🗨 Status Report: What's Up With You?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Developments around drugs for COVID-19

Hi Noemi,
maybe this site will help you: ArcGIS Dashboards
Mostly they don’t mention the recovered people in media.
Yesterday I had a discussion with one of my Data Science colleagues on Covid-19 statistics. They are very poor. Countries with the best national health management have the highest ccounts. This does not mean that they are the most dangerous countries. It’s the consequence of good preparation and good networks.

As far as Germany is concerned, I can tell you, what I’ve heard in a bulletin of our Health Minister Jens Spahn. He said that about 80% of the infected have no or only slight complaints. And 14 out of the first 16 convid-19 positive tested people in Germany are already completely recovered.
The Robert Koch Institute is the leading institute for epidemics oder pandemics in Germany. RKI is part of the Ministery of Health and provides you with latest information. Also ZEIT ONLINE has a very good live blog.
The only problem I currently see in Germany is to get into quarantine because of contact with infected people. They are really strict to limite the spread.But this is a minor problem for digital workers like us.
The RKI does not recommend medication. Washing your hands thoroughly and keeping your distance from other people is enough.
Btw. the number of new infections in China is decreasing.

1 Like

Anyone feeling any symptoms? I’m not. But I did go up alone to my house in the country upon arrival back in the USA. Did not even hug my wife. Now I am waiting out a self-quarantine period. In email I have asked my doctor how long she thinks that period should be. She had told my wife “3-4 days.” I just asked in a message if she still thinks that is long enough.

My wife and I are much older than most of you. She has deeply compromised lungs that do not process infection at even a fraction of the normal rate. Her risk is extreme if she gets this virus.

2 Likes

They have a quarantine period of 14 days in Germany. The problem with Covid-19 is that you can infect others without feeling sick. If your wife has a higher risk due to her lungs, you should probably ask your doctor for a test. Although I think it’s very unlikely that you got infected. You will feel better after being tested.

its definitely not 3-4 days, more like 2 weeks if not longer.

My doc still says 4 day should be ok if I feel no symptoms. It does seem short…if I stay away until the weekend that would be 8 days. It is hard knowing what to do with all of this…

Have you heard about infections nearby? People that hat been on the same plane? How about waiting till weekend and keeping your eyes open whether there are any informations on this.
Infections in Europe are still restricted to small local areas, so the chance that you have catched the virus is really low.

1 Like

I just found this information.

The incubation period is the time between the infection and the appearance of the first symptoms. According to current data, it averages around five days (The New England Journal of Medicine: Li et al., 2020, PDF). In this study, however, it was 12.5 days in five percent of the cases. In Germany, contact persons for people with confirmed infection have been quarantined for 14 days.

It is not certain to what extent people who only have mild cold-like symptoms are already contagious. In some cases, people who have had no specific symptoms may have contracted those affected. However, based on the data available today, the World Health Organization (WHO) assumes that Sars-CoV-2 is mainly spread by infected people who have symptoms.

1 Like

Horrified at scenes from the Greek border where children, men and women are being subjected to violence - even framed as weapons in a “hybrid warfare” in European political discourse. Regardless of Erdogan’s agenda it’s incredible seeing this kind of panic over- what-a couple of thousand or even hundred thousand people on the World’s wealthiest continent? When e.g Turkey, Jordan etc have up until fairly recently been accommodating millions of refugees at this point. Jordan - with its water shortage etc. Incredible. Quite telling that Von Der Leyen’s ( Eu states) first priority is “securing the borders” and not saving human lives/ upholding human rights. And an indication of how the Union would fare in the face of any real military aggression?

1 Like

Guys it looks like the virus is mutating @johncoate @noemi . Personally - I am considering cancelling my trip to Stockholm on Friday, and this is in low-risk areas, just dont want to deal with chaos or risk parents’ health.

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1235137809444417536

ping @MariaEuler @hugi guys what do you think?

@nadia, everything feels still quite normal here. However, since I do not have any elderly family members or friends I regularly interact with I am not personally worried. The larger effect of a wide spread is of course something different and I hope as little people as possible get seriously hurt. Since you will be staying with your parents while you are here as I understood it is mainly up to you to decide if you think it would be a risk to them or if you on the other hand might even think that it would be good to visit them. Everyone here at Blivande seems quite healthy and happy as of now and I also have not seen any empty shelves in the stores here yet. I guess the swedes are already good at stockpiling emergency food supplies by defold.

1 Like

as for the mutating…I guess it is kind of normal for a virus to do that, this strand is just especially well monitored and reported on. (now)

We could quite easily rework this into a remote work session, if you’re worried. My guess is that the risk is not so much related to being in Stockholm and more related to being in airports.

1 Like

Wow thanks @Ulrike, the dashboard is amazing and pretty up to date from what i can see!
Love the part about the recoveries, where countries like Germany and Vietnam have gone without deaths. It looks like 244 infected so far in the former, so pretty hopeful outcome at least for the time being.

Yep, I’m wearing a mask. If you are going through airports better get one too, and stay till the end of lines when boarding, and generally as out of the crowds as you can.

What I’m surprised at is how hard it is to get a traveling hand sanitizer, been looking for days! Jez.

Did you find this stuff in a pharmacy or what? I mean mask and the Chloroquine ?

MM i can check for sanitizer at my local pharmacy around the corner and give it to Alberto tomorrow if i find some.

1 Like

I had got the mask in Vietnam, and the chloroquine I’ll get before Indonesia.

In other news, I have noticed a lot of cancelled dates and people in relationships even sleeping in different rooms when one partner has been traveling. I guess maternity wards in in December won’t be very busy.

1 Like