Run a Facebook campaign for Spot the Future in Armenia

Our major entry point into the community of grassroots hackers, changemakers and innovators in Armenia is @Vahagn's network and existing UNDP Armenia contacts at the moment. We would like to add some similar entry points, so that we can get in touch with more “edgy” people from Armenia through them. For the time being, the Edgeryders way of “traversing the social graph” is limited by the number of entry points in Armenia …

So, a proposal that @Alberto and I like is using a Facebook campaign (paid ads) for drawing the grassroots changemakers’ attention to the Edgeryders platform and learning about their stories, projects, and connections to other changemakers we don’t know yet. This would go hand in hand with the upcoming Twitterstorm and other publicity work for the upcoming conference in June.

1 Like

Something for Said?

@saidhamideh, would you be up for running this campaign? Vahagn can help you with Armenian translations, and I can help you with any tech and setup needs.

I have some experience with setting up cost-efficient and targeted Facebook ad campaigns myself, and can also provide tech solutions for campaign monitoring (so, configuring the edgeryders.eu web analytics for that). However, I don’t have the experience or time for running such a social media campaign myself … can you help out, Said? If so, just assign this task to yourself, and let’s coordinate to get it all done :slight_smile:

Said!

+1 to the idea of @saidhamideh running this. It would be a great learning experience from everyone: what do we get if we throw a little money at Mr. Zuckerberg?

Matt, what sort of money would we be investing?

Let’s start with 250 EUR

'bout money, it’s hard to say. For comparison, you get up to 4-5x more clicks per buck than with AdSense, but the ROI can also be vastly different (I expect it to be better than for the disappointing sales-oriented campaign I did run once – since our offer is free). But me thinks, after 200 - 300 EUR going into different experiments, we will know if it is worth trodding down that road or not.

That said, it’s 250 EUR in ad value. Which we can get for 25 - 50 EUR cash value if the technique that I found once still works :slight_smile:

sounds good. let me digest and feedback tomorrow

Hi,

I just saw this message, somehow missed it, was on travels.

I can help with translations of Armenian texts if we manage to have them all in one place to make it possible without having to look for them. That would be a great technical help. So,  a google doc would be good enough, with existing English texts or with themes / main directions which  have to follow in order to generate the texts for the campaign. And I’d prefer to stick on one single file with everything on it, and a link on an easily accessible place.

Does this sound ok dear @matthias and @saidhamideh ?

Hello

Please fill free to ask me for a help. I can help with FB stuff .

Thanks!

Thank you @Hovhannes Aghajanyan, that’s very generous! We would definitely welcome advice from someone with first-hand knowledge of Facebook in the country. I strongly suggest @saidhamideh gets in touch with you very soon – we don’t have much time now!

thanks for offering help, @hovhannes aghajanyan. if you speak Armenian, then it would be great if you could help me cull a list of edgy, yet decently trafficked FB pages that Armenians might be liking on FB. that would be tremendous for now. this list sorts them in order of popularity, so you might have to scroll down way past the first few pages. :wink:

optimizing ad campaign over weekend, launching ad campaign by monday

ok

Please let me know what to start with @saidhamideh.

quick hangout? or what’s your preferred chat? i just want to get some background info then i’ll repost here

skype would work the best I guess

or even a short talk here, but tomorrow, at morning, like from 11am CET, if it’s fine for you @saidhamideh

lets start with

an ad that takes people to the Tbilisi conference call to action?

Let me know if you want some help with it :slight_smile:

@saidhamideh and @Vahagn let me know if you need some help with it :slight_smile:

hey doro! as soon as we get a chat going, I’ll let you know where it is. we’re going to have a little fun with Facebook Ad Manager, and doing research on Armenian Facebook Pages that are liked by the type of people our ad should target.

1 Like

sounds like fun :slight_smile:

sounds like fun , I’ll try to join your chat :slight_smile:

putting off chat for now. coordination is in this thread. :slight_smile:

let’s just keep it going here because 11AM doesn’t work

im in the US, so that’s 4am for me.

First thing I need Vahagn. Can you comb through this list and tell me if any of these fb pages might deal with a topic thats squarely related to our target audience’s interest? Perhaps something related to the following themes: social innovation, resilience, entrepreneurship, collaboration, etc.

a couple other things

once we’re ready to pay Mr. Zuckerberg, how are we going to handle the cc payment. it will be easiest for me to submit since the ad campaign will be controlled via my fb account. but maybe @arthur needs to do this? let me know how this needs to happen.