We are excited to finally announce Living On The Edge #3, our third whole-community scale event. Two important things have happened since LOTE2:
- Edgeryders is now a social enterprise! We may be the first case ever of a spinoff from a public sector online project – at least, we are not aware of any other. We have already explained why we are doing this, and how this can benefit the whole community. We still think it is worth doing, and we are moving forward. More on Edgeryders-the-company is forthcoming.
- The first project from the Edgeryders community is also moving forward. UnMonastery Matera is officially set to open later in the year or early in 2014.
It just makes sense for us all to get together and work out how to have many more projects like the unMonastery in 2014. We’ll do it in the unMonastery building itself – it is breathtaking, and as egderyders-y as can be. It will happen on October 29th - November 3rd 2013. Trust me – you want to save the date. We will even have an epic Halloween party in the unMonastery!
The unMonastery moved from concept idea to planning and ongoing execution in less than one year. Ben did it, so chances are you can do it too – with a little luck and a lot of help from the rest of the community. LOTE3 is where we all tool up and skill up to do so. We will build the Edgeryders Guide to Making Projects Happen, with documentation on what is working for some of us, what knowledge and skillsets need to be deployed in what situation, what organisational resources are there for the community.
Here’s what you can do to make this happen.
- make a commitment to coming – and do it now. Right away. We are not a publicly funded project anymore: we (meaning Edgeryders-the-company and the unMonastery group) think we can fund the conference, but we need something to stand on as we do the fundraising. And this something is a vibrant, radical, skilled, innovative community that wants to get together. We want to tell funders and clients that we are going to do this thing anyway, and that they’d better get on board. For this to happen, we need to know you are coming. So here’s the deal: we will try to raise funding to pay for people to travel to Matera. The first people to be funded will be those who first committed to coming! Worst case scenario, even if we don’t succeed, it will be cheaper than staying at home: it’s just a RyanAir flight to Bari and inexpensive accommodation. See who else is coming.
- get involved into fleshing out the program. We’ll build it together: for now, we want you to write us a paragraph about what you would like to do, discuss or learn about in LOTE3.
- join our volunteers. Whatever you are passionate about doing, we can use it.
All of these things you can do in one go: just visit your user profile, click “Edit Profile” & fill in the LOTE-relevant info. If you don’t have an Edgeryders account yet, just create one and you’ll be able to do that right on signup. Just do it. We’ll be in touch soon after.