Why go from passive viewer to active contributor? A process with a purpose.

Hi everyone a status report from our outreach & engagement work for the past month

1. Visitors vs Signups: 59.4k visits / 32 signups
  2. Sign up vs Contribution rate: 32 signups / 12 new contributors
  3. New Visitors vs Returning visitors: 87.6% / 12.4%
  4. Organic Search vs Direct vs social Media: 20.83 % / 11.3 %
  5. Social Media Engagement vs Platform signup
    • Twitter: 98 Tweets / 512 clicks / 32 signups
    • Facebook: 48 Posts / 695 Clicks / 32 signups
    • Linkedin: 42 posts / 38 Clicks / 32 signups

How do we engage more of the visitors to signup and contribute to the conversations?

Itā€™s pretty easy to get people to engage in posts like the one of open source coffee sorter, because the benefits are immediate. But that kind of participation does not meet our goals for engaging people in deeper, more thoughtful conversations with one another around topics like care, wellbeing etc.

1. Link contribution to the right benefits

In edgeryders the value people get out of participation is meaningful interactions with others.
Because the value for the individual is co-created by generous interaction with others, this cannot be based on one-on-one transactional logic. Nor can it be custom made around each new for our work to be sustainable as we grow in diversity. This is what I see

A Process with a plan

Individual Benefits

• :speech_balloon: Find the right conversations
  • :open_book: Learn from othersā€™ experiences
  • :hammer_and_wrench: Co-create new projects and programs

2. Add prompt to action at the bottom of each post.

I believe that when a person has read a post, unless there is a clear prompt to action they are less likely to engage actively. So we need a way for a call to action to be visible reader follows a link from the newsletter, or the weekly summaries, on the page they land they get a call to action. So what should this prompt to action be?

1. This post is part of a conversation on ā€¦ depends on the project (e.g NGI and POPREBEL)
  2. What will come out of it isā€¦ **
  3. You access it by leaving a thoughtful comment

Any thoughts on how to best make this happen @matthias @hugi @alberto @noemi @MariaEuler @johncoate @lroddy @stefanoboski ?

3 Likes

My proposed solution for this would be to go back to the roots. We only have one guaranteed way of ensuring deep online participation, which is linking offline events to online engagement. Itā€™s the only methodology that we have any evidence for. Right now thatā€™s not possible, but itā€™s reasonably low risk to schedule some offline events for November now and start building engagement for them.

Another way to get more engagement is to find people with more engaging opinions and points of view to write on Edgeryders. On way that could work would be to have ā€œopen repliesā€ challenging popular Medium essays and Twitter threads posted on Edgeryders.

1 Like

Is there a way t look at the impact of the replacement online events such as the surveillance pandemic or the common precariat research listening session and compare how those fare in comparison to the irl events?

1 Like

What if you approached it the other way round? What if clusters could be the input? Engagement%20cycle

1 Like

I think the function of time here is important - the time you need to meet people, to keep on participating in the conversation, to get new ideas and benefit from the collective.

Short events like the ones you mention are basically 1 conversation with a limited number of people, and not much followup. Even if the topic is salient and there is more potential.

IRL events get you more time to scout larger nrs of participants, and to discover those who can really benefit from the conversation. Better relationships in our community are really the key to more things happening.

About impact: weā€™ve seen that IRL events organised openly and collectively through sequenced activities brought:

• deeper conversations, but also which were contextualized in very different ways (community health and social care is the best example I have).
  • sociality and learning: testimonials from participants
  • new collaborative project proposals (Horizon 2020 applications)
  • new collaborations (ex: Tunisian cluster)

Iā€™m with @Hugi here for the simple reason that IRL meetings are I believe richer in immediate benefits for participants. Itā€™s just a better offer.

That said, I see edgeryders as vibrant in conversations this year as in other years - the only question is: are the relationships as strong and conducive to things good for edgeryders as a wholeā€¦? or not? Weā€™re only half way though,ā€¦ so it could be that all this differently paced preparation for an online summit will pay off nicely, as we will learn of new things that get people excited about online events!

