The Reef's state of finances midway through 2023

Hello @reeflings, this is your friendly accountant with a report on the state of the ASBL’s finances at this point in time (end of June 2023). In brief, we are doing fine.

Understanding money in The Reef

The links below require an account with The Reef’s accounting platform, FreeAgent. I have created accounts for all full and associate (but not exploring) members. You should have received an email inviting you to create a password. Doing this is an exercise in financial transparency, and not mandatory – you can get the main information in this post, and dive deeper into the accounting data if you are curious. I strongly suggest new members see this explanation of how we do spending and financial transparency in The Reef.

How we are doing in mid 2023

In the past six months, we spent about 1,200 EUR, mostly in training courses and materials and renting venues for meetings and presentations. We also collected a bit over 4,000 EUR, almost all in annual membership dues (for associate memberships) and one-time full membership fees. You can see our cash flow statement for the year so far below, or on Freeagent.

Our balance sheet at the date of writing is very simple: we are holding almost 13,000 EUR in the ASBL’s bank account. This is the result of the various membership fees paid by associate and full members over 18 months, minus some expenses we incurred (an important one in 2022 was paying our coach). We have enough money to front for a fair number of feasibility studies. The situation is stable and relatively prosperous. See our balance sheet on FreeAgent if you want to know more.

10 Likes

Hi @alberto , thanks for this information.
‘‘I have created accounts for all full and associate (but not exploring) members. You should have received an email inviting you to create a password.’’
Did I ? Not sure about that, but no urgent.
Thanks