Team Facilitation moving forward (2024)

hi @reef-facilitation ,

(like i said i am a full of energy, so if this is not the time, we can talk later about it)
Some things on my mind:

• I find the idea of the buddy-pool really a good one and i wonder if that is not an idea to do that for facilitators. This circle’s goal is to support the facilitators, but i don’t even know who they are… Should every reef member be able to facilitate? For me no. With a pool we can offer ‘another service’ to reef members of the facilitator pool and others that are not in the pool. I worry that we will never get to other reef members than you chris and lee, to facilitate a plenary, so i think it’s important to support people who would want to consciously take up that role and for them knowing that they have a team to turn to if they need support…
  • another thing was: to integrate new people in this circle (maybe even being associates). For me being part of a team really helped to get to ‘know’ people, so it was really a positive thing. And i understand for certain circles (team finance, team building, team governance) it’s less easy to integrate new members, let alone open it up to associate members… But i find with team facilitation, the barrier is a low one and we could benefit from some extra help (even if it’s temporary)
1 Like

Great points @els !

Our next meeting is scheduled for 18 May, but it would be great if we could meet sooner. There’s also the brainstorming of the common spaces to organise, which may involve the techniques that you and @mieke are researching.

We’ll all be together on Saturday, so let’s discuss potentially moving the meeting forward a bit…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

hi @reef-facilitation ,

I met Tinne this weekend, who has decided to become an exploring member with her partner koen.
As team recruitement indicated that we should encourage exploring members to sit in on meetings, i had a look at the calendar, and because of this particular period, there is not much offer.

• team building meeting of this wednesday is or will be cancelled
  • there is the team finance meeting, but i don’t know if that’s very ‘accessible’ and might not be the ideal timing to follow that one right now.

so there are two left over,

• the team facilitation meeting of coming friday: will we keep it?
  • team recruitement meeting: you’re both in it => i guess that is accessible for an exploring member i guess?

Jumping in on this one …

The way I understand this, is that attending a team meeting can be a Plan B in case people don’t manage to attend a plenary meeting. I wouldn’t make it a standard thing, because it requires quite a bit of energy and I’d rather only invest in people who have decided to commit to being an associate member.

Team R&O only accepts full members for now. This is an exception to our “openness” policy because we found at that we need to freedom to speak freely about things that didn’t go well.

1 Like

I agree with both @Lee’s points. As team meetings are plan B though, if Tinne and Koen can’t make the lunch on Sunday or the plenary the following Sunday, then it could be possible to join this one. However, it’s not a particularly “normal” meeting, as the agenda is almost entirely focussed on the common spaces proposal. As for whether it is still going ahead, we said 17h30 on Friday, but the questionnaires are due back by 20h. Maybe we can change that last bit if we want to go ahead at that time, or reschedule (soon after)…

1 Like

I’ll send a reminder tonight , with a request to send them by 12:00 on friday (didn’t think of our meeting when sending the request for the commons out ).
We’ve now received 6 filled in templates, i guess we’ll have 5 or so more. I am in favour to keep the meeting as it is scheduled now, just to discuss how we’re going to present it and maybe define next steps… And for this we don’t need all data … @ChrisM @mieke ?

@Lee : is it the goal that we give a little presentation on this on the 22nd or just share this info via a post?

ok for me

I’m inefficiently having this conversation in more than one place :confused:

Yes to meeting at 17h30 on Friday.

No need to change the deadline for the questionnaire, because we don’t necessarily need the results to make a plan of what to do with them…

1 Like

@reef-facilitation : meeting minutes ready with action points, of yesterday’s meeting (28/05/24)
https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/48915

1 Like

Hi @reef-facilitation,

In my capacity of Coordinator I read your meeting minutes, and I worry that we are mixing up the “domains” (sociocratic word for competence area) of the different teams. It’s great if you want to work on the common spaces, but coming to a conclusion on this (including details on bike spaces, how it is done in other cohousings etc) is the domain of Team Building, so there is no need to duplicate that effort.

If Team Building called on you two months ago, it’s because they needed help with a first consultation. Now they will be having a meeting with the architects on Monday, and based on the conclusions of that meeting they will come back to you with a request for help to achieve the kind of output / result the architects will be expecting.

That said I think the urgent and important job right now is to see that as a group we will be able to have exchanges with significantly bigger groups of people (see the list of suggested items in the Coordination Group’s agenda document). Ideally we would reach that point of competence around September. How to get there will be up to you, but my recommendation would be to ask for a significant budget and see wheter an organisation as collectiv-a could be of help. Of the top of my head there is also the manual from Heartwood Cohousing that could be of help.

Another action item would be to set up the facilitation trainings. I guess this would be another series of basic trainings, followed by our first series of advanced training. Here I believe this can be as simple as Chris and myself putting some dates on the calendar, and then organise the trainings during the summer.

That’s my fault… I more took it up as i like playing with figures, have time to do stuff and in light of the Team building meeting on monday. I agree that’s not the task of team facilitation…

3 Likes

Hi @reef-facilitation, we need to find a new date for meeting since our meeting on Thursday is at the same time as the Tivoli visit :slight_smile:
Please vote below :slight_smile: [poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=5 public=true chartType=bar]

• 30 July
  • 31 July
  • 1 August
  • 2 August
  • None of these dates
    [/poll]
1 Like

You’ve been away so long that you’ve forgotten how polls work :sweat_smile:

I can do 30 July, 31 July and 1 August, daytime or evening…

Haha I did it on my phone, I thought it was some error on my phone and it would probably be visible on a pc screen… but OK, you see what I meant right? :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

So the dates that I suggested all work for me after working hours :slight_smile:

1 Like

all dates work for me after working hours…

31st of July then?

2 Likes

Hello @reef-facilitation,

Looking at the process we are facing in the next coming months, and based on the experience of Tivoli, I would really like it if we could foresee a significant budget to hire trained facilitators in case we get stuck making important decisions. Once our group is more complete (say Q1-2 next year) I would then consider to invest in training our own facilitators. For both things I believe Collectiv-a is probably the one and only affordable provider (but I may be missing some of course).

Would you be willing to look into this, and include a sum in the budget for Q3-4?

1 Like

@reef-facilitation @Lee : read in the fiches that thomas is a facilitator, maybe sb we should try to include in team facilitation?

2 Likes

I spoke to Thomas about this on Sunday. He’s keen to join Team Facilitation and would be a real asset with his experience…

I Iooked into Collective previously and came away with the impression that they weren’t able to offer training in English. However, we had a good talk about them at Tivoli the other day, so they are back on my radar. Therefore, yes… :slight_smile: