Text for Community Calls

The Final Invitation Text (English)

NB: Please add the translations into your own language below. 

[Exciting header for invitation text to be added here]

LOTE4: The Stewardship from Edgeryders on Vimeo.

Last year Edgeryders and the United Nations Development Program started collaborating around a new project in three countries: we called it Spot the Future. It engaged over a 130 participants in Georgia, Armenia and Egypt in a massive, peer to peer conversation online (on the Edgeryders platform) and offline (in various workshops and a  final conference, Futurespotters). It succeeded in bringing together people doing groundbreaking work at the edges together in discussion, and contributed to a major strategic change happening at the United Nations (read about it here).

In Future Makes our primary focus is to build concrete ways for innovators and activists to support one another’s work, peer to peer. We want to hear from you: what do you do to change your community for the better and what obstacles do you face? We want to know to figure out how communities such as Edgeryders, or larger organizations such as UNDP, could support your work in a sustainable way and how can we learn and teach each other by sharing our stories online.

Let’s build a sustainable model of networked collaboration, where the coordination costs for everyone is minimized. Join our  weekly community call, every Saturday at 10:00 CEST on skype.

Joining is easy:  Just add edgeryders to your list of contacts, show up at 10:00 CEST and write a message in the chat so we know you want to join. We will add you to the call when it starts.

See you soon!

Invitation Text (Arabic)

في العام الماضي قام إدجريدرس (Edgeryders)، و برنامج الأمم المتحدة الإنمائي بالتعاون حول مشروع جديد سمى بقعة المستقبل (Spot the Future) في ثلاثة بلدان، شارك أكثر من 130 مشاركا في جورجيا وأرمينيا ومصر في محادثة ضخمة على الانترنت على منصة (Edgeryders) وفعليا في مختلف حلقات العمل و المؤتمر النهائي (Futurespotters). نجح في الجمع بين الأشخاص الذين يقومون بالعمل على الحواف معا في المناقشة، وساهم في تغيير استراتيجي كبير يحدث في الأمم المتحدة (اقرأ عنها هنا).

في المستقبل تركيزنا الأساسي هو بناء طرق ملموسة للمبدعين و الناشطين لدعم عمل بعضهم بعضا. نريد أن نسمع منك: ماذا تفعل لتغيير المجتمع للأفضل وما العقبات التي واجهتك؟ نحاول أن نعرف كيف يمكن للمجتمعات مثل إدجريدرس (Edgeryders)، أو المنظمات الكبيرة مثل برنامج الأمم المتحدة الإنمائي (UNDP)، أن تدعم عملك بطريقة مستدامة.

دعونا نبني نموذج مستدام للتعاون الشبكي، حيث نصل بتكاليف التنسيق للجميع إلى الحد الأدنى. انضم لدعوة المجتمع الأسبوعية كل يوم سبت في تمام الساعة 10:00 CEST على سكايب.

الانضمام سهل: مجرد ضف edgeryders إلى قائمة جهات الاتصال على سكايب، تظهر في 10:00 CEST وكتابة رسالة في الدردشة في 10:00 CEST حتى نعرف أنك ترغب في الانضمام.

نراكم قريبا!

Invitation Text (Armenian)

Please add translation of the English text here. Remember that the weekly calls take place on different days and times in the different countries/languages so please adapt the instructions for joining!

Invitation Text (Georgian)

გასულ წელს,Edgeryders”-მა და გაეროს განვითარების პროგრამამ თანამშრომლობა ახალ პროექტზე სამ ქვეყანაში დაიწყო: ჯგუფმა პროგრამას „Spot the Future” დაარქვა.Spot the Future”-მა, 130-ზე მეტი მონაწილე საქართველოსა, სომხეთსა და ეგვიპტეში, მასიურ ონლაინ საუბრებით დააკავშირა (Edgeryders-ის პლატფორმის მეშვეობით). ასევე, მომხმარებლებს მიეცათ საშუალება პირდაპირ რეჯიმში დასწრებოდნენ სხვადასხვა სემინარებსა და კონფერენციებს: “Final conference-Futurespotters”. პროგრამამ წარმატებით საზოგადოების ის წევრები დაახლოვა, რომლებიც ინოვაციურად და კრეატიულად უდგებოდნენ დისკუსიის წარმართვის მეთოდებს, რამაც საბოლოოდ უდიდესი წვლილი გაეროს სტრატეგიის ტრანსფომაციაში შეიტანა . (იხილეთ აქ)

Future Makes-ის ძირითადი მიზანია დასახოს კონკრეტული გზები ინოვატორებსა და აქტივისტებს შორის, რათა მომავალში მათ შეძლონ ერთმანეთის დახმარება. ჩვენ, გვსურს გითხრათ- აკეთებთ თუ არა რამეს იმისთვის, რომ წვლილი შეიტანოთ საზოგადოებირივი კეთილდღეობისთვის და რა პრობლემბს აწყდებით თქვენ? ჩვენ გვაინტერესებს თუ როგორ შეუძლიათ „Edgeryders“, ასევე გაცილებით მაშტაბურ ორგანიზაციებს UNDP-ის თქვენი დახმარება სამსახურში და თუ რა მეთოდებით შეგვიძლია ერთმანეთს ვასწავლოთ და ვისწავლოთ ონლაინით, საკუთარი ისტორიების გაზიარების მეშვეობით.

ერთად შექვმნათ მდგრადი თანამშრომლობის ქსელის მოდელი, რომელშიც კოორდინაციის ღირებულება ყველასათვის მინიმალურია იქნება. გაწევრიანდით ჩვენს კვირეულ საუბარში, ყოველ ორშაბათს 18:30 საათზე, სკაიპში.

გაწერვიანება მარტივია: (edgeryders) დაამატეთ თქვენს კონტაკტების სიაში, გამოჩნდით 18:30 საათზე და მესიჯი მოგვწერეთ ჩატში, რომ ვიცოდეთ თქვენი გაწერვიანების სურვილი. ჩვენ დაგამატებთ, როგორც კი კონფერენცია დაიწყება.

გელით!

The Final Invitation Text (Belarusian)

Апошні год Эджрайдэры і Праграма Развіцця Арганізацыі Аб’яднаных Нацый распачала ўзаемадзеянне ў новым праекце ў трох краінах: мы назвалі аго Пазначаем Будучыню. Гэты праект прыцягнуў 130 удзельнікаў у Грузіі, Арменіі і Егіпце на вялікі і прамы дыялог анлайн (на платформе Эджрайдэраў) і афлайн (на розных майстаркласах і фінальнай канфэрэнцыі - Пазначальнікі Будучыні). Гэты праект паспяховы ў злучэнні людзей, якія робяць ўнікальныя справы разам у дыскусіі. Варта адзначыць, што гэты праект унёс значныя змены ў стратэгію Арганізацыю Аб’яднаных Нацый (чытай тут болей).

У Стварэнні Будучыні наш прыярытэт - гэта распрацоўка дакладных спосабаў падтрымкі адзін аднаго ў рабоце і прамых сувязях інаватараў і актывістаў. Мы хочам чуць вас: што вы робіце, каб зрабіць вашу супольнасць лепей, і якія цяжкасці вам сустракаюцца? Мы хочам ведаць, як такія супольнасці як Эджрайдэры або большыя арганізацыі, як праграма развіцця ААН, маглі б падтрымаць вашы праекты найбольш устойлівым спосабам і як мы можам вывучыць і навучыць адзін аднаго дзяліцца нашымі гісторыямі анлайн.

Прапануем будаваць устойлівую мадэль сеткавага ўзаемадзеяння, дзе будуць мінімізаваны каардынацыйныя кошты для кожнага. Далучайся да нашага штотыднёвага званка суполкі штосуботу ў 11:00 у скайпе. Размова адбываецца на англійскай мове.

Далучыцца нескладана: проста дадайце edgeryders у ваш спіс кантактаў, з’явіцеся ў скайпе а 11 гадзіне раніцы напішыце ў чаце, каб мы ведалі, што вы хочаце далучыцца. Мы дададзім вас ў званок, калі ён стартуе.

Да хуткай сустрэчы!

The Final Invitation Text (Ukrainian)

Please add translation of the English text here. Remember that the weekly calls take place on different days and times in the different countries/languages so please adapt the instructions for joining!

Attempt \#1:

Join our community call this Wednesday! Why? Because we want to hear from you: what do you do to change your community for the better and what obstacles do you face? 

We want to know, because we want to figure out how communities such as Edgeryders, or larger organizations such as UNDP, could support your work in a sustainable way and how can we learn and teach each other by sharing our stories online. You are putting your time and passion into projects for social good. But, the broad range of activities involved often fall outside what is normally thought of as volunteering.

We feel those initiatives should be counted as forms of civic engagement and better supported. So we are designing a program for the future of volunteering in employment, social protection and data - in Armenia, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Morocco, Ukraine, and maybe beyond.

Are you doing interesting work in the local social innovation/hacktivism/tech scenes? Are you up to share and learn from other people with different experiences and knowledge from all over the world? Let’s build a sustainable model of networked collaboration, where the coordination costs for everyone is minimized.

@Hegazy @Iriedawta @mikhail please edit/add as you wish :))

-------------

Attempt #2:

Learning to think in networks: Join the Weekly Community Calls!

Last year Edgeryders and the United Nations Development Program started collaborating around a new project in three countries: we called it Spot the Future. It engaged over a 130 participants in Georgia, Armenia and Egypt in a massive, peer to peer conversation online (on the Edgeryders platform) and offline (in various workshops and a  final conference, Futurespotters). It succeeded in bringing together people doing groundbreaking work at the edges, who did not know one another before the project, and who had little previous interaction with organisations like the UN in a real conversation: many have remained in contact, and we have seen several collaborations spring up between participants after the project ended.

While we have contributed to a major strategic change happening at the United Nations (read about it here), our primary focus is to build concrete ways for innovators and activists to support one another’s work, peer to peer.  So over the next three months we are hosting weekly calls to connect people doing interesting work in the local social innovation/hacktivism/tech scenes. These calls are part of a methodology that people in over 30 countries to collaboratively build new projects such as LOTE events:

Community Calls Format: Action oriented and designed to be useful for hands-on practitioners  

In each call we aim to

• Share practical knowledge: designing  in networks is crucial for time-hungry social innovators and activists to avoid expensive mistakes.
  • Design something together: Right now we are exploring a a system of network bartering for social innovators (more info below).
  • Reinforce the perception of being part of a diverse community of Future Makers, that includes local projects, institutions, people in your neighborhood as well as your peers on the other side of the planet.

Arabic Translation

انضم للمكالمة المجتمعية هذا الأربعاء!

لماذا؟ لأننا نريد أن نسمع منك: ماذا تفعل لتغيير مجتمعك للأفضل و ما العقبات التي تواجهك؟

احنا بنحاول نعرف كيف يمكن للمجتمعات مثل إدجريدرس (Edgeryders)، أو المنظمات الكبيرة مثل برنامج الأمم المتحدة الإنمائي (UNDP)، أن تدعم عملك بطريقة مستدامة. مع انك تضع الوقت والعاطفة في المشاريع الاجتماعية. فانها غالبا ما تقع خارج ما يفهم تحت العمل التطوعي.

ينبغي أن تحسب تلك المبادرات كشكل من أشكال المشاركة المدنية و تحصل على دعم أفضل. لذلك نصمم نحن برنامج مستقبل التطوع في العمل والحماية الاجتماعية والبيانات - في أرمينيا، بيلاروسيا، مصر، جورجيا، المغرب، أوكرانيا، وربما بعده.

هل تقوم بعمل مثير للاهتمام في مشهد الابتكار الاجتماعي / البرجميات / التكنولوجيا المحلية؟ دعونا نبني نموذج مستدام للتعاون الشبكي، حيث نصل  بتكاليف التنسيق للجميع إلى الحد الأدنى

1 Like

Thoughts

Guys, my feeling about this call is that it is focusing too much on what institutions (maybe) could do for participants, rather than what participants could do for one another by learning to think and act in networks (regardless of whether insitutional actors are able/willing to help). What do you think?

1 Like

agree

you’re right, @Nadia. Maybe @Hegazy and/or @Iriedawta you guys know how to edit/add it so it can be both ways? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hegazy is already super busy with the Cairo workshop this week

Maybe @Iriedawta and @Mikhail_Volchak can pop in and maybe suggest how we should change the above?

2 Likes

of course

and I’ll be able to look at it again tomorrow, my brain is just a bit fried right now :))

1 Like

I will think about this and edit the wiki tomorrow! Good job @Inge!

I’ve made some changes in both versions, however I think we can fuse both texts and get one perfect letter, what do you think @Inge @Hegazy @Nadia? I can do it tonight!

2 Likes

same thoughts

I was thinking exactly the same, but wasnt able to get around it today. :))

1 Like

Translation

Hey @Nadia,

Should it be in formal Arabic or Egyptian speaking Arabic?

It’ll be easily to be translated to Egyptian speaking Arabic if we’re targeting Egyptians.

I will read it and edit on what’s written.

2 Likes

Last year Edgeryders and the United Nations Development Program started collaborating around a new project in three countries: we called it Spot the Future. It engaged over a 130 participants in Georgia, Armenia and Egypt in a massive, peer to peer conversation online (on the Edgeryders platform) and offline (in various workshops and a  final conference, Futurespotters). It succeeded in bringing together people doing groundbreaking work at the edges together in discussion, and contributed to a major strategic change happening at the United Nations (read about it here). 

