Carpool community in Armenia!

Available in: :gb: English / :hy: Armenian

:gb: English version

Let’s say you are standing in the street waiting for the bus. It’s very cold and snowing. You can’t feel yourself. 10 minutes,20…and no bus. Taxi is too expensive. And suddenly someone comes and suggests you to drop the place you wish. Your reaction:

1. Why I should trust this person. He has dark intentions.
  2. He is such a kind person, who cares about the others also.

Carpooling, something created for the second type of people. The ones, you think that sharing their car they can be useful to an old grandma, who has not enough money for taxi, a young person, who is late for university and many others.

Actually the idea came when the price for public transportation price rose for 50% in Yerevan. It was in July. I was one of the citizens, who faced that problem. But instead of just complaining I decided to create a group in facebook and add just friends, who have their own car. The group is called Carpool Հայաստան (Carpool Armenia). https://www.facebook.com/groups/376477792474667/?fref=ts In the group drivers ( the people who have a car) write their daily way, the hour and how many places they have in the car. And the people, who are in the same way, were joining. And vice versa. Anyone, who wants to go from point A to point B, post in the group and find someone to join and to reach the destination.

The most amazing was that in 2 days more than 6000 people were involved in the initiative. It was like a virus. Nearly no one wanted to use public transport, because there was better option. All our society was involved. People were going on strikes in the streets. And the biggest wheal was the youth. In the weather conditions of 35-38 digress we were gathering in the streets, doing protests, in order to pay less for the public transport in Yerevan. Day from day more and more people were involved and we decide to create stickers and give them to the drivers to put them on their cars as logos. So then people knew that that car is free car and can take them for free wherever they wished. For the first days population were a bit afraid, as the 1st type of people above mentioned, but then our nation became like one family. Boys and girls were like sister and brother, drivers like sons for their passengers … Many artists, singers, showmen and actors were involved. Using their own cars they were supporting the society a lot. And whatever happens in the streets is visible in the Facebook group, because everyone was posting. Some members of our group even hired a private bus for people. I was receiving hundreds of massages per day with various suggestions of support. Armenians from diaspora wanted even to transfer money for petrol to hire more private buses. Printing houses were printing our flyers and stickers for free. Even cars like limousines were free. J

The most important was that the government cancelled the law and we again pay the previous price for the public transportation. I think there is a small investment of Carpool Armenia as well.

After Carpool Armenia became more international. People found each other even in Germany to share their car from Berlin to Hamburg, from Tbilisi to Batumi and etc…

While carpooling you can relax at the back seat and have a chit chat with your new friends. Free and convenient, sounds good yes?

One more important fact also, carpooling is eco-friendly. Every litter of fuel, that cars consume takes a bit of nature away from us. So while sharing our cars we reduce the amount of consumed fuel, thus caring for the future of our grandchildren!

So keep on carpooling, make your journey more adventurous, save money and care for the society!

##:hy: Armenian version

Եկեք ասում եք կանգնած են փողոցում սպասում ավտոբուսը. Դա շատ ցուրտ է եւ ձյուն կտեղա. Դուք չեք կարող զգալ ինքներդ. 10 րոպե, 20 … եւ ոչ մի ավտոբուս. Taxi չափազանց թանկ է. Եվ հանկարծ ինչ - որ մեկը գալիս է եւ առաջարկում է ձեզ թողնել այն տեղը, ինչ ցանկանում եք: Ձեր արձագանքը:

Ինչու ես պետք է վստահել այդ մարդուն. Նա ունի մութ մտադրությունները.
Նա նման է մի բարի մարդ է, ով հոգ է տանում ուրիշների նաեւ.
Carpooling, ինչ - որ բան ստեղծել երկրորդ տեսակի մարդկանց. Նրանք, կարծում եք, որ կիսում են իրենց մեքենան, նրանք կարող են օգտակար լինել ծեր տատիկի, ով չի բավարար գումար համար տաքսի, մի երիտասարդ մարդ, ով ուշանում համալսարանի եւ շատ ուրիշներ.

Իրականում գաղափարը, երբ գինը հանրային տրանսպորտի գինը բարձրացել է 50% - ով: Երեւանում Դա հուլիսին. Ես մեկն էր քաղաքացիների, ովքեր կանգնած այդ խնդիրը: Բայց դրա փոխարեն պարզապես բողոքում ես որոշեցի ստեղծել խմբին Facebook եւ ավելացնել միայն ընկերներին, ովքեր իրենց մեքենան. Խումբը կոչվում carpool Հայաստան (carpool Հայաստան). Redirecting... խմբի վարորդներին (Մարդիկ, ովքեր ունեն Ավտոմեքենա) գրել իրենց ամենօրյա դեպ, ժամը եւ ինչպես շատ տեղերում, նրանք պետք է մեքենան. Իսկ մարդիկ, ովքեր նույն կերպ են միանալու. Եւ հակառակը: Ամեն ոք, ով ուզում է գնալ - ից կետը A կետ B, Ամսաթիվ խմբի եւ գտնել մեկին միանալու եւ հասնել նշանակման վայրում.

