EU call for building a social innovation community (potentially good fit)

UPDATE December 2014: Talking left and right we realised we need to either find a lead partner with administrative and financial capacity to form a consortium around it, or to join an existing consortium that is being formed as we speak. We’re still in talks with several organisations testing waters until January 2015. Stay tuned.

Browsing through this year’s opening calls in Horizon 2020 I found the following which aims to build cooperation and “network of networks” in the field of social innovation. We’ve been keeping an eye on this from earlier this year, and given our enthusiasm for running with many more Harmonious Hackathons, might be a good fit.

Pillar: Societal challenges

Topic: New forms of innovation

Opening date: 10 Dec 2014

Deadline: 28 May 2015

Description Specific Challenge: The specific challenge of this activity is to stimulate and support the establishment of a ‘Social Innovation Community’ of researchers, social innovators, end users (citizens) and policy-makers. Since the launch of the Innovation Union Flagship initiative in 2010, many actions have developed in the area of social innovation involving research and “hands on” innovation. However many related actions in the field may appear disconnected and not fully exploit the possibilities offered by more effective communication and dissemination means. This could limit the policy uptake of research results. What is needed is to better link research to practice, develop joint methods and concepts in the area of social innovation research and provide a common space for gathering evidence and identifying new areas for social innovation take up in various fields.

Type of action: coordination and support

Funding: 13 670 000 eur total (“The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of EUR 3 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.”)

Proposal idea: “The Harmonious Innovation Network” (tentative title)

More often than not, social innovation springing from the grassroots is isolated, risky and even thankless work. The project will connect key individuals and groups driving change in their local communities and harness the knowledge in a global, open platform, making it free and accessible to all. Its two interlinked components, the offline and the online, will feed into each other to enable generative exchanges between individual participants and between citizenry and research and developmental policy scene.

The three year project activities are designed around the Network’s core collaboration engine: a series of Harmonious Hackathons (HaHo), collaboratively driven events that facilitate p2p, mutual support around individual projects in a quality food provision and co-living environment. Rather than being isolated, local, short term sprints, the series will be developed as part of a bigger conversation enabling local themes to emerge and initiatives to contribute back to the global community. This builds continuity across all events in each country involved, preserves the local specifics while creating a shared pool of knowledge at European level and beyond.

Big goals:

• create an open infrastructure for networked local experimentation, incubation, growth and replication of social good projects
  • ensure an effective offline-online interface between local initiatives and a global, ever evolving pool of knowledge where their specificities would be well documented
  • build collaboration between “innovation leaders” and “modest innovators”, between technically skilled people and non-technical people, between citizens and policy makers

Activities

Launching conversation through editorialized content 

We will commission a number of articles that land somewhere between innovation research and curatorial writing. The purpose of each article is to:

1. Collect, validate and harmonise participants state of the arts knowledge around key themes to challenge our collective intelligence and capacity for problem solving
  2. Engage in the conversation people and projects already doing relevant work and that we could support and be supported by in the harmonious hackathons.
  3. Build support and engagement in the project from a wide range of stakeholders.

The pieces are commissioned by Edgeryders as our direct contribution towards getting the conversation and collaboration going. The commissioned editorial posts will be edited and published in an interactive digital publication.

Online engagement and PR campaign

The posts produced will be published on Edgeryders.eu and translated for higher accessibility, then pushed out on partner organisations social media channels including mailing lists. The various partners help ensure the editorial posts find their way to relevant private and public sector actors, as well as the press. Edgeryders coordinates all online engagement, community building and dissemination activities for the project. Please refer to our methodological guide for designers and managers of policy oriented online communities for more detailed information about design and implementation methodology.

Harmonious Hackathons

We propose a series of harmonious hackathons in each partner city around one or more of the themes emergent from the online engagement process. A Harmonious Hackathon is like a hackathon, but with a lot of careful preparatory work done to ensure each participant leaves feeling their time has been well spent and that the projects worked on have made significant progress. Their purpose is to harness p2p support towards strengthening the resilience of projects and people experimenting with creative responses to systemic crises: social, ecological, economic and or political.

Harmonious Hackathons are not to be seen as a sudden burst of energy for a few days but a process that happens over months. A kind of p2p infrastructure to bring together people and projects with shared values and help them step up the game to make more impact.

The Harmonious Hackathon is female friendly, beginner friendly and perfect for collaborating on meaningful projects with interesting people from all over the world. Organisers provide calm, comfortable and beautiful working environments for participants with great food in spectacular locations.

Network weaving at larger events

Members of the network will run a number of sessions and organise activities at other events such as barcamps, community summits and conferences. This serves to disseminate ongoing work and groundbreaking hacks, as well as build bridges between people in different networks and communities.

An annual Living On The Edge event

A mix of talks and more hands on experiences presenting the insights and questions that have emerged from the various activities. The focus of the annual event is to build dedicated communities of practice around project prototypes, further development and replication.

Increasing the impact: a digital publication and mobile participatory exhibition

With local communities or discipline based communities there is rarely ever time or resources to synthesize knowledge and make it more accessible to people who do not belong to the in-group or are not knowledgeable about practices, language and topics. This is not about just about packaging and making something visible so then they will come. This is about actively seeking out people where they are and collaboratively working together to produce knowledge artefacts that help bridge gaps in perspective, are useful and generative as seen from perspective of social innovators and their stakeholders.

What are major strengths that can be highlighted in the proposal?

• Edgeryders as an established, well reputed collaboration environment: building infrastructure through dynamic ideation, prototype building, testing, replication; track record for linking research to "street" practice by bringing together citizen experts.
  • The ability of HaHo to tackle deep local challenges in continuous knowledge exchanges rather than self referential, isolated initiatives

add more…

Who would be involved (not official, open list…)

Organisations, universities or municipalities of cities in Europe:

in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

Fondazione Matera-Basilicata 2019 (Italy)

Pracownia Miejska (Konin, Poland)

Ynternet.org (Geneva, Switzerland)

Nadia is exploring possible partnerships in Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands and Sweden.

Coordinating partner

Edgeryders LBG

Leading partner??

This is all in very early stage (merely documenting requirements and see how to improve on the idea…) If you want to get involved in this and/ or have an idea for other partners, get in touch in a comment below, thanks!   

Swiss partner on Harmonious Hackathons

Dear Noemi, everyone,

I find this an excellent idea for a proposal.

I would like to personally contribute to drafting this call and. at the same time, propose a Swiss associated partner to participate (Ynternet.org). This partner would be equally described in the proposal but, in case of it being successful, will be funded directly from the Swiss research agency and not the EU. This means that we could add Geneva (base of Ynternet.org) and Lausanne, as well as universities and research institutions in these areas. as Harmonious Hackathons places and events.

In terms of focus areas I would propose:

• Collaborative bookmarking methodologies and practices for the documentation of research and “hands on” innovation, as an answer to the “effective communication and dissemination means” challenge in the call description.

Thanasis

1 Like

Thanasis think they can be lead partner?

Hi Thanasis,

we need a lead partner to be able to move forward with this. Think the Swiss crowd might be interested? Or perhaps you know of others who might be?

Activities and themes

Proposed Activities

Series of 30 editorial posts

We will commission a number of articles that land somewhere between design research and curatorial writing. The purpose of each article is to:

1. Collecting, validating and haromise participants state of the arts knowledge around key themes is a first step in engaging our collective intelligence and capacity for problem solving
  2. Engage in the conversation people and projects already doing relevant work and that we could support and be supported by in the harmonious hackathons.
  3. Build support and engagement in the project from a wide range of stakeholders.

The pieces are commissioned by Edgeryders as our direct contribution towards getting the conversation and collaboration going. The commissioned editorial posts will be edited and published in an interactive digital publication.

Online engagement and PR

The posts produced will be published on Edgeryders.eu and pushed out on partner organisations social media channels including mailing lists.  The various partners help ensure the editorial posts find their way to relevant private and public sector actors as well as the press. Edgeryders coordinates all online engagement, community building and dissemination activities for the project. Please refer to our methodological guide for designers and managers of policy oriented online communities for more detailed information about design and implementation methodology.

Harmonious Hackathons

We propose a series of harmonious hackathons around one or more of the themes emergent from the online engagement process.

A new format for events that work for people with existing projects who want to get things done. We are prototyping a format that combines the best of what we love about lote and #improving relaity events and the countless hackathons, barcamps, festivals, unconferences and workshops we have attended.

A Harmonious Hackathon is like a hackathon, but with a lot of careful preparatory work done to ensure each participant leaves feeling their time has been well spent and that the projects worked on have made significant progress. Their purpose is to harness p2p support towards strengthening the resilience of projects and people experimenting with creative responses to systemic crises: socialecological, economic and or political.

