Translate Ben's unMonastery interview into different languages

Italian Translation

I am willing to to help  any documentation translations in ItalianDo we have any main wiki page to work on?

Thanks! And tips

Thank you, [Elena Karlsen] and [Bergamo-Hub], that’s very generous! We don’t need a separate wiki, as Amara is itself the wiki. Here’s how it works:

1. Go here.
  2. [Bergamo-Hub], look to the left of the page, under "Ver subtitulos". Click on "Italiano". or simply go here. [Elena Karlsen], a Russian translation is not present, so you have to make one. Click on the "Create a new translation" link under the video; set the drop-down menu "Subtitle to" to "Russian" and the drop-down menu "Translate from" to "English (100%). Then click "Continue".
  3. At this point you should both see a page looking like this:

All that’s left to do is to click on the link “Editar subtitulos”(top right) and you will see a bunch of text boxes. Each one sports the English subtitle on top: your job is now to type the Italian/Russian translation of each subtitle in the empty text box. As you see, each subtitle is really short, maybe 5-12 words. [Bergamo-Hub], I have already translated the first minute or so of video, but if you don’t like my translation feel free to change it. You can’t go wrong, because Amara has full revision history, and we can always restore the previous version.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

My pleasure

All  Italian modules completed and the first (jet translation phase) finished.

If someone else want to lead the stage of proof-reading and correction (and it would be better to have a second impressionoverview) just ping me or feel free to join the task. I will be back in a few days and trim the text with the audio-video track.

Best,

Fabrizio

Well done!

Well done, Fabrizio, thanks a million! I’ll do some proof reading myself.

Italian translation subtitles completed

You are welcome Alberto. I’ve only done the first rough translation, you have refined and completed the task. Is an example of collaboration, which I love identifying as “The Bank of Talents

"Per avere il meglio e ottenere un alto livello di prestazioni grazie al confronto creativo è possibile creare una -Banca dei talent-, un gruppo di persone caratterizzato da molteplici talenti e abilità uniche, dove la somma dei talenti personali sarà maggiore rispetto la somma delle sue singole parti.   rif:http://goo.gl/IUjQ22

I also sent the video to Bergamo2019 Committee with the title:

Success always takes help. Failure is done alone.

Romanian subtitle-> done!

All this reminds me of good ol’ times when we were translating together the first Edgeryders video. The enthusiasm is the same…

Russian translation is done!

Great work!

Great work, [Elena Karlsen], big big kudos. Let’s see who’s next… BTW, [LucasG] can you check everything is in order? There seem to be extra fields, I had to input fake text (".") in order for Amara to accept the Italian translation as complete.

Elena Karlsen Yay! Thanx!

[Elena Karlsen] Yay! Thanx!

I’ll do the Polish translation over the weekend :slight_smile:

Saturday most likely

Estonian!

Check out the Estonian translation, already live thanks to the mighty [henri37]. This brings total languages to six: when the wonderful [Justyna Krol] has done Polish, it will be seven. At least, because it may well be the French, or the Dutch, or the Swedes decide to step in… :slight_smile:

(Bad) French started

I am devoting my morning session with French to this translation. Ben’s first answer is now translated into French, but I am so not a native speaker, and could use some help – not just in completing the translation, but also in beautifying what is already done. :slight_smile:

… and Portuguese too!

It’s looking like the wonderful [pacheca] has started a Portuguese translation. Come on, let’s do this!

Polish translation

Hey All, sorry for getting to it late - I’ve just started working on the Polish translation and will try to get it done today. One thing I must say - Polish is disastrous when it comes to vocab like “sharing economy” → “ekonomia wzajemnościowa/współdzielenia” yuk! :slight_smile:

Three new translations in a week!

Thank you [Justyna Krol], well done! That makes 3 new translations started this week. I am slowly proceeding with French, but I do hope that some native speakers steps in, if only to make the language more natural-sounding.

Spanish is done too :slight_smile:

[LucasG] has been busy, I see. Thanks!

So, now we’ve got seven languages down: English, Estonian, Greek, Italian, Romanian, Russian and Spanish. And three more under way: French, Polish and Portuguese. So far I am the only one working on the French, which is about 60% complete, but the quality is what you might expect from me.

Bug in Amara! Translators please read this

Hi all. It turns out that there is a bug in Amara: if you make changes to the original subtitles (English, in our case), this breaks the connection between them and any translation started before making the changes. Amara has wiki functionalities, so you can undo changes to the original subtitles by reverting to the previous revision; but this will not un-break the connection. Result: people working on translations don’t see anymore the English subtitles as they input the translations. The implications is that translators would work instead by playing a little bit of the video, then write the translation down, then move on to the next etcetera. Unfortunately, I did make such changes to get rid of two ugly-looking empty subtitle lines. Sorry! The bug was noticed one year ago and acknowledged by Amara, but never solved.

Good news: completed translations are not affected – subtitles display as normal. At the time of writing we have complete translations in English, Estonian, Greek, Italian, Romanian, Russian and Spanish. Also, new translations are not affected: you can follow Noemi’s instructions at the beginning of this thread and they will work as normal.

Who is affected is people working on the four in-progress translations: French (me), German (Lorenzo, who has no Edgeryders account), Polish ([Justyna Krol]) and Portuguese ([pacheca]). Here’s how you can solve this:

1. if you prefer to translate by listening to Ben speaking (some people do), there is no change. Amara's interface lets you do that.
  2. if you prefer to translate by looking at the English subtitles, start by creating a new translation in some language that you don't think will be used or some regional variant of the main language – I used French Canadian for French. 
  3. translate as normal. If you have already done a part of the work, start at the first untranslated line – no need to redo the work!
  4. when you are done, subtitles need to be moved back into the main language. The simplest way is probably to open two browser tabs next to each other, one for the source language (in my case French Canadian) and the other for the target language (in my case, French). Once the target language is marked complete, it will show up as a playback option in the video. 

sorry I didn’t even see this thread!

So, I see where people are gathering to work together. Great!

I’ve been watching Alberto do the deep troubleshooting research which took him to see the bug in http://www.amara.org. Awesome, and really surpassed my knowledge of the platform, which is quite basic.

I just want to add the possibility of downloading the language you translate from. (In translation lingo I’ve seen it called the “pivot” language, because it could be different from the original - say the original was in English, but you use the Spanish to translate into French, then Spanish would be your “pivot”.) Then you can work off-line, and finally upload the text with your translation. If you download the file with a “subtitles format” (.srt and others), then the timetags are there for you, right between the lines with the content. So you can download, substitute, upload.

This works well if you intend to be the sole translator (a short piece, doable in one go). I’m not sure how it goes if you do some percentage while others work in other parts. If you are in close communication with the other translators of your language you’d use email. If not, maybe an ethernet pad would do.

These are just options, forget them if they are confusing.

There are options other than amara.org: there was http://www.dotsub.com (old contender in the subtitle arena, maybe even before http://www.amara.org came in) and now youtube gives you the subtitles (with the added advantage of transcription from the soundtrack itself, but with - I think - a less mature transcription platform). And this script: http://google2srt.sourceforge.net

I think transcription-translation software is a moving target but the tools are pretty useful right now, and I’m glad we’re using them.

Cheers!

German is done|

German was done by my brother Lorenzo, who is not on Edgeryders (nor on Facebook, Twitter, etc.). He is half-Austrian and his German is exceptionally good for a non-native speaker, and perhaps a little sub par for a native one. Any native speaker wishing to improve on the translation will have everyone’s gratitude.

Though I guess the French translation needs improvements even more, since I seem to have been the only one working on it, and my French is not great at all – even given Google Translate etc.

This brings the completed languages to 9, with two more (Polish and Portuguese) that were started.

German has been checked.

Have just finished checking and correcting the German translation. Thanks to Lorenzo for getting the initial heavy lifting done!