Առավել զարմանալի էր, որ 2 օրվա ընթացքում ավելի քան 6000 մարդ ներգրավված է նախաձեռնությանը. Դա նման էր վիրուսի. Գրեթե ոչ ոք չի ցանկանում օգտվել հասարակական տրանսպորտից, քանի որ ավելի լավ տարբերակ. Բոլորը մեր հասարակությունը ներգրավված էր. Մարդիկ գնում են գործադուլների փողոցներում. Իսկ ամենամեծ Wheal էր երիտասարդների. Իսկ եղանակային պայմաններում 35-38 շեղվել էինք հավաքվում են փողոցներում, կատարելով բողոքի, որպեսզի վճարել ավելի քիչ է հասարակական տրանսպորտի թ. Օր օր ավելի ու ավելի շատ մարդիկ են ներգրավված, եւ մենք որոշել ենք ստեղծել Կպչուն պիտակներ եւ տալ նրանց, որ վարորդներին դրանք իրենց մեքենաների, ինչպես նաեւ LOGOS. Ուրեմն մարդիկ գիտեին, որ այդ մեքենան է ազատ մեքենան եւ կարող է նրանց համար անվճար, որտեղ էլ նրանք ցանկանում. Առաջին օրվա բնակչության մի քիչ վախենում է, քանի որ 1 - ին տեսակի մարդկանց վերը նշված, բայց մեր ազգը դարձել է, ինչպես մի ընտանիք. Տղաներ եւ աղջիկներ էին նման քրոջ եւ եղբոր, վարորդները, ինչպիսիք են որդիներին իրենց ուղեւորների … Շատ արվեստագետներ, երգիչներ, showmen եւ դերասաններ էին ներգրավված. Օգտագործելով իրենց մեքենաները, նրանք աջակցում Հասարակություն շատ. Իսկ այն, ինչ տեղի է ունենում փողոցներում տեսանելի է Facebook խմբում, քանի որ բոլորն էլ թույալտվություն: Որոշ անդամներ մեր խմբի նույնիսկ վարձել անձնական ավտոբուս մարդկանց համար. Ես ստանում հարյուրավոր մերսումներ օրական տարբեր առաջարկությունների աջակցությամբ. Հայեր Սփյուռքից ուզում նույնիսկ գումար բենզինի վարձել ավելի շատ մասնավոր ավտոբուս. Տպագրություն տները տպագրական մեր թռուցիկներ եւ Կպչուն պիտակներ անվճար. Նույնիսկ մեքենաները, ինչպես Լիմուզին են անվճար. J

Ամենակարեւորն այն էր, որ կառավարությունը չեղյալ է օրենքը, եւ մենք նորից վճարել նախկին գինը հասարակական տրանսպորտի. Ես կարծում եմ, կա մի փոքրիկ ներդրումն է carpool նաեւ Հայաստանում.

Հետո carpool Հայաստանը դարձել է ավելի միջազգային. Մարդիկ գտել են միմյանց, նույնիսկ Գերմանիայում կիսվել են իրենց մեքենան Բեռլինում Համբուրգում, Թբիլիսիից Բաթումի եւ այլն:

Մինչ carpooling դուք կարող եք հանգստանալ է հետեւի նստատեղի եւ ունեն ընձյուղ զրուցեք ձեր նոր ընկերներ. Ազատ եւ հարմար է, հրաշալի՜ Այո.

Մեկ այլ կարեւոր փաստ եւս, carpooling է էկո - բարեկամական. Ամեն աղբ վառելիքի, որ մեքենաները սպառում տեւում է մի քիչ բնության հեռու մեզանից. Այնպես որ, երբ կիսում են մեր մեքենաները, մենք նվազեցնել սպառվող վառելիքի, հետեւաբար հոգատար ապագայի համար մեր թոռների.

Այնպես որ, շարունակեք carpooling, որպեսզի Ձեր ճամփորդությունը ավելի համարձակ, փողերը խնայելու եւ խնամք հասարակության համար.

3 Likes

One of the best ever activist campaigns in Armenia!