In Future Makes Global our primary focus is to build concrete ways for innovators and activists to support one another’s work, peer to peer. We want to hear from you: what do you do to change your community for the better and what obstacles do you face? We want to know to figure out how communities such as Edgeryders, or larger organizations such as UNDP, could support your work in a sustainable way and how can we learn and teach each other by sharing our stories online.

Let’s build a sustainable model of networked collaboration, where the coordination costs for everyone is minimized. Join our  weekly community call, every Wednesday!

1 Like

I combined both Attempts from above. 

Small rant: I wrote the above 3 times, loosing it each time to the platform! Thirds’ a charm they say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Geat job @Hegazy! It looks good, I will go through it myself this weekend! Cheers

The clipboard is your friend

Select all (Ctrl + A) and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl + C) before posting a comment / post / whatever. If something goes wrong, you simply go back to the form and paste the clipboard content (Ctrl + V). I do that not only here but in every website’s form where I wrote a substantial amount. Prevents grey hair.

Apart from that tip: From my experience with the edgeryders.eu server, it is reliable and does not lose input from forms. Hasn’t happened once to me because of the server. What might be unreliable is the Internet connection (wifi part, 3G part if you use it, or higher up on the network side). That has caused failed form posting for me too, but apart from the Ctrl + A Ctrl + C trick above there’s nothing on our side that can help solve this. (Well ok, I could do AJAX forms that keep the content instead of reloading the page. For later though, it will take a bit of time.)

1 Like

Works fine for me…

… but of course I know this feeling. But for me this was one of the best sites I have used so far - in terms of this effect. Though like Matthias says, I also still use the clipboard (why there is no “copy-to-clipboard-and submit-button” for the majority of people with spotty internet is beyond me).

What effect?

But for me this was one of the best sites I have used so far - in terms of this effect.” – What do you refer to, does this mean that content post forms here on edgeryders.eu don’t work for you frequently? If so, you might help me debugging with some more detailed reports b/c I can’t reproduce this.

why there is no “copy-to-clipboard-and submit-button” for the majority of people with spotty internet is beyond me” – Programmatically copying something to the clipboard is only possible with Flash in the browser (to my knowledge), and Flash is dying out for good reasons. The proper solution are AJAX forms that keep the content after posting, so if the content does not make it to the server, it can be re-posted (atutomatically even). For comments, this would be relatively simple with ajax_comments, for the rest I don’t know yet … if somebody wants to work on this, always welcome …

1 Like

Relax

I tried to say things work well here (for me).

Yeah - browser → clipboard is probably difficult for very good reasons…

1 Like

late :slight_smile:

sorry for the delay, i wanted someone to take a look at the georgian version before i posted it, but everyone was busy :). finally got it checked. we also had a meet-up yesterday, will upload summary soon.

Ukraine is on the line

Edgeryders та Програма розвитку Організації Об’єднаних Націй почали співпрацювати навколо нового проекту у трьох країнах - Spot the Future. На початку 130 учасників з Грузії, Вірменії та Єгипту обєднались вже на існуючій онлайн платформі відомого проекту Edgeryders для дискусій та обєднання досвідом. Програма також почала працювати в оффлайн режимі через семінари та підсумкові конференції (Futurespotters). Як результат, організаторам вдалося об’єднати активістів у плідних дискусіях та зробити внесок до значної стратегічної зміни, що наразі відбувається в Організації Об’єднаних Націй (про це читайте тут).

У майбутньому наше першочергове завдання полягає у створенні конкретних засобів підтримки проектів новаторів і активістів, як за допомогою спілкування між учасниками так і за допомогою семінарів і подальшої підтримки.

Ми хочемо дізнатись про вам! Про те що ви робите, щоб змінити своє співтовариство на краще, і з якими перешкодами ви стикаєтеся? Ми хочемо дізнатись як така громада як Edgeryders та така велика організація як UNDP змогли б підтримати вашу роботу на постійній основі, а також, як ми можемо вчитися і вчити один одного, ділячись своїми історіями в Інтернеті

Давайте будувати стійку модель мережевої співпраці, де витрати на координацію для всіх зведена до мінімуму. Приєднуйтесь до нашого щотижневого skype дзвінка об 11 ранку у Суботу

Приєднання легко: просто додайте edgeryders в свій список контактів, напишіть повідомлення в чаті, аби ми знали що ви хочете приєднатись. Ми додамо вас у виклику, коли він почнеться.

Побачимося!