Welcoming new Rebel Ethnographers

There is a benefit to having people post them under their own account – first, because of the way that SSNA works (because when we code the posts, the thoughts expressed in them are attributed to a unique participant). Second, when you create an account with someone, you then have the ability to follow up with them and invite them back onto the platform, and they don’t have to go through the process of creating a new account. As much as possible, it is good to have someone post under their own pseudonym, for the purpose of doing better analysis.

Your reflections on the style itself, however, we can definitely talk about/iron out in more detail!

1 Like

thanks for the summary @amelia! Personally, I think it could make sense to have funds to commission pieces to journalists later along the road. I think this could provide useful in gaining traction with regards to our ethnographic work in particular, and Edgeryders in general.

If we hire community journalists, we would also have to consider covering editorial tasks. Also, would be the idea be to publish the pieces on Edgeryders?

It is not completely clear to me, how the role of a community journalist would differ from that of a community manager, especially in the beginning.

1 Like

I’m not the person to ask about community journalism, I know not much more than you :slight_smile: We can keep talking as a group to figure it out.

May I suggest my dear friend Olga, who is a trained ethnographer, psychologist, a practitioning therapist and ardent local activist based in the Tricity?
She has already been interviewed during one of the recruitment processes within the project.

3 Likes

Edited based upon most recent conversation with @Jan and @Richard, and taking your feedback into account @Maniamana and @Djan. For now, we focus upon forming teams of field ethnographers + community managers + ethnographic coders – so finding 2 new community managers, one for Polish and one for Czech.

4 Likes

We are still in the organisational phase, but a couple of bullet points to define the following moments:

We will try to connect the project to the Worldbuilding Academy webinar that is happening on 9 March - here you can find more info and links, but long story short:
The “Project Witness” is an open source online space where people can participate in building imaginary, yet realistic social and economic systems arranged in different “districts”.
The general idea is to try to convey Czech, Polish and Serbian participants (through a competition maybe?) into producing stories based on the project, which in less than three thousand words:

• describe a personal experience of the social and economic system they live in,
  • put a spotlight on one, two or more contradictions regarding safety, health care, solidarity, distribution of wealth, etc
  • propose a plausible solution which figures out the consequences of a change
  • fit the possible inclusion or creation of a particular (Czech, Serbian, Polish) district in the Project Witness which other people can join and populate with more content

It could produce some deeper thinking over the topics. We want to root it strongly into reality and would very much appreciate your input on how to shape it, which particular questions to ask and which doors to open.

3 Likes

Thanks @Wojt,
Good timing, we are talking to a couple of people and I’m happy to see if Olga is a good fit.
Can you send me her contact, in private? noemi[at]edgeryders[dot]eu
I can do this on Monday!

1 Like

Hi, @noemi.

Done!

Wrote to Olga and invited her to a call to introduce ourselves proper and explore a collaboration,
Will keep you posted, thanks again!

2 Likes

Just an update end of the week: we have 2 calls scheduled for next week with candidates for community management (and possibly journalist stories).
Mania is part of this process, so we will keep you notified.

2 Likes

Awesome! @Jan may want to participate? I don’t know if @Maniamana has already discussed with him, if so my apologies :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t, apologies @Jan, I didn’t know I was supposed to ask you if Noemi didn’t already :smiley:

@amelia In addition to @ivan’s answer, I am planning an event Doing business in Czech Republic/Poland/Serbia. Each country should have its own event.

The goal is to gather small (and medium) business owners to discuss doing business in their country and to understand how they navigate through COVID-19 crisis and what are their expectations/plans for after the crisis. You can find more details on the link.

I think this event would be very interesting for the research as it combines COVID-19 crisis with work and employment topic.

The idea is to have present a host in the local language (ethnographer) and a community manager/journalist. Would that work for the @rebelethno team?

3 Likes

Great idea, I can reach out to my fellow entrepreneurs, some of whom have already voiced their opinions with some coverage in the press and other media. The issue is very topical here in Poland with the rise of civil disobedience in terms of small business compliance with Covid restrictions.

3 Likes

Hi @bojanbobic, for some reason I cannot access the link with more details.

It looks promising. What do you think, @Djan @jitka @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek @Jan
I hope to have a community manager for Poland by the time to help organize the event! It might take more time than what you suggest in your timeline though @bojanbobic :wink:

@jitka.kralova It was in the closed workspace. You should be able to access it now. @Maniamana I agree. This is a proposed timeline which takes more or less the whole process of event preparation. From previous experiences, to have a well visited and fruitful event, 3 week promotion is needed. Promotion is combined with community management.
So, if we manage to get everybody on board during the next week, we could still be on proposed time.

Please, feel free to comment and suggest in the event thread. Better to keep everything there regarding this event.

1 Like

@amelia and @bojanbobic - I am teaching at the Department of Journalism (in Olomouc, CZ) for several years now. If you give me a more detailed description of what a community journalist should do and what skills and time capacities should posses, I can give some tips on my past students, or find someone currently enrolled.

2 Likes

Hi @SZdenek
Thank you for reaching out and offering help. This was the open call for journalists from October Open call for journalists from the Czech Republic, Poland and Serbia
We are currently redefining this role so some changes to the original call will be introduced.
I have to discuss details with @noemi and I will inform you about that.
In any case, if you can propose some people we would like to get in touch with them!
Thanks again :slight_smile:

@Richard, could we use your zoom link again today?

@rebelethno, we will check in at 2pm UK/3PM CET again today — agenda will be the field ethnographers (with any assistance they need from me) filling everyone in on their work plan. I’ll give an update on our thoughts re timeline for adding new team members. Then we can discuss a plan for the coding/anyone who wants to give an update on coding status can jump in.

2 Likes