Update: Horizon 2020 proposals we are working on in 2019

At the request of @ireinga, here is a recap of a meeting @anique.yael, @marina and I held earlier this week. It was meant to go through the Horizon 2020 calls we had been considering, and decide which ones to discard (as the early ideas have not developed enough, or our prospects look poor) and which to go for. Here’s what is still in the game:

• SU-GOVERNANCE-10-2019: Drivers and contexts of violent extremism in the broader MENA region and the Balkans. Codename EMIC. We have a great partner (OICD at U Oxford) and a strong idea (concept note). We need help in putting together a consortium, and that starts with finding a credible, experienced lead partner who already won projects under GOVERNANCE. Marina is on it, but
  • TRANSFORMATION-17-2019: Societal challenges and the arts. Conceptually led by the Culture Crew, specifically @noemi. To be done in partnership with ArtShare, who will assemble a consortium.
  • DT-TRANSFORMATIONS-11-2019: Collaborative approaches to cultural heritage for social cohesion. Here we do not quite have an idea to push. However, the theme is dear to people like @bob and Marina: the strategy is to “put ourselves out there”, if someone wants us in a consortium we will consider it, but we are not actively puching at this time.
  • DT-GOVERNANCE-13-2019: Digitisation, Digital Single Market and European culture: new challenges for creativity, intellectual property rights and copyright. This is the most advanced, and we are starting to negotiate the budget. Led by Erasmus U in Rotterdam.
  • SwafS-17: Consolidating and expanding the knowledge base on citizen science. Codename The Alchemists. We have a strong idea and a strong consortium, so we are going ahead. Unfortunately, this is a badly funded topic, so our prospects are not brilliant. We want to re-use most of the work and some of the partners to apply also for SwafS-20: Building the SwafS knowledge base.

UPDATE We have received a proposal to get involved also in SwafS-19: Taking stock and re-examining the role of science communication. It is an unusual project, where the idea is to launch a subscription service on news about space. Anyone has any thoughts?

Anybody wants to help, let us know.

4 Likes

How can I help? What do you need?

People that read the docs and say “it looks like X would add value to this proposal. I happen to know about X; happy to help write it into the proposal, and to take care of delivering it if the proposal is successful”.

2 Likes

For societal challenges and the arts it is important to mention that it is led by @natalia_skoczylas who has been mobilizing a large part of her network in the search for partners, and it is thanks to her that we even have a potentially strong one, at the core with IETM (see 1) below)!

And that we have two concepts:

1. with IETM network for contemporary arts, a concept focusing on the societal impact of live arts. Here we have started discussions with a few university departments, so it is more advanced than the other…
  2. with Artshare as you mention.

I’m interested in helping with:

DT-GOVERNANCE-13-2019: Digitisation, Digital Single Market and European culture: new challenges for creativity, intellectual property rights and copyright.

TRANSFORMATION-17-2019: Societal challenges and the arts.

SU-GOVERNANCE-10-2019: Drivers and contexts of violent extremism in the broader MENA region and the Balkans.

Hey Nadia!
have you seen our concept notes for the Societal challenges call? I think it will be clear by the end of this week with whom we’re forming the consortium, we’re scheduling our last calls at the moment, and we’re still open to have a talk with one or two Universities I believe (that’s for performative arts, for outsider art we’re waiting for Artshare to get back to us). Think which one seems more interesting and we can have a talk about it soon. Tomorrow I’m meeting some of my artist friends in Berlin to brainstorm about the proposal and engage them in the process as well. Let me know what you think.

1 Like

As I understand it, this is already being developed? I certainly have a strong network around these issues in Stockholm, and would love to plug Blivande into it somehow. @natalia_skoczylas and @noemi, let me know the Nordic crew could be a part of a consortium as event organisers. Is there a place where this proposal is being explored?

Is there any further information or documents on where this proposal is going? It’s certainly within my realm of interest, and has been for more than a decade.

Perhaps this could be an area for the digital ethnography skunkworks?
Anyhow, it might be an interesting project. I’m interested, but I don’t have anything specific to bring to the table at this point.

So like @nadia, I can state that I’m interested in helping out.

Yes: here. I can see a substantial added value of your previous Pirate Party hat in this project. We are mostly in WP2.a. I did not share the link in my main post, because we have not negotiated a fully open information policy with the other partners. You, @hugi, can still access, and so can people with access to our Drive. But the occasional reader of the platform, for now, can not.

The way I see it, the skunkworks is a horizontal space: it serves all projects, by honing and moving forward the methodology. So, I aim to fund it by protecting pockets of bdget here and there. What do you have in mind?

Got it, I’ll look into it.

I can think of one. One of the often ridiculed hallmarks of armchair citizen scientists is that they are sometimes open-minded types with active imaginations, seeing patterns and connections everywhere without much rigidity or statistical power to back it up. This is the sort of naiveté that is beaten out of “real” scientists on the track to tenure, as recently lamented by Avi Loeb on the topic of Oumuamua.

Is there a way for digital ethnography, network science and perhaps some smart AI to filter out interesting new hypotheses of real connection between phenomena from the noise of the crackpots? Could there be a way to identify when a new coherent hypothesis of connection between phenomena has been spawned, and is there a way to to weed out the posts of highest quality? Perhaps do rudimentary filtering looking for language which indicates specificity and measurement (units, tables, numbers).

1 Like

I really like this question!

At this point, we seem to have a consortium coming together, but there still might be a spot for a civil society org - not necessarily related to performative arts, as we need to add a multidisciplinary aspect to the project and bring as many diverse partners as possible. Blivande could come in as a social hub and maybe a slightly techy and political space with an artistic element I believe . We will have more news about the final partners early next week. I think we should collaborate on it.

2 Likes

Fantastic. I’d be excited to do so. It fits very well with what I want to do – find ways to work on Edgeryders and Blivande at the same time. I’m very willing to put time and effort into this application, just point me in the right direction.

1 Like

@natalia_skoczylas we have been taught that a consortium has a lot more chances if it is embedded in the topic. That normally means, at a minimum, being led by a high prestige org which has won projects under the same call (TRANSFORMATIONS) before.

In practice, this type of org tends to have a consortium already lined up. So, in the two successful proposals of 2018, we joined existing consortia rather than making our own. This is easier and tends to be more successful. The price we paid was that we could propose other partners, but in some cases the leading organisation said no: they had their own agenda and partners.

If you follow this strategy too, my advice would be not to make promises to third parties until you have a deal in place with the consortium leader, and to leave space in the consortium for key partners, especially the leader. @anique.yael can tell you much more about this.

1 Like

Yes. That’s why we are saying we’ll have more news on this next week, because we wont move forward if between IETM and us can’t find a strong leader.
Mental note for me and @natalia_skoczylas : let’s check that the uni partners have done H2020 projects before, and discuss with Elena about ways to make our application stronger. If not, we know we can still drop it.

The two concept notes are here.

Let’s catch up next week!
For the live arts project, on the side of outreach and dissemination we have ER and European Alternatives, but we will know more later.
For the outsider art, there is not much yet.

1 Like

Yes. The risk is to have a bunch of inexperienced academics to drag along: they write stuff that won’t win, so not only you have to do the heavy lifting yourselves, but also deal with their hurt feelings when you edit their content. Not efficient. For them, on the other hand, it’s great: worst case scenario, nothing happens. Best, they get some money, yay! Talk to me if you want to understand more in depth what that means in practice. Been there.

1 Like

Dear Natalia, dear all,
I’m appearing here for the account of the University Paris Lumières, a consortium of universities with Paris 8 and Paris 10 specialized in SSH and Arts. In this context, we try to participate to a consortium around the call Transformation-17 for Societal challenges and Arts. Our research structure Artec is ready to take part to this project : http://eur-artec.fr/. It’s a new research unit with many French researchers gathered in Paris around arts and societal transformations with an international dimension. Also, we work with different cultural partners in music, theatre and performing arts to build our proposal as partners.
Let me know if you are still interested to find new partners in your consortium.
Gwénaël Glâtre
Head of the European office at the University Paris Lumières
gwenael.glatre@u-plum.fr
http://www.u-plum.fr/

1 Like

The last precision I can add is concerning Yves Citton, the researcher that would be in charge of Artec’s scientific participation, his executive director : see Home -Yves Citton
Specialized in literature and media, he would propose to lead an investigation around “the arts of attention” and has a vast international network linked to this concept in research-action.
Please, let me know what you think of it, by e-mail if possible.
Best regards.

Hi. I read it.

I am missing an intuition about something “new” and interesting - something tied to some new development that is one the rise and can have implications in an area that someone (read: funding institution or specific public administration) cares about… ALOT.

There is something that can be built upon, where are you guys coordinating this?

Do you refer to Outsider Arts or performative arts proposal?
We will start developing the latter by Wednesday - i agree there is a lot to improve in the performative arts proposal and I started brainstorming about it with some performative artists and curators in Berlin over lunches I am hosting. We are waitimg for the documents from iETM where we can start adding the ideas.