• I think here we could add Support for your project in a custom session - you curate it and Edgeryders coordinates participation from peers around the globe.
2 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m not fully aware of everything that EdgeRyders does, so excuse me if you have some of these already in place.

Iā€™m just having a look at the stats. The 32 signups and 12 new contributors figure is the one Iā€™d be focused on first. Itā€™s a pretty high ratio. One in every 2.6 sign ups is contributing to conversations on here. Iā€™d focus on encouraging the 20 remainder to contribute too. They are already interested in EdgeRyders and have signed up. It took a bit of time to do that from their day. Iā€™d try and get them involved. Whatā€™s stopping them from engaging? Are they cautious, are they really busy with other commitments in their life?

Iā€™m taking an example from a community newspaper I subscribed to recently. I got a welcome email from the editor, explaining what the newspaper was aiming to do and how it operates (on a subscription basis. It is completely dependendant on the community it provides the service for, not taking advertisinig to remain independent). The email encouraged me to get in contact the editor if I had any story ideas or would like something covered by the publication. She left her contact number at the end. It was very personable and almost intimate.

In the context of EdgeRyders, if I was perhaps cautious in contributing to the site, an email like that would abate any fears Iā€™d have, and encourage me to contribute. I know some of the community managers directly message through the platform, could you send it to individualsā€™ emails? EdgeRyders is based on community and a welcome email that explains what the organisation is doing, how it aims to do it, would be a good.

The email could show the person who signs up, how important they are to this ecosystem. For those who are busy (and a little impatient) Iā€™d showcase some of the outcomes that have taken place from participaton on the platform. Some people are more visual so a link to a website or a photograph of a previous project could work.

If you look at the social media engagement too - 512 clicks from Twitter, and 695 from Facebook are very high volumes of people. Would you be interested in doing ā€˜call to actionā€™ pieces on social media and a few explainers on what EdgeRyders does and why people should get involved. Social media could be a place where you put more focus on outcomes. Perhaps direct to a page that explains what EdgeRyders does, explans how the process works and details some of the outcomes to give an overview. Then also encourage people to sign up and join in the conversation.

From the data can you see if people are more likely to sign up when they visit on a desktop or a mobile? Sometimes that can give you an idea on user experience etc.

Thanks,
Laura

4 Likes

I think it makes sense to

1. Make a page about what edgeryders does and how to get involved
  2. Do the call to action pieces for social media

I need your help to do both

1. The Page about what we do and how to get involved. We have the source materials but need to put them together into a succinct description

A 2hr process of online activities that accelerates offline activitiesā€¦

Discussion & Co-creation

The EdgeRyders events process begins when an idea or solution is posted on the platform, sparking discussion among community members. Some join in, actively listening, asking questions or giving thoughtful responses. (This is a safe place and not for debating opinions or speaking for others.)

The discussion begins with first hand accounts of attempts taken to solve societal issues and moves to navigating the personal challenges experienced by members. Nuances and the various different contexts surrounding these challenges begins to show.

• Listening sessions around key issues.
  • Webinars to present and discuss case studies.
  • Special P2P support sessions dedicated to individual members projects
  • Online co-creation workshops to design and plan joint actions.
  • Online hackathons and adaptathons to accelerate existing initiatives through technical support

Information analysis & Action

Next open source technology is used to make connections between topics being discussed, the people discussing them, places, projects, solutions and struggles. When we put this together, patterns start to emerge that help join these ideas and people to each other and to other information, skill and resources.

By the end of the process, our community members have gained a richer knowledge and understanding of the issue they wish to tackle and have a blueprint to put their idea into action.

• Preparation: Collecting and discussing case studies, preparing initiatives for the hackathon, Pre-event introductions and networking
  • During the event: Rigorous documentation, definition of a list of follow up action points with clear allocation of roles and responsibilities, open participatory budgeting for the activities.
  • Follow up: Rapid deployment of the actions (1 week cycles), followed by open participatory evaluation and codesign of next cycle based on lessons learned.
2 Likes

Okay Nadia, happy to do this. I have time to work on it next week.

1 Like

ypu may also find this useful: https://edgeryders.eu/t/the-edgeryders-story/13440

1 Like