TechBlick 08 - Daniel [EN]

So my name is Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of the text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information after the interview, so if you agree, please tell me your name and that you accept.

Okay, my name is Daniel Brown and I accept.

Thank you very much, Daniel. So the first question, can you tell me a bit about your educational and professional background and interests?

So I am an economics and politics graduate, originally, I spent most of my working career in Japan. I currently work for a Japanese robotics company in the innovation department.

What is the area of your expertise?

So I’m a business development manager looking to find interesting new technologies and create collaborations and new business opportunities.

Uh, the theme of this conference is The Future of Electronics Reshaped. What does the idea of reshaping electronics for the future mean to you?

Uh, that’s a very difficult question. There are lots of different directions. I think that electronics is being taken at the moment. It’s hard to narrow down to one thing. I think.

Uh, what do you think is the relationship between electronics and sustainability?

Uh, well, I there’s a big problem, I think, with electronics is that it’s not very sustainable. It’s not very recyclable. Uh, that’s a big e-waste is a big issue, I think. Uh.

Can you define a circular economy in your own words? What is circular economy?

I guess it’s the, uh, continuous reuse of materials. Yeah.

A little bit more.

I thought that kind of sums it up quite quite succinctly, so that the idea is that. Yeah, you there’s there’s no beginning and end to the materials that you’re using. So you just keep reusing items continuously. So there’s no end no end waste product.

Do you participate in circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Beyond standard recycling? Not really. If recycling counts as circular, then yes. Yeah.

Uh, do you think electronics can play a role in making the car industry more sustainable?

Uh, I’m not quite sure the the meaning of the question, but I think that’s difficult.

And do you think electronics can play a role in making the car industry more circular, more circular economy?

I think 3D printed electronics can potentially make the electronics industry more circular. Additive processes don’t create waste materials, and in theory, might be easier to reuse and recycle. Products made additively. Yeah.