TechBlick 19 - Mira [EN]

So my name is Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you information sheet with contact information after the interview, so if you agree, please tell me your name and that you agree.

I agree. My name is Mira Wyman.

Thank you. Mira. So the first question, can you tell me a bit about your educational and professional background and interests?

I have a BSc in biochemistry. I my interests are wide from. Art, philanthropy and science. I am a divorced single mother with four children and seven grandchildren.

What is your area of expertise?

I’m the CEO founder of a printed electronics company called Infotech.

The theme of this conference is The Future of Electronics Reshaped. What does the idea of reshaping electronics for the future mean to you?

We embed our electronics into textiles. We all wear clothes, we all wear shoes, and we all sit on seats. How do we use the data that we’re emanating from all of that? And we use our sensors to do that.

What do you think is the relationship between electronics and sustainability?

Sustainability is a rather open word that means different things to different people. So electronics is useful as far as sustainability used in the correct way. So. I think it’s useful. I think we need it. It is there and we can follow, so long as we use that data that the electronics provides us in a good way, then it’s good.

Can you define a circular economy in your own words?

I’m not sure totally circular economy can ever exist because you’re always, always going to be a cost basis. So it is. Starting at one point and going round making your product and at what? How efficiently can you do that so that it is cost effective and sustainable and all like that?

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspects of your life?

In certain ways, I don’t have a car. I don’t have a Lexi. Alexa, I don’t have any of that. I don’t have many gadgets in the house, so I’m perfectly capable of switching on a light by going and walking to the light switch. So yes, in that way.

Do you think electronics can play a role in making the car industry more sustainable?

So as far as sustainability in circular goes and electronics, I believe in electronics that we need to have rather than nice to have. And most of the electronics that goes into a car is nice to have not need to have. So we should try and control that rather.

Do you think electronics can play a role in making the car industry more circular?

Maybe if there’s correct use of the data from there. So more circular. Difficult. I would say.

Think about reusing eliminating.

Well so eliminating risk. So that’s in the need to have. So as far as detecting if somebody is falling asleep or whatever at the wheel, what their position is like. Certainly as far as speed goes, as far as safety factors or like that, yes. But it doesn’t necessarily land up in circular, but it lands up in sustainable.