It was really iinspiring to see how many people got involved - basically the whole nation! Very quickly, within a few days, everyone got to know about the issue, which was - rising the price for public transportation, and everyone got an opportunity to be involved in the protest actions, because it was happening everywhere and could be combined by daily routine, so many of those who didn’t even know much about the issue, automatically got to know everything just on the streets and joined immediately. It was also obvious that protest action connected to public transport, done by involvement of public transport, had to have a success:) I hope the moods and spirit of this action that are still fresh, will help in any future campaigns, because people had a very rare opportunity to open up and share themselves in very inspired way and it created an atmosphere of global empathy. But yeah, I also hope the state will not plan anymore stupid acts like that one because we have already enough big gap between the people and the state, a very unpleasant one, which doesn’t let to start a normal dialogue for a positive change. 

2 Likes

Hi Vahagn,

Interesting and eye-opening to read about how carpooling takes off in Armenia.

Interestingly too, it’s taking off in Egypt as well. In 2013, I cofounded (together with a team of Egyptians) a carpooling app called kartag.com. Basically, we connected dots. Issue of trust, which you talk about above in your post, is a big deal here too. And where do most of anyone’s friends network reside? Facebook.

Dots we connected were Facebook (network with majority of friends you know and trust), social nature of Egyptian culture and mobile apps (something many people use here).

I see you have a Facebook page. Let me know if you guys want to think collaboration in some way.

cheers,

Hayk

1 Like

Hello Hayk!

Hi,

I am happy you found it interesting Hayk,

I think what you told about is very interesting and I’d like to link you with the carpool activists in Armenia, I think they would be interested in your ideas too.

Yes I have a facebook page and several facebook groups. I use facebook to promote ideas and organize things, so I hope the outcomes of the activities organized via facebook kind of compensate the fat of using facebok as a social connector. For the moment at least facebook is very practical:) 

Yes, we would like to collaborate with you, please share more info and let’s try to carpool globally!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Carpooling joined people!

I think after carpooling initiatives in Armenia, people here became more helpful , tolerant and the common sense was increased. It would be nice to have something like I phone application for Armenian drivers and not only. Only in this case we need people to be more active ! 

1 Like

Is there compensation involved?

I live in Belgium, and as of now Uber has been banned. So has Airbnb. These two companies are facing legal trouble in several places in the world

If Carpooling Armenia is free, it is difficult to attack. But if there is any money changing hands, it is vulnerable to this kind of legal pressure. Not everybody likes the sharing economy.

1 Like

Carpool Armenia is absolutely free!

There is no any charge for participating in Carpool Armenia, it is based on volunteering, all drivers are sharing their car without taking money. If you wish to give something instead , you may give just candy or an apple:) Although there were many suggestions to make it commercial project, but I wanted to keep it away from all business issues. Just sharing and caring for each other!

This should help

This way, nobody can touch you. Good: we are seeing the established actors going for the throat of the sharing economy as soon as some initiative grows. Good work Anna!

1 Like

collaborate?

@Anna, @Vahagn, if you guys wanted to collaborate, send me an email (specified in the below post).

Carpooling isnt necessarily free, but the way we do it - friends, friends’ friends and colleagues - it is free as far as the user of the app is concerned. We do charge fees from big companies for whom we make corporate or white-label versions for usage by their employees.

Also, FYI, here is a comprehensive study on Collaborative Economy showing why people share things with each other. Convenience and price (usually cheaper than buying new) are the two prime reasons.

hey,

@Vahagn, @Anna so let’s take this to some email exchange - mine is hayk [dot] hakobyan [at] gmail. Drop me a line so I can respond with info.

We have an iPhone and Android. The app however is in English.

@Alberto, normal carpooling apps charge per transaction. Not so with us due to the nature of the app (seamless integration with Facebook). It’s free to use and so far we leave the sharing cost decision to the two or more parties involved

The current version is tailored (in its Areas tab you only see places/unis in Egypt) for Egypt but has a possibility of adding new countries. 

cheers,

H.

1 Like

guys,

i got no contacts from you so far. if you are interested in doing something together, let me know. let me know otherwise too.

Please check your email :slight_smile:

Session reflections

I think the carpooling idea has great potential, again it is about market exposure and making it a desirable service. It would be worth doing some kind of ‘market’ research to see what is currently stopping people from using a cheap and convenient service. For example, Blablacar works in the UK because it includes a profile & reference system, so people can trust the stranger they will be getting into a car with. You can also check if they are smokers or listen to terrible music before agreeing to 400 Km in a car together :wink:

1 Like

That research is probably out there?

I am no expert, but I imagine that that research is out there. Somebody must have done it by now!