Harmonious Hackathons are not to be seen as a sudden burst of energy for a few days but a process that happens over months. A kind of p2p infrastructure to bring together people and projects with shared values and help us all step up our game to make more impact.

The Harmonious Hackathon is female friendly, beginner friendly and perfect for collaborating on meaningful projects with interesting people from all over the world. Organisers provide calm, comfortable and beautiful working environments for participants with great food in spectacular locations.

Network weaving at larger events

We run a number of sessions and organise activities at other events such as barcamps, community summits and conferences. participants with great food in spectacular locations. This serves to build bridges between people in different networks and communities.

An annual \#LOTE

A mix of talks and more hands on experiences presenting the insights and questions that have emerged from the various activities.

A digital publication and mobile participatory exhibition

With these communitis there is rarely ever time or resources to synthesise knowledge and make it more accessible to people who do not belong to the ingroup or are not knowlegeable about practices, language and topics. This is not about just about packaging and making something visible then they will come. This is about actively seeking out people where they are and collaboratively working together to produce knowledge artefacts that help bridge gaps in persepctive, are useful and generative as seen from perspective of social innovators and their stakeholders.

2 Likes

would like to contribute!

Not sure what would be the most helpful.

1 Like

it’s a lot of money

“The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of EUR 3 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately”

I’m not sure if this means they want €3m per proposal, or €3m total. We would presumably need to request a MUCH smaller amount of money than €3 million. Not only is it too much for ER to absorb, but we’d probably be too small/new to pass the EU’s due diligence on such a large tender.

If we put in a much smaller bid, then we might get rejected on that basis. Does anybody have contacts with experience in this world?

The ideal, in terms of chances of winning, would perhaps be for us to be a minor partner in a larger bid?

You’re right about the amount

Surely we wouldn’t bid for 3 mil :slight_smile: but I don’t know about chances going up or down depending on the amount you request. This is first on my list of questions as I’m meeting a friend next week who’s experienced with Horizon 2020.

@Matthias do you remember when you submitted the proposal on ICT how was the overall budget framed and how much did you apply for with your project? just to get an idea…

@Thanasis, @mariabyck thanks both, will come back to you as soon as I have more info.

Applied for ~60k EUR

We applied for ~60k EUR, and here’s the old application document from that (it’s shared with you). However, we never sent that application in for reasons I don’t really know. Doesn’t matter as it morphed into the Open Ethnographer project, which got funded.

It won’t really help for getting an idea about EU budgets though, since it’s meant as a 3 million EUR contract for a consortium as Alberto said. 'Bit too much to chew right now. For comparison, the EU Horizon 2020 SMEInst Phase 1 (“small and medium enterprises instrument”) to which we submitted the original Open Ethnographer application is about 23 million EUR per year, split into ca. 500 grants of 50 000 EUR each. But that’s the smallest contracts that EU Commission does, and even that is a novum introduced with H2020.

This is for a consortium, not a single org!

Edgeryders can be at most a non-leading partner. Managing EU money is difficult, and I don’t recommend ER even tries to chew 3M. We could run some activities, as advised by Nadia above, for maybe 300K over 2 years, or even better 3.

We could run this past @Lord_Protector_of_Europe for advice and orienteering; or ask @albertomz, this is right up his street.

I am in conversation with the research department of the Young Foundation. We are discussing another project, but nothing is stopping us from making further contact. @Noemi, shall I put you in contact with them?

1 Like

+ Matera

… and of course Matera. The ECOC 2019 would give a nice extra polish to the proposal :slight_smile:

Sure

Any advice would help, so go ahead and make the contact.

So if we can’t be leading partner, who should be? Is MT2019 a good fit? Or the Young Foundation? The better we know the organisation the easier will be to work together, especially because we’d be the ones eventually writing the core of the proposal… no?

Not sure

Definitely not Matera. I can mention this to YF, we are talking to their research director.

But it looks like we would need some more intel. Let’s talk to Filippo, he can tell us who to talk to.

I would prefer not dealing with Materan administration practices

Also it would be good to start a relationship with the Young foundation. Plus Filippo is in Brussels all the time and his input would be very useful for this and other applications. My two cents.

ground work

Doing all the ground work online will exclude a large chunk of local citizens from the preparatory work, and therefore alienate them from the event itself. It seems to me that combining the slow processes of unMonastery to establish a connection with a community, and organise the harmonious hackathon events building on the established relationships would produce a more robust and believable plan to actually reach people. If MT2019 is involved somehow, this grant could contribute to funding the re-opening of unMonastery in Matera, which would be great. What do you think?

we are not tying the harmonious hackathons to Matera

The activities are ones we decided were needed regardless of what happens with the venue in Matera. If a sustainability plan is developed by the crowd that wants to keep the building running then there is no reason why we cannot decide to do one or more there. What we can do is add a budget and set of activities in the proposal so that then those who are so inclined can do the local outreach work provided they commit to effectively bridging online and offline. Want to contribute this to the proposal?

