The Unmonastery - some design issues

While I wait around for the green light on a prototype Unmonastery in Matera 2013, I have been thinking about how to design such a thing. It is inevitable: people I mentioned it to have been asking questions - and since there is absolutely no precedent, all answers have to be made up from scratch. Provisionally, I would group them into three categories.

What kind of projects?

Quite naturally, people want to know if their pet project would be welcome at the Unmonastery. Can I finish to write my book? Can I learn to cook Thai? Can I experiment with a new way of growing carrots? Some projects are difficult to fit into the mould for practical reasons: for example, if yours entails growing bonsais you are likely to need a longer time that the prototype Unmonastery has to offer. If you want to build a Lego particle accelerator, you are likely to need more space than we would be given. For others there are no physical constraints, and the choice is a little more difficult. A fundamental decision is whether to allow people to join the Unmonastery to do something that does not require the collaborations of others unSisters and unBrothers, but simply peace and quiet. This was part of the landscape of monasteries, after all: I guess people who wanted to be left alone to meditate on whatever it is they wanted to meditate on gave their monasteries something in return, maybe something as simple as another pair of arms for the daily chores. In the case of the Unmonastery, though, the whole point is for the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts - so, in a sense, somebody finishing away her book and not interacting much with anyone in the process is somehow wasteful. Difficult one. My hunch is that an effort should be made to bake into the deal with interesting people searching for peace something that they can contribute to the whole project, maybe something unexpected.

What kind of institution? 

A fully successful prototype Unmonastery turns into a new institution that fills a previously empty niche in society. Though this will emerge (or not) at least as much as it is designed, a lot of thinking needs to be given to how to organize an Unmonastery. Some decisions appear to be very down-to-earth, but they actually contribute to the cultural wiring. For example: who does the dishes? Is it better to hunt for funding to hire cleaning staff or demand that unmonks and un-nuns contribute to the keeping of the house? There is a cultural element there: if you take turns in washing everyone's dishes, somehow you go deeper into the feeling of community. Or: can people bring their children? Of course it is more welcoming to allow monks and nuns to bring along their offspring: on the other hand, given limited capacity, children might be displacing other potential unmonks. 

What relationship with the local community?

As Eimhin pointed out, no point in "installing solutions". People want to be part of discovering and mounting solutions together with the local community. So how is this managed? How do we make sure that somebody from, say, Ireland, who does not speak any Italian and spends one month in the Unmonastery in Matera has a meaningful interaction with the locals? At a minimum, we need not one UnAbbott/UnAbbess, but two: one from the nascent Unmonastery global community, to manage people coming and going, and one from the local community, to connect the dots. But there are many, many more choices to make. Do we start by making a list of issues people in Matera are working on? Do we aim at sharing new, strange (for them) things which they are presently not engaged with  - but which could be life-changing? Here is a particularly intriguing one: do unmonks/un-nuns wear attires that clearly identify them as such? It seems weird, but it could be a great way of signifiying "it's ok to talk to me, I am here to make something new in this place". 

Any ideas?

Organizational design

As for the issue what kind of projects to include in the un-monastery: I don’t want to exploit the monastic imagery too far, but, here’s an example. The high school I went to was founded and organized by a Cistercian monastery. So it was a major common project, and many of the monks were teachers there. However, they also had some “free time” for personal side projects. The abbott for example liked renewable energy, and  operated a turbine and heat pump in the creek flowing around the monastery, covering a part of its energy needs and in turn being funded by the monastery’s money …

Generalizing this brings up the question if it would be a good organization style if everybody just works on his / her pet project or if there rather would be (also) some “official” projects that the un-monastery group agrees upon.

Having common projects in an edgy, tech-savvy community also enables some very special style of powerful, colocated, efficient collaboration. The experience of which can let one forget easily that one is maybe not working on ones perfect choice of project. Had this experience for some weeks (in total) when working together with tens and later hundreds of people to transform an abandoned army area for a larger music festival. The sense of solidarity and mutual help was really unique; I did computer and network services there, and whenever I needed handicrafts people to change / fix something, it was done in minutes. Add to this some special smartphone app for agile collaboration, and the un-monastery could become a totally unique place. (Personally, I have always been fascinated by powerful intentional communities, and have done organizational design and collaboration software design for these in my diploma thesis.)

And doing the dishes would be within the tasks of any self-respecting un-monastery. The agile collaboration software could manage it … :smiley:

Creativity feeder

The way i see this project is partly as a talent incubator or magnifier.

During last twelve years, i’ve been struggling to understand how works my own creativity, what does it depends to, and how to facilitate its emergence. I quickly realised that an idea comes when it has to come, and that often these ideas come from interactions and experiences. I also realised that a good way to facilitate creativity is to always look beyond what i already know, always learn and look for new experiences. And also that a wide range of various activities including artistic, production, spiritual, social, etc feeds creativity and empowers people.

Edgeryders seem to have something in common : multi-disciplinarity and a wide range of interests and concerns.

Projects could be personal through collective accomplishments as we all have this idealistic common goal : “make everything better”.

Writing a book, meditation, and other “solo projects” may be included in a collective effort to make things happen as “collective projects” need help from many individuals to happen.

The point i’m trying to make is that solo and collective projects will inspire and feed each others.

Taking good care of a permaculture garden requires hands and willings, and it’s an inspiring activity.

The main difficulty to make it work is to have a good balance between individual and collective investment.

A way to get to that is to make collective projects priorities : individuals are part of the unmonastery, they don’t simply benefit from it, and so they have to contribute when collective efforts need it.

So everyone should be concerned by cleaning the dishes and make sure the place stays clean and welcoming, help with the food and everything that covers basic needs. It seems like the first responsibility. The second one being collective projects and final one individual projects.

Don’t serve anybody.

Don’t be served by anyone.

Just take part of it.

Help with it, collaborate.

Feed your creativity, and express it.

So part-and-part?

What you seem to be saying (like Matthias and Charanya in their own comments) is that, on joining the UM, people should be expected to help others as part of the experience. This means:

1. everyone is involved in doing the dishes
  2. everyone has some time set aside for helping others
  3. some people should bring in projects that need several other people to be completed. If everyone comes in with a book to write solo, there is not enough interaction. 
Did I get it right?

or peer to peer ?

1. a friend just told me yesterday about a small festival he volunteered to where food was prepared collectively and where everyone had to wash their own dishes. It worked pretty well and such an approach for various other annoying but necessary tasks such as cleaning can have various side effects :
  • no wasted money on such services

• investment in community spirit as these common tasks are shared and can lead to precious shared moments (i remember many good times doing such tasks as cleaning, cooking or washing dishes with friends or family while having loads of fun)

• increased responsibility : the more an individual is aware about what it means to get such a place running well, the more he would be responsible and try to do their best to respect the place.

• awareness on how we can depend on others to do these tasks. Restaurants and pubs are good exemples as you pay for food and drink but also for a service.

1. I’m not sure some time has to be set aside in a strict manner. Volunteering could work well, but depending on the number of people living in the same place, some organisation tools may be needed to circumvent some issues. Like a mobile API that allows to see ongoing projects, their needs and dates and a subscription form, or a simple board may be enough.

Anyway, there are many things to do to get such a place running, and it seems important that everyone takes part of it in a way or the other. At least no one should be a complete burden for the community and just benefit from other’s activities.

1. Considering that many people seem to have ideas or projects including locals, i don’t think it could turn into solo writers doing their thing and not interacting with others.

Well, we can never be sure. :slight_smile:

But interactions seem a crucial point in this project. Sharing knowledge, practices, etc and also simple life moments may be the tissue and power of such a place.

To answer more shortly : yes, you got it right.

Helping and sharing should be part of the deal to be in such place.

Personal vs Collective

One of the main reasons that Unmonastery appeals to me is that I will be in a peaceful state of being - where I can follow what I love to do. Therefore, at a personal level I would for e.g. spend part of time in pursuing my goals and establishing my work within the UnMonastery.

At the same time, I do not find a contradiction in terms of belonging to a larger context that draws upon the collective will, ideas, expertise and passions of everyone involved. The Unmonastery would be special becuse it would let me write my book, help someone cook thai food and give me the ability to interact with the local population where it would be based with an understanding that does not talk down them but talks with them.

We would be there to learn as much as we teach. Its important that this someone reflects in the individual and collective identity of the Unmonastery. I have seen similar stories, much smaller scale though in India where it was met with  cynicism primarily because of this ‘identification’ issue.

Personal vs Collective

One of the main reasons that Unmonastery appeals to me is that I will be in a peaceful state of being - where I can follow what I love to do. Therefore, at a personal level I would for e.g. spend part of time in pursuing my goals and establishing my work within the UnMonastery.

At the same time, I do not find a contradiction in terms of belonging to a larger context that draws upon the collective will, ideas, expertise and passions of everyone involved. The Unmonastery would be special becuse it would let me write my book, help someone cook thai food and give me the ability to interact with the local population where it would be based with an understanding that does not talk down them but talks with them.

We would be there to learn as much as we teach. Its important that this someone reflects in the individual and collective identity of the Unmonastery. I have seen similar stories, much smaller scale though in India where it was met with  cynicism primarily because of this ‘identification’ issue.

Transparency & Communication rather than some Strict Rules

I would like that we approach it: ‘Let’s keep it transparent to the whole world’ and levereage culture and practice of communication to arrive at how we want to coexist in such environment.

Trying to ‘regulate’ too much up front doesn’t feel for me like a way to go. I believe that people who share experience in such place can find ways of finding a common ‘sweet spot’ :slight_smile:

Regular forum/assemblea/plenum community meetings can help with clearing possible tensions which of course can happen everywhere…

Just playing around with ideas…

No worries, Elf, I am all for minimal regulation. Just playing around with ideas here… and also, I suspect people will be asking a lot of questions to decide whether they should join at all: one or two months are a significant investment, and it seems reasonable to wonder what to expect.

Gandi and cleaning toilets :slight_smile:

I like to take my share of washing dishes, cleaning toilets etc. Lately someone have brought to my attentiong that Gandi with wife also liked to take their turns. Related highlight from one of pages i just searched: http://annotateit.org/annotations/dKKqO3jzQ-ychTqlU7645A

some places with self-organized approaches

http://nomadbase.org/

“We believe in sharing, adventure, conviviality, fun and abundance. Some of us hitchhike, some of usdumpster dive food. Some of us have worked hard on free software, on Wikipedia. We think it’s time to converge these movements of sharing to create a free platform for activists, couchsurfers, artists, free thinkers and free spirits all over the world. We think sharing should go further than the couch. We believe the internet offers opportunities to accelerate the move to a post-scarcity world. We want to create a network based on trust, transparency and cooperation.”

Example : Open Space Approach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-space_technology

note - also see :  http://www.open-organizations.org/

Open Space Technology :

is an approach for hosting meetings, conferences, corporate-style retreats, and community summit events, focused on a specific and important purpose or task—but beginning without any formal agenda, beyond the overall purpose or theme.”

The approach is most distinctive for its initial lack of an agenda, which sets the stage for the meeting’s participants to create the agenda for themselves.”

"Whatever happens, there are some outcomes or results that can be guaranteed to happen [4] when people assemble in an Open Space event.

1. The issues that are most important to people will get discussed.
  2. The issues raised will be addressed by the participants best capable of getting something done about them.
  3. All of the most important ideas, recommendations, discussions, and next steps will be documented in a report.
  4. When sufficient time is allowed, the report contents will be prioritized by the group.
  5. Participants will feel engaged and energized by the process."

"According to open space technology: A User’s Guide [2] and other books by Harrison Owen, open space technology works best when these conditions are present:

1. A real issue of concern, that it is something worth talking about.
  2. a high level of complexity, such that no single person or small group fully understands or can solve the issue
  3. a high level of diversity, in terms of the skills and people required for a successful resolution
  4. real or potential conflict,[5] which implies that people genuinely care about the issue
  5. a high level urgency, meaning the time for decisions and action was "yesterday"
He goes further to explain these as when we are not ready to do Open Space. When we are:
  1. without a real business issue, nobody cares.
  2. without complexity, there is really no reason to have a meeting (solve it!).
  3. without diversity there is not sufficient richness in the points of view to achieve novel solutions.
  4. without passion and conflict -- there is no juice to move things along.
  5. without a real sense of urgency, all that wonderful passion loses focus and power."
"Further, the recognition of these conditions by leadership typically implies some level of letting go of control and opening of invitation. In different ways and to varying degrees, leaders convening Open Space meetings acknowledge that they, personally, do not have "the answer" to whatever complex, urgent and important issue(s) must be addressed and they put out the call (invitation) to anyone in the organization or community who cares enough to attend a meeting and try to create a solution.

In a different text[6] he talks about preconditions for open space

The essential preconditions are:

1. A relatively safe nutrient environment.
  2. High levels of diversity and complexity in terms of the elements to be self-organized.
  3. Living at the edge of chaos. Nothing will happen if everything is sitting like a lump.
  4. An inner drive towards improvement. e.g. a cartoon atom wants to get together with other atoms to become a molecule.
  5. Sparsity of connections.
Kaufmann[7] is suggesting that self-organization will only occur if there are few prior connections between the elements, indeed he says no more than two. In retrospect, it seems to make sense. If everything is hardwired in advance how could it self-organize?"

Mb need some sort of icebreaker?

I feel like we might need some icebreaker/collaborative research project with locals on how they see the unMonastery in the city. Develop some sort of shared vision of it?

ER’s already have quite a bunch of visions.

-Some see it as a place of loneliness where they can themselves lock themselves up and finish the unfinished.

-Some see it as a co-working space to come on a stage when their projects need peers and participants.

- Or the place to come to share skills in the moments of the incompleteness of ideas.

What else?

Anyway, to which point we share the conceptual map with the people who live in Matera?

To which extent it matters? (I think it does, if the unMonastery is in Matera, it should be Matera-embedded)

+1

any ideas how we can open this process to locals right now? i respect that some of us may want to work with top-bottom direction and develop relations with people working in town ‘official’ administration, at the same time i would love to see some sort of site survey and start gathering invormation about local NGOs, community spaces and initiatives, schools, clubs, CSAs, cultural spaces and events etc. it could support complementary bottom-up direction :slight_smile:

list them and contact by email?

May be contact few existing local initiatives, explain them what we are and ask for suggestions and feedback? Possible clues and insights.

By the way, if we know the location of the future unMonastery we can start by introducing ourselves (the project I mean) to the neighbours?

I can help with that

Probably Andrea Paoletti too. But not before September!

There’s no “the locals”

As everywhere, while there are people living and working in Matera, there is no entity called “the people of Matera” that you can sit down at a table and share a plan with. So I guess it would come down to a few people (myself and Andrea Paoletti included) to start a mixed local/nonlocal unMonastery crowd. And I am afraid the only place to do this would be online!

This, by the way, is another design issue. We could, for example, filter applications by picking the most relevant to a set of issues that is suggested by local people; we could appoint local people (creatives? tech people?) to select among applicants who gets to be an unmonk/nun. If I could do things my way, I would do it top down with a lot of bottom up: have the Matera 2019 committee take responsibility for making the choice but creating an online conversation between locals and nonlocals around which people (and, by implication, which projects) should come to the first iteration of the uM.

can we get locals to help us designing a logo, or heraldics?

Or attires? (to: "Here is a particularly intriguing one: do unmonks/un-nuns wear attires that clearly identify them as such? It seems weird, but it could be a great way of signifiying “it’s ok to talk to me, I am here to make something new in this place”. )

dispersion, chores, and sartorial splendor

Wondering. Is the physical facility a single building, or would it be desirable to disperse the folks around the town? Being in a large building creates a physical separation from the town. That may be desirable–just for a bit of privacy (whether Alberto belives in privacy or not–a long-standing debate fra noi). If separate, a means of inviting the people of the town in has to be devised.

Chores? Make a list. Make them a condition of residence. The big issues would be cooking and cleaning. General maintenance and repairs may require help from people in the trades in the towns. Unless you can guarantee that one of the fellow residents is going to be an electrician. A garden (and assignments) would help–grow your own. An orchard (cultivate your own). Olive trees (for a sacred space, oil, wood, peace).

It may help if the people in the town design the uniform. I’d favor a hat, preferably one made by someone in town. Italians and hats go way back. Look at just about every Renaissance painting.

A presto.

Good point

Dispersion is a good idea… but a center of gravity is needed, I think, for many reasons. I would probably start with a core of unmonks/nuns living under the same roof, but - if there is enough demand - ask around in town if anybody would be willling to host people who, let’s say, participate to the unMonastery experience but for shorter periods, like one or two weeks. This would be aligned with other characteristics of the Matera 2019 bid.