond by getting creative. There are many ongoing experiments, large and very small. A hackerspace in England provides a safe space and a sense of identity to his members, many of which are unemployed, or disabled, or homeless [link to: https://edgeryders.eu/en/spotlight-social-innovation/mission_case/access-space-new-model-individual-and-community-development ]. Hundreds of enterprising Greeks spawn a whole network of “shadow” clinics [https://edgeryders.eu/en/opencare/care-by-communities-greeces-shadow-zero-cash-health-care ]. Three expat adult couples in Belgium decide to live under the same roof and be each other’s support network [link to https://edgeryders.eu/en/living-social-in-brussels-co-living-as-a-lifestyle-for-grown-ups ]. Along this journey, they (and we all) face deep questions about what care really is. Is it services? Is it human attention and warmth? Is it trying to fix what’s wrong with people in need of care? Is it accepting everybody for what they are, with their strengths and weaknesses?

We are collecting stories of care. We hope to get to a shared view of what people are doing to cope when official systems fail. Do you have one such story? Please, share it with us. If you do not have anything to share, but are interested, please help others reflect on their own journeys by commenting on the experiences shared by others.

Good for you: […]

Good for everyone: […]

1 Like

Good but broken links

Hi Albeto,

I really like this. It helps frame what you are looking for in terms of a story, and provides a variety of potential approaches to show that there are many ways to respond to the provocation.

The links mentioned above do not link though.

Alex

Try links without bracket ]

They should work.

@alberto go ahead and change the text. I would at least re.post James’s piece since years ago.

I also thought of the Rete2 story in Milano, but I.m not sure how strict we are about structuring challenges one at a time. - maybe Medhin.s works best for challenge about people on the move…

Done

But I converted the nodes rather than reposting.

Done

But I converted the nodes rather than reposting.

Good explanantion

I think the explanantions of OC are improving.

1 Like