Harmonious Hackathons / Sheffield

Hi All,

Certainly the Harmonious Hackathon is a format (though not necessarly a NAME) that I’d be keen to explore further. Here in Sheffield there have been a LOT of signiifcant (and life-changing) developments and I think I’m starting to see the shape of (and implement) a local response to the crises we’re experiencing. It’s a lot more to do with small-scale, sustainable, specific and local responses, and a lot less to do with “best practices”. We must find a way to help people to unlock the opportunities inherent in their SPECIFIC situation - not work on the idea that there’s a template for success.

I’ll be out of contact for a couple of weeks - there are unexpected events which I need to repond to - but please do keep me informed with progress on this track.

Best regards,

James

Support this (with a caveat)

This makes eminent sense. It is also a simple way to give Matera – which is, after all, an actual city – a role in the consortium.

The caveat: I insist that Edgeryders should not get involved in anything that can be interpreted as an excuse for not making the effort to go online. I am just back from Basilicata, where an NGO I am on the board of organized the largest initiative on digital culture ever held in Italy – 148 local events with 15,000 participants. Basilicata wants to be digital, and needs to. Nothing wrong with gathering offline data, and certainly with getting people together in a physical space: but all data must be put online, in the spirit of LOTE4’s documentation; the center of the project must firmly stay online; and people of Basilicata should be encouraged to build up their confidence in interacting online. At this point this is also official regional policy; president Pittella is planning significant investments on digital literacy (as in programming, not as in using Whatsapp) for all ages.

1 Like

yes

Yes. I think it would be great to combine the Mapping the Commons toolset into a sort of methodology for unMonastery, which can assist developmental innovation (such as unTransit) to target issues that are perceived as critical by local people by conducting interviews on the ground, and also come up with “let’s make it together” activities which extend it to skill sharing and so make it empowering. Kind of a padding around the actual hackathon.

I don’t have numbers at hand, but I would say, 4 months of expenses for 2 people (8 months total) to stay at the unMonastery in exchange for conducting the offline research, in the forms of interviews, required conditions: summary of each interview (and if people allow, full material) published online, and a longer analysis of method and findings, at the end; involve local initiatives; together design (and write up) workshop(s) or other activities that would embed the outcome of the HaHa in the local community and write a report on the workshop outcomes in the end.

@mariabyck, @Lucia, @Bezdomny what do you think?

1 Like

Updated the wiki with hopefully all insights in this thread

Thanks everyone,

I don’t see why we can’t take both the lessons from the unMonastery and the lessons from Edgeryders as an effective online-offline interface and build an integrated approach. I think the strength in a proposal like this is that you can actually do both, that’s why you have local partners and local hackathons with themes emerging based on specifics, and then you have a platform to network those. Plus, the assumption is you have resources to bridge the online and offline elegantly, exactly like Nadia said above, without dragging people in spaces where they don’t want to (“I hate documenting or engaging online”) or don’t have the resources to be in (“I can’t afford traveling to Matera to see the unMonastery, but I’m very interested in the model”).

On a side note, keep in mind that this is just one potential call (maybe you know of others?) and we are now looking for a lead, trustworthy partner with capacity to manage the 3mil amount (give or take). Otherwise we drop it I guess. @Natalia_Skoczylas, @Nadia and myself are all looking for calls that suit the general idea, then as we build teams we can tweak each in much detail.

Thanks again for the insights!

1 Like

Highly Interested

Hey guys,

I just try to check out who’s willing to apply for the Call “Social Innovation Community” and just found your site. Although I’m not yet so much into it how this site works, I want to show my interest in what’s goint on here regarding this call. We - the future lab - a regional organisation based in Tyrol (Austria) are trying to set up an SI-friendly ecosystem in Tyrol and are highly interested in cooperation in that matter. Somebody of the Commission last week in Brussels drew my attention to that call, so I’m looking now what’s going in that matter. Altough we cannot be leadpartner in that I want to put us forward as a possible participating organisation…

Would be great if somebody could get back to my post…

All the best,

Lukas

1 Like