🗨 Status Report II: What's Up With You?

Arriving Monday 13th afternoon, staying until 20th.

1 Like

Great. I’m around until the 17th. Let’s make some plans. Dinner on the 14th? Unfortunately @hampus, @jakobskote, @gustav and @Linnea are all on vacation - but @MariaEuler might be in town?

2 Likes

omg at social not distancing in Stockholm. Even at the covid19 testing centre. Passers by could prolly see me trying to pick up jaw off the ground. Meanwhile I am trying to cope with being stuck at home tired and ill. The boredom management strategy includes making lists for planning my next moves. I now have a new life goal - outpeacock this peacock: https://twitter.com/i/status/1282017515271589889

1 Like

Yeah. My theory is that Stockholm is reaching to some sort of herd immunity now. There hasn’t been much social distancing for a month apart from the restrictions on large gatherings, and cases in intensive care have been on a steady decline for weeks.

This graph is of patients in intensive care in Stockholm.

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 20.25.08

1 Like

It remains to be seen. I’m refraining from comparing success of strategies until spring 2021.
Consider, for example, that Sweden and Belgium were hit equally hard per capita, even though Belgium imposed a lockdown. There are just too many variables to consider while this is still going down. If the second wave hits Sweden as badly as the first, then it will truly be a cautionary tale. But I think it won’t. If we do in fact have a high degree of immunity, then the second wave will be a lot milder here than in other countries. I think you also need to look at stories like this to project how well people will deal with lockdown for much longer. It takes a psychological toll that won’t be sustainable.

That NYT article is wrong on a number of key points and feels more like a proxy to debate the US response – which weirdly has been using Sweden as an example without actually looking into the facts. It’s a pretty weird thing how Sweden keeps getting in the limelight of the US political game.

It does remain to be seen. Newspapers have deadlines so often speculate prematurely.

1 Like

https://edgeryders.eu/t/updates-on-community-building-july-december-2020-wiki-in-progress/14023

Uh-oh:

Yelp claims that 66K businesses in the USA have closed permanently because of the virus. Harvard researchers put the number at more than 110K. 44% of all US businesses are ‘small’ - less than 500 employees. Now that there is a new and very powerful virus surge going on over here, those numbers will climb much higher. The virus is not slowing down at all over here. Too many non-cooperators.

1 Like

As I write this Federal soldiers, apparently working for the Department of Homeland Security, are on the streets of Portland Oregon in full battle armour with no insignia or identification, rounding up protesters, usually non violent, and putting them into unmarked cars and driving them to unknown locations without reading anyone their rights, without declaring that someone is under arrest, and without the consent of the local police. This is a police state in the making, even while the virus rages out of control with no leadership from the same man who is ordering the kidnapping of citizens against the wishes of local and state government. The governor of Oregon specifically asked the Feds to withdraw and they refused.

These guys just say they work for “The Department of Justice.” I suspect that Trump wants to provoke some sort of greater violence so that he can bring the hammer down harder and harder. He has nowhere to go…without some sort of upheaval it seems a certainty that he will lose. What remains to be seen is how this country will get from here to that election day.

I realize this is the USA and not Europe, but the US has military all over Europe with fingers into every economy. It is in your interest too that the USA does not devolve into an authoritarian police state that favors white, Christian, male and in possession of some wealth. If Trump and the GOP retain power after November, this is exactly where it is going. That is your business too.

1 Like

And this:

1 Like

I just discovered edgeryders right now and am not positive whether I am using it right.
What’s up with me is I created my first blog https://vlct0r.substack.com
Also I am reaching out to others who share an interest in ‘the meta-crisis/metamodernism/sensemaking/game b’ space.

3 Likes

Welcome - admirable work you are doing keeping that ampitheater looking nice.

Welcome @vlct0r!

Checking in! I’m very familiar with the metamodernist crowd and the Hanzi Freinacht works. Where are you based?

Thanks, John. There something about a sense of place that I think makes performance, dialogue, and oratory all the more powerful.

Hi @hugi! I moved to Berlin from California back in December. Would love some help connecting.

1 Like

Cool, @BlackForestBoi is based in Berlin and is deep in the sensemaking scene as the founder of WorldBrain. He might be a good connection.

WorldBrain.io’s vision is interesting and a new tale that I haven’t come across before, though interestingly I may have met someone working either on that project or on a related project.
Will he be summoned by your @mention?