🗨 Status Report II: What's Up With You?

Thanks so much @alberto! Long covid won for now. Needing to rest. But really excited to meet the person who can take on this challenge and deepen/strengthen the work in the UK.

2 Likes

Janet – between you and Long COVID, my money is firmly on you. Godspeed, and see you down the road!

2 Likes

Have to stay inside today - smoke from mountain fires has reached the coast today…
This is what summer in California has become. In my youth it was like being in a Beach Boys song. No more.

1 Like

Stay safe, John! It’s the third damn summer in a row that you have to dodge wildfires… I really feel for you.

Yeah it’s pretty brutal. But this is just our local version of today’s earth condition. Gods are angry…

A seriously explosive fire grew from 6500 acres to 53K overnight and has made it to just a few miles from our family mountain cabin. It may not survive this day. High wind predicted until 8 PM. Just two weeks ago we had the whole family gather there to bury my mother’s ashes and install a nice granite monument. That could be all that remains before long.

1 Like

Maaan… :pensive:

So sorry to hear that. Don’t know what to say…

That "keep calm and carry on’ thing…trying, but man…

Today high wind is predicted. If it goes in the predicted direction it will head straight to our place.

1 Like

1 Like

jfc so sorry to hear this John :frowning:

As luck had it, the wind shifted just as the fire was bearing down on us and it went in a different direction. If the wind stays shifted, then we’re going to be ok. But on Saturday it is predicted to shift back.

3 Likes

Glad to hear… for a second it looked very dangerous.
What a few days to spend chasing the wind and news about it…

I recently discovered the best baklava place in Brussels, for those interested or visiting in the future :slight_smile:

Levent Börek Künefe
Chau. de Haecht 132, 1030 Schaerbeek

More importantly, they also have THIS:

Many places in St Josse owned by the large resident Turkish community have also probably have delicious sweets.

2 Likes

ha, i bet you it’s not better than my Mum’s. Can teach you :))

Danger remains extreme.

Wow, John… are you looking at evac?

The cabin in danger is a vacation house my father bought back in the 60s. That whole area is evacuated as well as my brother and his wife who live at a lower elevation but still within the evacuation zone. These fires rage so hot and whichever way the wind gets going, the fire picks up and sends these spots out that start their own fires. This is how it jumped the highway.

This is the fifth fire that has exceeded 100K acres (40,468 hectares) this year alone and all of the huge fires that raged in the previous four years started either right about now or later into the fall where it is even drier.

The viability of living in California is these areas is now definitely questionable. What happens later this year, and next and next after that?

3 Likes

We are all wondering this. Here, it’s flash floods. For now. If the Gulf Stream really falters, then the situation will have a lot of extra challenges.

That is, perhaps, the understatement of the year!

1 Like