Community Call Notes 2014-08-07

Points we covered in today’s call with @Noemi, @Ben, @JamesL, @Matthias, @Alberto, @Hazem & @elf Pavlik:

1. Recruit team coordinators for each team building the Lote4 event this fall, why?

Because Edgeryders work best distributedly and in a decentralized fashion, and things only happen when more people take responsibility to lead various things. We’re looking for two coordinators in each team who are up for assigning tasks and keeping in close touch with members, while participating in the weekly hangouts to brainstorm ideas and build cross-team collaboration with other Edgeryders.

New team: Hackathon organisation which will be coordinated by James. Tasks for this team are coming up in the next few days, but you can join early on! Needs help with: someone who is good at documenting stuff and posting it online, making a schedule for things and project management.

Agenda for Lote: it’s August already and our major challenge is to deepen the conversation and build a programme around a more narrow understanding of what we mean by Stewardship; too general now and we need to look at engaging examples and stories to shape it. We need a good curator/editor to pull together content for the blog around the theme of stewardship weekly. example: http://www.shareable.net/users/jeffrey-andreoni

2. The Case Study Adventure led by Ben and Lauren is starting. They have an itinerary to surface hidden knowledge about stewardship and clarify what people in various corners of Europe understand or assume by stewarding. What they currently need is local hosts who can take care of organising their stay, help plan meetings.

@Inge is coordinating this in terms of social media and event planning from distance.

• actionable: Post calling for Local Stewards to step up and join the adventure.
  1. The Lote4 hackathon: how we prepare - start by collecting stories about each project, identifying project owners who have interesting projects they want to bring, getting story from them, helping write it up in well formed way and then converting it into actionable tasks. Roles: Storyteller- works with project owner to get concise story.
  • actionable: James to write a post detailing the various themes we came up with and calling for the community members to reach out to their own networks to scout for early stage projects which could be part of it.

notes from the hangout chat:

Noemi Salantiu
10:53
Team coordinators; once call is launched ping everyone in the team

me
1. Ping all members of each team with link to blogpost calling for coordinators

Ben Vickers joined group chat.

Ben Vickers
sorry
okay
in a hotel lobby
let me see if i can switch
carry on
and i'll take a wander
key poitns
logistics
we don't know where all the meetups should take place

Alberto Cottica joined group chat.

Ben Vickers
10:55
we need 'hosts' or 'stewards' in each city
to help out
basically
the 3 points in the maillout doc
kk now i find another location to sit in this hotel

me
10:56
Points to cover today: 1. Coordinators 2. The Case study adventure
3. Speaking grants: Talk about Matera Civic innovation (including the unMonastery) at conferences elsewhere in Europe/WORLD

Ben Vickers
11:01
we need sessions

me
11:01
5. SESSION PROPOSALS

Ben Vickers
11:02
it's august >__<
Content:
1. we need a good curator/editor to pull together content for the blog around the theme of stewardship
weekly

James Lewis joined group chat.

Alberto Cottica
11:08
Hello James and Elf!

me
11:08
Curatorial Writing: Jeff
Points to cover today: 1. Coordinators 2. The Case study adventure
  1. Speaking grants: Talk about Matera Civic innovation (including the unMonastery) at conferences elsewhere in Europe/WORLD 4. Session Proposals 5. Curatorial writing for blog

Noemi Salantiu
11:09
The Hackathon organisation team page is up: https://edgeryders.eu/task-3605
we need to add there a list of concrete tasks

Hazem Adel joined group chat.

me
11:11
1. Coordinators 2. The Case study adventure
  1. Speaking grants: Talk about Matera Civic innovation (including the unMonastery) at conferences elsewhere in Europe/WORLD 4. Session Proposals 5. Curatorial writing for blog

Alberto Cottica
Hello Hazem

Hazem Adel
hello

Alberto Cottica
11:12
YEs!
They are great

Noemi Salantiu
11:12
This is presumably the entry point for people who want to get involved in building the event

me
11:15
Natalia: coordinator for social media team, venue and logsitical coordination

Alberto Cottica
11:15
Hazem, will you still be in BErlin in October?

Hazem Adel
11:16
still have to resolve some visa issues ....... will know in the next 2 weeks

Noemi Salantiu
11:16
cool!

Hazem Adel
11:17
I am up to help in building LOTE 4 , just need to know where I can be most useful

Alberto Cottica
11:18
Very good point

me
11:19
James: coordinator for hackathon.: needed: places for people to coordinate. Needs help with: someone who is good at documenting stuuff and posting it online, making a schedule for things and project management.

Alberto Cottica
11:19
Can we swing that? Maybe from LOTE4 coordination?

Noemi Salantiu
11:20
very bad audio:(

Alberto Cottica
Yes, definitely bandwidth

Noemi Salantiu
better

me
Better
can you say it again James, I didn't hear

Ben Vickers
11:22
1. finding early stage projects

me
11:22
Hackathon: 1. Continuation of converesation where we started to talk about how we prepare: collecting stories about each project, identifying project owners who have interesting oprojects they want to bring, getting story from them, helping write it up in well formed way and then converting it into actionable tasks.
Roles: Storyteller- works with project owner to get concise story, Analyst- tres to construct set of tasks

Noemi Salantiu
11:23
Do we have any projects applications in? the hackathon call invites email submisisons

Matthias Ansorg joined group chat.

Noemi Salantiu
11:24
How to find those early stage projects?

me
Check now James

James Lewis
got it

Hazem Adel
can't access the file also

me
Ben!

Ben Vickers
you can't hear me?
okay

me
11:25
you're muted

Ben Vickers
that doesn't make sense
kk
i will rejoin

Ben Vickers left group chat.

me
Inge Snip

Ben Vickers
11:29
james
remy is working on a hackathon in matera
around the same time
he's looking for a way to bring it into LOTE
i think it would be good to team up with him

me
11:30
Ben, invite him to join the team?

Ben Vickers
11:30
kk doing it now

Hazem Adel
11:31
I can help with the documentation and with the platform stuff James

me
11:32
Ben: how are we approaching bringing in projects into the hackathon. Are they completely new? What do I tell people when they approach me about the hackathon?
James: The main thing is we need to have a very clear theme (the event), and then people can bring in whatever

me
11:35
James: to begin with, collect as many people and projects as possible, then iterative process we will identify projects that are feasible to work on and have support (pre-co0mmnitment of people to work on). Initatially attract more rather than filter down initial filtering phase.
Alberto: alot of orientation happens online on the platform before the event. program has slots , click on it and propose description. What this means 1) proponent is expected to lead: show up having software downloaded on your comuter etc, someone drives this 2) People who dont have project have had chance to look at what will be done before the fact, sign up and that emans they know where to go.
This sames time and makes work smoother because you show up and 10 mins later are working on something

Alberto Cottica
11:38
Well, that's the usual community management stuff.

me
What improvements do we need to make to the prgram page to make it friendly/supporting of harmonious hackathon? https://edgeryders.eu/program

Alberto Cottica
90& of it is insisting that people WRITE on the goddamn platform or wiki.
I can help you with that stuff
If that is what you mean by "organization"

me
11:40
Dates of hackathon: October 15-23
week before lote4
And description of theme

Alberto Cottica
11:40
Anything that helps stewaring?

me
11:42
Themes for hackathon: 1. Anything that can help people maintain and fight entropy in open source projects. Stuff breaks down continuously, how do we take preassure off on people who doe this kind of work on Wikipedia, open street map, edgeyrdes. Code breaks down

Alberto Cottica
11:43
Sorry, got to log off now. Anyhow, James, I am happy to lend a hand in the online preparation part, whatever theme you choose.

James Lewis left group chat.

Alberto Cottica left group chat.

me
11:44
2. Overlap hackathon: rther than getting people that want to build something new, finding existing tools and methods and modify them: hackathon around repurposing of existing tech. Another example is detroit water brigade: platform for localised community mutual aid platform.

Ben Vickers
11:45
tech + social, targeted at mutual aid / support networks

me
11:47
3. Matthias: mutual support but also about managing what we have, skills/productive capacity..thinking about Juanjo st james way with hackerspaces are connected and each has it's organisation...it could benefit from tool not just for guest managemet, but that manages supporting each other but with some specific resource. E.g. once space good at creating car repairs, others can do something else...

James Lewis joined group chat.

James Lewis
11:48
sorry, lost connection after Alberto was suggesting a theme
Hazem, if you stay in Berlin - let's meet in next days! - elf

Hazem Adel
11:50
cool , r u going to the crisis camp hacking ? we could meet there @james

James Lewis
11:50
yes, we'll be there

me
11:51
Call: contribute your idea for a hackathon theme. Makes sense to write a blogpost suggesting themes for the hackathon to get the conversation going

Hazem Adel
11:51
i think people with already on going project .... they might even propose a theme

me
11:56
meetup scheuldehttps://edgeryders.eu/stewardship-meetup-schedule