Short stories wanted (and paid for). Anyone wants to take up the challenge?

Heads up to @Worldbuilders and everyone in this space. The Sci-Fi Economics Lab has put out a call for short stories, set in the open source world of Witness, that we all contributed to build between end 2020 and now.

The call is to select one or more authors, who will be then commissioned a short story set in Witness. The selected authors will be paid (the maximum amount per story is 3,000 EUR). I would, however, suggest we should interpret “authors” in a broad sense, as we have been doing here. Authors do not need to be professional SF writers. Economists, social scientists, STEM folks, can all be authors – and if you do not believe me, check out Skyseed, a novel on terraforming gone awry by high-ranking academic volcanologist Bill McGuire.

So, I would like to encourage economists, anthropologists, sociologists, ecologists, earth scientists and scholars of every discipline to consider applying. If you have ideas but do not feel up to the task of rendering them in story form, maybe you could consider partnering up with people who are good at storytelling, but would enjoy the collaboration with scientists. If you would like to do so, but do not know any writer, maybe @yudhanjaya and @nadia can match you up with one.

Info and applications: check out the thread below, and follow the instructions therein.

https://edgeryders.eu/t/the-scifi-economics-lab-is-commissioning-writers-to-inspire-a-storytelling-contest-that-explores-better-futures/16205?u=alberto

This is fan-tas-tic! I’ll share it in all my Discord groups :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks man, good to hear from you! How have you been in the summer?

Oh boy, my life’s in shambles hahaha
Best to discuss over a zoom beer if you’re up for it, I don’t feel very comfortable sharing everything publicly

Let’s do that! When’s a good time?

This is great @alberto. and I checked in with @zippy314 and he is connecting with his staff at Online Writing Workshop about promoting it. Note that the workshop was developed under the umbrella of a sci fi publishing house and has assisted some well known authors in their careers. If anyone is looking for a place to test and improve their scifi writing, it is a proven community for doing so. Zippy is particularly interested in sci fi AND economics, so this resonated strongly.

2 Likes

Fantastic! @zippy314 please let me and @nadia know if we can help you with visual material or such.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Short stories wanted (and paid for). Anyone wants to take up the challenge?:

Hi @alberto @nadia , we are happy to post to our twitter feed, blog and facebook pages. I could just post the link Jean gave me, or anything else that seems appropriate. I do note that the link above shows a deadline for submission of samples that’s passed, so I think something else might be better.

1 Like

Hello again, Eric. Nadia is driving this particular project, and would know if the deadline has been moved. But still, thanks!

Also, this you don’t see every day. A warm welcome back!

1 Like

We could actually do a second round, there is still some budget left for it.

1 Like

What I hear is that we should hold on serious promo until next step is clear so we can post the new deadline and criteria to then post that. If @zippy314 wants they can do a teaser, linking to the old post and saying they have rumors more rounds are coming if writers want to start sketching.

1 Like

That makes sense.

2 Likes

Yah! I was looking for my post from back then, but couldn’t find it here ( I think that was back when the site was at http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/).

1 Like

Oh, actually I found it and the conversation with you too! How cool is that?

2 Likes

It’s very cool. The mighty @matthias migrated that thread across the three platfoorms we used in Edgeryders, and made sure everyone’s user was migrated, and that login information still worked. So, we can simply continue a 10-year old conversation seamlessly. Only our biological hardware has aged, but it looks it is not doing too bad :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I would like to let you know that we have another open call for short stories within TREASURE project.
I am posting it here if there is someone who would be interested. Also, feel free to share it among your network