🗨 Status Report: What's Up With You?

I highly recommend looking at Benedict Evans’ slides from a talk he just gave at Davos called “Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.” It’s a look at how the future of the 'Net looks to a seriously sharp guy. (VC with a newsletter that has 130K subscribers) Much info and concepts here. And a nice presentation; easy to go through. He looks at eCommerce, what the next big thing might be, the role of regulation, anti-trust, content moderation in social media, national sovereignty and “extraterritoriality,” what “community standards” means anymore, and regulation as the “next big thing.” Ultimately he conveys a sense that these contain complex problems that won’t be solved by simple answers.

Wow! I love it! How close is the nearest city?

200 km north of San Francisco 3 from the coast.

2 Likes

This looks great. If you need some help woth the physocal help + have access to running watervand electricity maybe do a call for barnraising. I would join anyway- help a friend + holiday + physical work.

Where is the house? What country?

Considering you are a third friend who said this-i probably should :slight_smile:.

If I do it in summertime, it will be work early morning, then in the evening. All between is just for the beach etc since it’s too hot anyways :slight_smile:.

@johncoate It is in Croatia, near my home town-Zadar. Right here

5 Likes

Beautiful! I was in Vis in 2005.
Vis%20HarborView

4 Likes

do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This:

1 Like

Wanted to share my update too. I’m currently in my hometown Split working on a project, an experiment called “Voids2020”. We opened a few closed spaces during winter in the historical center and gave them to artists and the community to use them temporarily…my current office is in a souvenir shop, right in front of the (closed) Game of Thrones museum. It feels super strange and very fun at the same time! :smiley:

6 Likes

game of thrones museum???

1 Like

yeah. that exists…

wait but why?

It’s Kings Landing!

where they filmed it or?

Yes, they filmed shortly there and now it’s crazy, “museums” and gift shops all over the place. But I guess not even the GOT fans come in winter.

Pleased that my Alma Mater has dropped its partnership with Mckinsey on ethical and humanitarian grounds. McKinsey ifrågasatts av KTH-studenter – förnyar inte samarbetet | SvD

1 Like

Here’s my update too. I’m currently traveling through Belem, in the northern region of Brazil (beyond the wall, where it is actually winter =P), visiting beautiful places and meeting amazing people!

That is me in a fresh water beach in the Cotijuba island

During my “trip breaks” I’ve been exploring some interesting online tools that are supposed to help us organize our web browsing/researching. I imagine some of the people connected here might enjoy them:

• Memex by WorldBrain: interesting company values and functioning product.
  • Veeo: Very cool concept. Currently being built (video demo avail). And amazing founders. I had a chat with them last week and they were super welcoming!

Hope you like it :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well, not exactly. It’s only the engineering physics chapter of the student union that has decided not to renew a small 2000 EUR per year advertising deal with McKinsey on humanitarian grounds, but it’s a good move from their side non the less. This is really only newsworthy because the KTH student union and its chapters are known from being quite apolitical, so this is a refreshing departure.

1 Like

Indeed, and their founder @BlackForestBoi is an enthusiastic Edgeryders contributor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes