Common spaces

Hello @reef-facilitation,

Here are some further details on the discussion on the common spaces.

Overall objective

The overall objective is for the group to come to an agreement on

• Which common spaces / functionalities we would like to include, and
  • How these common spaces would be used (can they be reserved, does it cost money, how will they be cleaned, …)
Deadline

We need this decision before we can start scouting for a site.

The decision should be more or less final. Only when we buy the site we can re-open it once to make some adjustments in function of the site.

Process

We are not fully clear about how we want to complete this process (first draft is saved here).

Any advice on how to go about this would be very welcome.

First discusssion to explore options at one of the next plenaries

To kick start the process we would like to give a short presentation (15 minutes Q&A included), followed by a sort of brainstorming exercise.

If this would be useful, we have a list of possible rooms in the Blueprint brochure (p. 6) and a list from a Team Building brainstorming in the minutes (26/07, table at the end).

For the brainstorming exercise we would like to keep it as realistic as possible, and focus in particular on the following aspects:

• How would you use room XYZ?
  • Which questions do we need to clarify about room XYZ?
Example: Guest room

Use:

• My mother would sleep over +/- 4 times a year. She’s a little older and would appreciate it if the guest room had some privacy.
  • My goldchild and her sisters would probably come for a sleepover a couple of times a year. They would need bunk beds but don’t need a lot of luxury.

Questions:

• Would we have a booking system?
  • What if several people want to use the guest room at the same time?
  • Who will take care of the cleaning?
  • Would it be free or would it cost a small amount of money?
Example: Multi-purpose room

Use:

• I am a member of a choir and if the possibility exists we could use The Reef’s multi-purpose room for our rehearsals.
  • I would like to invite my family (80 people) for an annual get-together.

Questions:

• Who will take care of the bookings of the multi-purpose room?
  • Would it cost money to use it?
  • What if several people want to use it at the same time?
  • Who will take care of the cleaning?
Question to Team Facilitation

Can you work with this?

Happy to discuss if you need further input!

Hello @reef-building,

I moved the common spaces discussion to a separate thread, because it’s important and otherwise we won’t be able to find it back.

Outcome of the brainstorming at the plenary meeting on 15 September

(see also the minutes):

• Rooftop

• Soundproof room (e.g. for band repetitions)

• Fitness room, tatami space

• Laundry room

• Dining room, guest corner, big eating hall

• Bathroom, bath tub, sauna

• Bike storage

• Guest rooms

• Workshop / tools room

• Spare rooms

• Silent space, quiet corner

• Common living room

• Children’s corner, play room

• Coworking space

• Multipurpose room, community meeting room, stage, room for workshops, playground for adults

• Common kitchen, professional kitchen

Next step?

What I think we need to clarify now for these rooms at a plenary meeting brainstorm is two things:

1. How we picture these rooms
  2. Identify the rooms that affect our choice for our private units. Example: if there is a common guest room, most people won’t get one in their private unit.

Question: do you agree with these two questions as the next step, or would you prefer to discuss this first at a Team Building meeting?

• If yes: would somebody be willing to volunteer to plan that meeting?

• If no: would somebody be willing to volunteer to plan a meeting after the plenary of 12/10, so that we can discuss the results of the second brainstorm and prepare a proposal?

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan to do it directly at the plenary…

At the moment, is team building just us two and Matteo right?
If yes, how about I just throw some dates out there and you guys tell me if that works for you?
So here:

• tuesday 18/10
  • Tuesday 25/10
    What do you say? :slight_smile:

I can do 18/10 and 25/10. On 24/10 we have the public presentation and on the 26th a plenary meeting, so I have a strong preference for the 18th.

Hi,
For the 24th, indeed, I actually took it out just after posting. Weird that you still see it as an option…
For the 18th, we have booked a team governance meeting at 8… what’s the earliest you guys could meet? I could maybe move the other meeting to 8.30 if we meet early enough…

Hi @reef-building & @reef-facilitation! I wasn’t at the plenary on September 15th and I just noticed there is no mention of a garden in the outcome of the brainstorming (apart for the rooftop, which may be a garden or not). Was it kept out of the scope of the exercise on purpose?

Yes it was, as was the garage and bike storage area. We focussed on what we would do with the 300 square metres supplementary to those spaces :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shall we say 19:30? If ok, would you be willing to put it on the calendar in Nextcloud?

Hello @reef-building,

Based on the outcome of the brainstorming at the plenary meeting of 15/09 I have created a Powerpoint slide with 4 quadrants: one axis is private vs open to the public, the other axis is essential vs nice to have. I saved it in the “common spaces” folder (internal link)

What I propose we do at the next plenary meeting is to see where everybody would put every room (for the moment I placed them at random).

What I would like to get out of it is a good indication of which common spaces people will count on when making decisions about their private units (e.g. if there is a common guest room, many people won’t get a guest room in their own unit).

Does this approach work for you? Any comments or suggestions?

2 Likes

Meeting was cancelled so yes to 7.30… Will put it in the calendar…

1 Like

@Celine_D: following up to your post and your feedback at the plenary meeting, could you please elaborate in a couple of sentences what kind of debate you would like to have about the garden?

Is there something specific that would affect your choice to purchase a unit in The Reef, or …? Understanding this a bit better would help us in Team Building to set up a discussion.

I suggest we have the same discussion on private/public and essential/nice-to-have for outdoor spaces.
And that we first make a list of spaces (and/or functions) we want/would like to have e.g. ornamental garden / vegetable garden / quiet corner / shade/ covered space / terrace / shed / playground …
I personally really want to have a place to grow vegetables/herbs/fruit.

2 Likes

Thanks @Celine_D: very clear! I added it to the list of topics for the plenary meeting. I think it merits a separate discussion from the indoor common spaces though, which is why I propose to keep it separate.

Here’s Team Building’s conclusion on the input from the plenary meeting on 12/10 (internal link to the Powerpoint)

1. Rooms / functions people need certainty about to make decisions about their private units:
  • Laundry room
  • Guest room
  • Coworking space
2. There is a relative consensus that the following common rooms / functions are essentials:
  • Guest room
  • Laundry room
  • Play room
  • Common living room
  • Multi-purpose room
  • Workshop
3. Questions we need to clarify before Team Building can come up with a proposal:
  • Common living room and multi-purpose room:
    • How will you use these rooms?
    • Are these separate rooms are can they be merged?
  • Coworking space:
    • Will you use it?
    • Would you be willing to pay for it?
    • What does it look like?
4. Next steps
  1. Discuss the questions listed under point 3 at a plenary meeting
  2. Team Building presents a proposal on essential common spaces
5. Other points to be clarified
  • Garden (exploration at a plenary meeting - see post no 12 above)
  • Legal structure: does it make sense to set up a cooperative or foundation? => with Team Finance
1 Like

Hi! If The Reef is to be resilient, wouldn’t it be good to have a cellar, I mean a proper cellar like in old houses, which remains cool throughout the year so that we could store vegetable/fruit/cheese (and wine ;-))?
Sorry for this late and maybe inappropriate post…

2 Likes

And ourselves in a heat wave. Maybe we can ask for an exception to the building code, and reclaim some of the parking spaces we do not need for this cellar idea.

2 Likes

@Celine_D, no such things as inappropriate ideas :heart:

I had the same idea after attending a lecture in “le Dk” in Saint-Gilles. They have a very big “multi-purpose room” underground, and it’s easy to see that this is a great asset during heat waves. The downside is that anything underground apparently costs a fortune, because it needs to be made waterproof.

So the way I think this is going to go, is that we first need to buy a site, and do some thorough brainstorming and reality checks together with the architects. But we can dream and explore in the meantime of course. Say, for example, that one day Brussels would be much more car-free. Can we build the garage / mandatory parking places such that in 10 years we can convert the space into a cellar / extra multi-purpose room?

2 Likes

Hi there!
Below are some extra questions that might help us think about point 3, and get a more detailed view of these spaces to prepare a proposal.

Extra questions for section 3

• Coworking space :

• Would you use it ? If yes, how many days a week ? What timetable ?
    • How much space would you need ? Would you need space a personnal desk ? desktop computer ? or would it work to have your laptop and a foldable desk?
    • Would it be opened to the public ?
    • Who would pay for it ? the whole community ? users ?
  • Common living-room

• What would you use it for/how would you use it ?
    • What corners/functions would you like to see in it?

@Lee : not sure that the questions appear clearly in the agenda of the next plenary; will it be included in the power point? And in any case, shouldn’t they be available for people to think about ahead of the meeting?

I included all your questions in the Powerpoint, and I hope that most people will have gone through it before the meeting. I’ll print a copy though, for the break-out sessions.

1 Like

Ok, then I think the problem is that the link to the power point is missing in the agenda…

1 Like