Writer's Workshop: Narratives of the Quake

After the successful experiment with first Edgeryders’ run UnConference in Kathmandu we’d like to meet you again - this time to write together.

As simple as it gets: you register before the event (we want to keep the number of participants reasonably low in order to actually write, polish and finish pieces that can be published at the end of the day). You arrive, with your recorder/phone/camera/laptop and any other useful device that will help you with preparing the material for that day. Pick a story you want to cover. And write with us.

Please fill in this form to participate in this workshop: https://goo.gl/j3fMeo

(Update: This application process closed 2015-06-15 24:00. Everyone who filled that form got an e-mail with further details now.)

There will be a team of experienced journalists, bloggers and people-of-word of all sorts, who will support the creative process with all their knowledge and enthusiasm. There will be great food, and some interesting screenings about citizen journalism, and a Citizen Journalism Toolkit for everyone.

All we need is a motivated group of people to come and want to cover some earthquake-related pieces. Let’s experiment with what could be done around the topic.

Update: Details of the (preliminary) program and the space are now ready: the workshop will happen in absolutely wonderful Cafe Aamu in Lalitpur. Program:

10:00 – 12:00

Registrations and an open welcoming session led by @Natalia_Skoczylas and @anubhutipoudyal: “Introduction to Citizen Journalism” and sharing first ideas for the writing session later in the day.

12:00 – 13:00

Session led by Kathaharu about the use of visuals in journalism plus a short documentary screening.

13:00 – 14:00

Session led by Gyanu Adhikari, journalist from The Record Nepal.

14:00 – 14:15

Break!

(You can always extend it if you need to :slight_smile:

14:15 – 18:00

Writing session. The space will have smaller rooms where people can brainstorm together, seek help, or simply be in a quiet space and focus on writing. Your results will be shared here on the Future Makers Nepal online space (ideally you would get that done by the end of the session, you can still improve your article later).

18:00 – 19:00

Dinner!

19:00 – 21:00

Screening of a great citizen journalism documentary.

(This part is open to everyone, so whoever likes to join us, is encouraged to.)

We are still waiting for confirmations about certain details of the workshop, but this is more or less what you can expect to happen this Saturday. I hope you find it as exciting as we do;)

Looking forward to meeting you again!

Date: 2015-06-20 04:15:00 - 2015-06-20 13:15:00, Asia/Kathmandu Time.

4 Likes

Very interesting idea!!! It does bring people to a better involvement within the situation in the community and open up new skills and knowledge about civil journalism. Great idea to get good understanding of the situation. Will be happy to use it, if you allow in Ukraine, since one of the projects we were involved was recording IDP stories that were forced to run away from the conflict areas. Now, I am developing an initiative on stories, that are deep, researchers, with personal touch and profound characters from Ukraine and other post CIS countries. So it’s good example!!! Would be happy to talk more about that

2 Likes

feel free, quoting our favourite Milan Rai: we believe in open source, I think there are some copies left of that event;)

and open to suggestions

Hi @nataliegryvnyak, this is the first time we are organizing this so we are also pretty excited and nervous at the same time. If you have any ideas on any activities that we could include to let those richer/profound experiences be captured during a one-day workshop format, it would be amazing :slight_smile:

A simple, touching experience: volunteers blogs in rural Morocco

I got absolutely fascinated by this blog. It is a new NGO in Morocco. I love it that they are so open-ended: they get some training, they deploy to some village and they try to do something useful, and what happens happens. The volunteers posts have an incredibly fresh quality, at least to me…

1 Like

We actually have an idea with Matthias on how to foster and encourage storytelling and news-exchange between the villages - and it will be based on our Raspberry Pi proposal. People could simply record, write down, document whatever they find interesting in any form and put it on usb sticks that would come along with the little server - and could later on travel with them to nearby cities or villages and exchange news this way. Citizen journalism for everyone.

Then we could integrate it into professional writing and finally bring the remote stories of Nepal to the center of attention - or even shift the center of attention towards multiple centers :slight_smile:

Yes :slight_smile:

Well, they are called “Raspberry Pi local knowledge servers”, right? It might also mean “Raspberry Pi local knowledge servers”. Both Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap are read-write media: encouraging people to write in them is a natural.

1 Like

awaiting with a great enthusiasm to attain and entertain rthe

I  for the first time attended the workshop in edgeryders and the future maker’s team.it was really amazing and inspirational work.on top of that I got chance to share my experiences and listen to others.

This time I  am waiting with a great enthusiasm and interest to attain this workshop.and I hope this workshop will be fruitful and productive.this type of workshop will not only envision us on the topic but also make our thinking and vision broad.

thanks to future makers for organizing this type of workshops and program.

1 Like

Link: Workshop Plan and Feedback Documents

For those who want to organize something similar in the future, we have two documents to study :slight_smile: