Team Building: getting started

@teambuilding - Let’s make a decision on this :slight_smile: Are we happy with 9.30 visit, and no appartment visit?

1 Like

I think visiting an apartment would be really valuable, because it will help us to get a better idea of what we would like for our own units.

One thing that I heard is that some of the units have dry toilets. Can we learn something more about how this works and about people’s experiences?

For the timing my reasoning was that it seems easier to focus first (plenary) and then “relax” after (visit). It also has the advantage that if people are late and we start with the plenary, they know where to find us, whilst if we are on a visit they’ll be a little lost. In this scenario I would do the plenary from 19:30 until 21:00, and the visit between 21:00 and 22:00?

I hear the argument that this has as a downside that it will be dark. We visited Brutopia in the pitch dark (late autumn) and it didn’t really bother me, but maybe that’s just me.

But I don’t have very strong feelings about this. How about you just take the decision and let us know?

2 Likes

Hi all,
The minutes of the last meeting are done.

For the visit: I have no issue for seeing it when it’s dark, it’s a different feel from daylight but still one that matters I think.
I have already seen a unit there, and I would say it’s definitely worth having a look, however quick. The materials and finishings are uncommon (very rough/industrial), which has many advantages, so having a picture in mind will be useful for all to see if they like it. (it is of course the same for the common spaces, but it’s good to see it shaped like an apartment)
I’m also curious about dry toilets, even though right now I am not considering it.

Is there a household that volunteered to show their unit to us?

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback!

@Lee I see your point about starting with the plenary… And 9 to 10 seems like a better compromise that gives us enough time to do a more extensive visit…

I’ll suggest that to Celine and see what she says…

I suppose so… Celine offered the possibility anyway…

2 Likes

FYI
The 6th of September I am available for the online meeting. The course starts the week after.
@Lee I saw Serge reply, if you need or think I can help with it shout it out.

3 Likes

@matteomeschiari: given the uncertainty and transitioning period we are in I think I would prefer to take this one on for the moment, if that’s ok?

1 Like

Hello @reef-building,

Apologies for taking so long to get on with my tasks. I had overlooked that I had quite some Reef meetings coming up, so I got a little overwhelmed.

Draft proposal on how to approach the decision on the common spaces

I made a first draft for your review and saved it on Nextcloud (internal link).

Questions:

• Can you please have a look and insert any questions, comments and/or amendments?
  • Would anybody be willing to take on the presentation at the plenary meeting on 15 September?
Structuring the research on architectural choices

I am not sure I will manage in time to put something on paper. If you have time to do some quick researches (e.g. quickly read through the Schoonschip wiki, look up some questions that interest you, …) that would be wonderful, otherwise we’ll just see what we get at the meeting with the architects and take it from there. Would that work?

1 Like

@Lee : works for me :slight_smile:

Concerning l’échappée, we are on for a visit from 9 to 10pm…
We’ll have to keep our voices down outside, in corridors and staircases.
And we’ll see one or 2 appartements.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the plan, @Lee !
I had a look, I think everything is there, I cannot think of anything to add right now. But on the other hand my brain is fried, so I’ll have a second look on Wednesday.
Perhaps mention the constraints on basement space? Not sure how essential that it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi guys! I wanted to prepare a summary for your review before the coordination meeting… Got a bit sick, couldn’t do it… will get at it soon!
In the meantime, do you have some specific questions for some other team?

1 Like
  • For Team Facilitation (short term): How to facilitate the agreement on the common spaces. Can you help?
  • For Team Inclusion (long term): Will you let us know about your needs for “le programme”? (e.g. number of square meters, special needs / adaptations, …)
1 Like

So @reef-building , here I go! Below is the outline I’m thinking of:

Team Building – Summary for Coordination Meeting 05/09

Where we’re at?

Progressively finding the way to coordinate and get ourselves organise. A bit difficult to get to a precise plan and start producing actual outcomes, but we’re getting there J. Emmanuelle left so we now only 4 + Lie temporarily

What are the key things the Team is working on?

Our objectives short term:

• Setting up the Programme
  • Determining the financial impact of architectural solutions to future-proofing, as well as variability between individual units.

What we’ve done so far:

• getting used to working methods
  • organising visits (l’échappée, samenhuizen bike tour; brutopia – TBD; schoonship – on hold) and meeting with the architects
  • brainstorming on how to operationalise research on architectural choices
  • Prepare the grounds for reflexion about common spaces (create an updated list, translate questionnaires from Mark, etc…)

What’s our plan so far for the near future?

• Prepare an outline/’plan de lecture’ on how to research topics (water, energy…) as well as a more precise list of issues to research.
  • Doing a ‘pilot study’ researching one specific topic (eg energy)
  • Prepare a discussion on common spaces for the plenary of the 15th (list and detailed fiches about some potential common spaces, potential issues, how to structure the discussion…)
  • From there, prepare a questionnaire to send to Reeflings about preferences/choices for individual units as well as common spaces.

What do we need?

Team Facilitation

Plenary of the 15th : Prepare a discussion on common spaces. How to facilitate the discussion and agreement? Can you help?

Team Inclusion:

‘Le programme’ (long term): Will you let us know about your needs? (e.g. number of square meters, special needs / adaptations, …)

Team Inclusion +/- Finance:

Common spaces - guest rooms (long term) : it is important to determine whether they could be rented out through a cooperative, in which case they need to be made more self-sufficient (i.e. include access to a more private kitchen, bathroom…). This point needs to be researched, as well as coordinated with team Inclusion and possibly Finance.

1 Like

Some questions for you:

• What do you think about asking team finance to work with us at some point about a costing out of desired or potential common spaces?
  • Not sure why the details about the guest rooms concerns team Inclusion??
  • A precise definition of “the programme”?
  • Any details that I should leave out (I know that I have a tendency for over-detailing)? Any things I’ve missed? You own sentiment about how the team is doing? Pretty much any feedback you have!
1 Like

Thanks a lot @Sarah!

I don’t understand the question. Can you elaborate a bit?

What I think we need from Team Inclusion is a bit more details about special needs (e.g. universal design etc). Not sure this is linked to the guest rooms.

“Le programme” is a list of everything we want in The Reef (number of m² private spaces, number of m² common spaces). It is used by the architects to do feasibility studies, i.e. to see whether we can build The Reef on a certain site.

It looks perfect to me.

My feeling is that everybody is going very well. The only thing I can see that is bothering us is that we don’t have sufficient information on the requirements for “le programme” to be able to start working. The meeting with the architects will hopefully remedy this.

1 Like

My thinking is that after we establish our preferences for common spaces, we should get an estimate of what the cost would be for each of the potential main scenarios. Because it will have an impact on what people can hope for with regard to the cost of their individual units. Perhaps this is what everyone already assumes the process will be, but I just wanted to clarify it…

1 Like

Hi all,
Is the meeting of today 6/09/22 suspended?

@matteomeschiari, we are in the Jitsi room that is in the Nextcloud calendar. We hope it will be a short meeting.

A post was split to a new topic: Common spaces

Hi @Sarah,

Would you be willing to pick up the visit to Schoonschip task?

We parked it a while ago because we were unsure about how to handle the cost of the visit, but that issue should get solved shortly.

It won’t be easy to find a date that suits everybody, so I would recommend to see with Schoonschip about the options, and then check in with the architects and their expert? After that we can see who of The Reef would like to join in?

TIA!

Hi Lie!
Sorry, I haven’t been very well and been a bit out if touch…
But no problem for schoonschip. Will get at it!

1 Like