šŸ—Ø Status Report II: What's Up With You?

I have never heard anyone saying they like Hungarian - very interesting! Of course, my experience is colored by the Romanian-Hungarian relationship, which is never great.

@iouxo +1 to what Marijana is saying below, those are the ones used in Edgeryders.
Like Alessandro, I would love to see more Greek too!

On what basis do you choose the languages of the new Distrikt?

So inspiring, thanks for sharing. What a sign of solidarity, and also friendshipā€¦

This was also interesting to me. I had no clue whatsoever about it, until I found myself travelling through the Carpathians and trying to get a couchsurfing sorted out: all the hosts had Hungarian names, I had no idea about the whole Transylvania-situation, but I was lucky (?) to be able to experience it first hand.

Of course I didnā€™t get very deep into that, especially on the most conflictual aspects of it, which were still something you could feel in conversations, but I didnā€™t overly poke.

I think unconsciously I chose to focus on how the culture sort of switched by passing into an area with very different architecture, food, and street names, guessing -knowing- it was not just as simple as thatā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: that was in no way a comparison

I am yet to meet an Italian who is notā€¦I am sure they exist but I am maybe lucky :slight_smile:

Makes total sense, seems like they all reached the point of FU money :wink:

There is probably a different aspect to it as well: taking responsibility for their thoughts and actions and acceptance of the laws governing their existence maybe?
One could ask: ā€œAm I a free person if there is a set of universal laws defining exactly the consequences of my every thought and action?ā€
Could the feeling of freedom also come from the acceptance of even such belief? As in ā€œI understand and accept fully the consequences of my actions. Each of my actions could lead to specific reaction from the universe (or god in the monkā€™s example) which I might not like. So I will abstain from taking actions which might lead to certain unwanted ā€œreactionsā€, which limits my possibilities. I still do choose my actions so libre arbitre fully appliesā€.

Last year a monk in Croatia told me ā€œwe are all just humans and we are all sinners, we can just keep working on ourselves and pray for strengthā€ when I raised the similar question. I saw in his eyes a lot of humility and acceptance of that situation. His thought can be applied everywhere really, no matter what we believe in. We all have various values or principles constructed over time (often going against our nature) and life often has ways of putting them to test.

Indeed, even I would have a hard time talking/writing about it here. It would need a long drink, someone with most lived experience, and also an academic expert in the room. I feel history is one of those cultural threads that everyone pulls off in their own direction. :slight_smile: Anyway, knowing you a little, you were probably a very thoughtful guest.

Once again hoping California doesnā€™t burn down completely.

1 Like

Take care, John. Floods, fire, disease, humanitarian migrant disasters, the richies who fly to spaceā€¦ what a planet.

The new Europarama is out - @porcarorama, @alberto and @hugi are going through the viking anarchist haven of Avantgrid, its alternative solutions, resilience and the unexpected outcomes of autarchic communities.
Wildness! Well worth listening to.

1 Like

I have to marvel t the breathtaking arrogance of Jeff Bezos, who thanked us all for paying for his trip in a rocket that looked like a giant dick going up into space.

2 Likes

I think I might have just heard wolves howling a few hundred meters from our house! :star_struck:

Iā€™m so happy we finally moved out of a big city, I hope it lastsā€¦

3 Likes

@Alessandro, where are you then? I mean, wolves in your back yard?

We moved to the countryside in Tuscany, half way up a mountain near where I was born. There is also an important active Benedictine monastery nearby, the Abbey of Vallombrosa, I thought you might enjoy that piece of infoā€¦ :blush:

So indeed, thereā€™s a lot of wildlife all around, welcome guests in our garden too.

For wolves, I only spotted droppings and heard them howling, as for the rest, plenty of sightings.

So much better traffic than cars and trucks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Really? I imagined you in Yerevan!

Heard plenty of wolves and jackals in Croatia but never saw themā€¦they understood they need to stay away from humans I guess (even though they killed sheep 20 m away from the house, in our garden). Nevertheless, such a privilege to hear them from time to time, or eagleā€™s call, or see any wild animals really.

1 Like

Funny enough @alberto , right now I am in Yerevan :smile:

Zoom: just another bunch of greedy liars looks like. Maybe weā€™ll get $15 as part of a settlement.

1 Like

Uhm oh. So cheap, this compensation. Doubting that there is any real consequence for these guysā€¦ In a post covid world when schools and public institutions are now using this service, itā€™s doubtful that they will actually drop it. And for whatā€¦

They wonā€™t do anything unless forced.

I got an email from my friend Ugo at The Restart Project: the wonderful @janetgunter is stepping down as co-director, so they are recruiting. They want someone UK-based, but this is a fairly tightly knit community, so maybe @yannick or someone else at Tournevie can think of someone, or spread the word?

Good luck for future adventures, Janet!

2 Likes