Team Facilitation moving forward (2024)

We have 550 euros available in the Team Facilitation budget (Q3-4) for doing something with Collective…

Although we’ve established that they provide workshops in English, it would probably be better if a fluent French speaker reached out to them. I think at this stage we are just asking:

• how much they would charge to come in an facilitate a plenary if we were having trouble with a decision
  • can they do everything they offer in English
  • would they be able to give Team Facilitation some training in the spring

I’ve also reached out to Nathalie, the friend of Ralf’s that did the deep democracy half-day workshop for us a while ago. I was interested to see if she could facilitate a workshop for us around conflict prevention and healthy group dynamics. Her fee is a little out of the Reef’s price range, but the last time we made up for that by all contributing a bit. I’m going to meet with her in September, and potentially bring a proposal forward…

:slight_smile:

I would then propose to increase the budget so that we can hire someone from Collectiv-a (or equivalent) whenever we need them. We have just experienced how we got a delay in the planning because we had some difficulties with the common spaces. As the cost of any further delays will only increase, I think spending money on facilitation (as they did for example in Tivoli) is well worth the money.

1 Like

Hi @mieke and @thomasameel !

I would really like to have a Team Facilitation meeting soon after I get back from holiday, to reconnect with the aims and tasks associated with this team, as well as discussing the coordinator role.

Here’s a poll re availablity :

• Tuesday 11 September (evening)
  • Wednesday 12 September (evening)
  • Tuesday 17 September (evening)
  • Thursday 19 September (evening)
0 voters

I don’t think we’ll need more than an hour at this point, as it’s mainly about making a plan for moving forward and developing some momentum with this team. We can meet online or in person, either of which is fine with me. Once we have a date, I will post an agenda and set up a signal group for the practicalities…

:slight_smile:

Hi Chris,

thanks for pushing this forward

I’m a bit confused with the dates you propose, I assume you made an error? 11/09 is a Wednesday and 12/09 is a Thursday

I’ll let you fix the poll, but for now I can only make the 17th
however, if it’s only an hour, I could do more, but then I’d need to know a more specific timing…
on Wednesdays I work until 19:30 and on Thursdays until 20:00

warmly,
thomas

I don’t know how to reply to a post in the thread, or how to ‘quote a post’, but I’m responding to the remark Els made about me being a facilitator:

to this point, I am indeed a trained facilitator and I could also develop some training for the Reef facilitators

however, as you might imagine and have probably already experienced, facilitating a process you’re involved in yourself is tricky and sometimes not possible, you can try to be aware of the different roles you hold, but if you’re facing a decision in which you have your own interests, it can get very murky

depending on the level of decision making, I would consider a budget for external facilitation, as a backup plan
and maybe we can develop some kind of policy about when to bring in external facilitation or not

I could also help find facilitators, if that would still be a need

just some first thoughts, to discuss when we meet

in any case, looking forward to it!

warmly
thomas

Thanks for the reply @thomasameel !

In a classic Edgeryders poll malfunction, I did indeed get the dates wrong :confused: But noted that you are available on the 17th, and for now, that’s the date for a potential meeting.

I’m not sure what remark of Els you’re responding to, but all of the things you mention in this post are exactly what I would like to discuss in a Team Facilitation meeting :slight_smile:

Shall we fix the 17th then? I could also make myself available after work.

It’s a done deal! When I get back, I’ll set up the Signal group… :slight_smile:

2 Likes