Co-producing printed materials for #lote3!

So Caroline, Rita and myself got together and talked about what printed materials could contribute towards LOTE3 achieving three things:

1. Discover clear and actionable aims that we have in common with others
  2. Find people to collaborate with to achieve those goals
  3. Make the different goals, initiatives to achieve them and hidden resources we already have accessible online in forms that invite more engagement, collaboration and action from more people.

We initially started talking about outcomes we would like to see like people having spoken and interacted with people they didn’t know before, or prototyping new ways of making the interests, resources and abilities already available in the Edgeryders community visible. After some back and forth we came to the conclusion that what drives a lot of this happening is clear aims- things that people get excited about getting involved in. At first we thought about just printing talk to me bubbles, but realised that If you ask me what I want at the beginning of the event, it’s probably very different from what I would say after. Because of all the new impressions, conversations, connections etc.

So we are thinking of the printed materials as support to all the participants in a process that leads to our leaving the unMonastery already collaborating in realising things we are super excited about. Both with people who were physically there AND online with others who couldn’t make it this time. We have come up with a list of materials to produce with links to the files to modify if we have them (from previous events). While in South Africa I came up with a visual metaphor to explain what Edgeryders is/does that is also consistent with the logotype. The circle is the core element in it so it would be nice to have it as a basic form in the materials.

We also need to think about what instructions we need to give to participants on arrival and in the opening presentation so they can use the materials effectively to support our all having a generative LOTE3 which benefits us and others far after we leave Matera back to daily life again…

• Template for documentation of sessions, ideally as an entry to the UnMonasterian's Cookbook
    • Question trying to solve
    • 5 conclusions
    • mind map / drawing of what was said
    • most tweeted content 
    • Form: could be a modified version of this A5 Folded Booklet containing: Program + Session documentation form (with instructions & questions to answer) + Poster 
  • Round Stickers (Caroline's first version here): like Jay Cousin's " talk to me about" stickers but round with following questions:
    • What do you want Egderyders to achieve?
    • How do you think we can get there?
    • How do you want to contribute?
  • Collaboration Cards + Database: With fields people can fill in. Card can then be scanned with entries fed into database (check out camcard app to get idea)
  • BIG Circle Papers for putting on the floor
  • Photo Stickers of participants (one pack with all faces for each person to be recieved on registration)
  • Directory of participants to make it easy to find new people you want to talk to

Want to help?

Check out Rita’s comment and the design files available. Then comment below with your ideas, take charge of making one of the items, and  links to the ready to print file you build once you are done! 

Existing Material

Great Nadia, thanks for this compilation! I will get in touch with Ola. Could you please put the existing material from e.g. Strasbourg and Brussels in a Dropbox so we could make use of poster/program layouts etc. In addition to the printed versions we should have online versions ready as well. What would be a good plattform to fill in and store feedback, photostickers, etc? Could we arrange something temporary on googledrive or on edgeryders.eu that could be sorted after the conference and be available to the community afterwards?

Hi Caroline! :- )

Did you notice this dropbox links Nadia already sent, with some inDesign files?

A5 Folded Booklet: and Directory of participants

Mail Me

Hi Rita, just saw your messages now. I’ll check the link to the DB material. Got in touch with Ola and have the unMonastery Logo… Here my email: caroline.paulick-thiel@humboldt-viadrina.org

1 Like

Hey, great ideas and good job!

It’s quite ambitious I’d say, but I won’t spoil the fun of it :slight_smile: I find lovely any idea with stickers, it’s much useful since you don’t lose them easily or throw them away once they are stuck.

To lower some of the costs, maybe dont print out the program on every A5 booklet, just leave blank for the session one is attending + documentation form? It might be enough to only print the program on a couple of big posters where everyone can see them in the venue.

In general, I can help with content, also for participants directory, not with design unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Less is more

Noemi, I absolutely agree that we should only print the amounts that we will use and have an online support mode e.g. mobile notifications for the sessions (like calendar invitations to be accepted…) or feedback documents to fill in online etc. Let’s collect more ideas that are easy to use and to set up… I don’t know the space - would it be possible to have a huge black board where people can check what is going on when, where changes could be announced, where a network map could be drawn, and information that concern everybody could be displayed? Then we could have one “campfire” point and little “lights” that every person is carring on/with themselves (the circles) plus the cards for the facilitators (that are handed out and collect right away after each session). Important to us is - that the printed material is supporting the process and fun to deal with. What do you think?

‘Free’ Printing.

If there’s something ready by Thursday next week, I can print a substantial amount and bring with. LMK

2 Likes

Great!

Thanks Ben - let’s see how quick we are. Will PDF print versions be fine?

b/w or color

Great! We are working on some more prints and wanted to ask if you can also print in colour (RGB or CMYK?). Thanks for a quick sign, C

what possible format(s)?

Hi Ben,

Another question would be can you print A3?

In what possible format?

thank you! ;- )

Some printing is paid for!

Guys, the MT2019 people are asking for designs that they would print on their own money for two things:

• totems (!)
  • postcards (which I think can be replaced with stickers).

Check out this task for measurements. It seems they did a GHangout on this: I did not quite understand whether [pacheca] and [Rita O] and [Caroline Paulick-Thiel] ended up producing some designs, and where they are… this is getting urgent now. :frowning:

1 Like

Let’s collect

Alberto, thank you for the link that I wasn’t aware of! We haven’t produce anything yet but gathered the existing stuff (layouts and logos to start asap)! Today we spoke about the general idea, what we want the material to do. The next step is to collect what we actually need. The task says about badges/stickers that serve as flyers and entry tickets to the conference. It would be very helpful if we could gather the content very quickly: which items do we need: poster, programm, flyers, feedback cards, badges and what should be written on them?

I will compile a first version for feedback cards and circles. Who can provide content for programm and flyer? Does anybody have a “final” version of the programm? Concerning the flyer, who is the main target group (people who know about the event or people who don’t know about the eventor both)? When’s the deadline?

totem and postcards

hi guys, ty so much for this further effort!

Unfortunately we don’t have much time! as [Alberto] has underlined, the MT2019 Committee is asking URGENTLY for TOTEM (cm (75x197) width x height)  and POSTCARDS (10x15 cm or A5). On the Totem there should be primarly the programm (italian version) with some claims(?), and on the postcards we should evaluate which kind of contents we would like to share. I would just remember you that the main goal is to involve the local community and let her know what will happen (actually almost noone knows it!): in addition, even if this is a “free” meeting and we should feel free to express whatever we want, the Director of MT2019 Committee needs to see the materials in advance and make some revision.

They want us to submit graphics with contents within TOMORROW so that they can print on Monday and have an entire week in advance to give the right prominence to LOTE. let’s keep in touch!

[Nadia] [pacheca] [Caroline Paulick-Thiel] hey girls I don’t know if I can help! I’m not a graphic but, in case, I can make some layout (I’d had similar experiences)

Design files for Totems (roll ups) and Post cards, please adapt!

1. Postcards: Here are design files for A5 postcards The above is an example of possible design for the a5 flyer/postcard, it but should include lote3 and www.edgeryders.eu/lote3 instead of the url down there now). Also it should contain logos for Mt2019 + Edgeryders + unMonastery. Also on the back it should have a text

• Text on the back in English: 

Living on the Edge (lote3) is a 4 day event in October 2013 where we learn how to build great things together and scale the impact of our projects. There’s never been anything like it and you can come, too!

lote3 is a no-spectator event. We keep lote3 free of charge so anyone can afford to attend, and participants are expected to contribute to building a meaningful and generative experience for everyone involved. Everyone can contribute something, whether it is curating a track at the event, facilitating a session, doing fundraising or social media outreach, making a video or helping to coordinate rideshares.  Learn more and get involved at: www.edgeryders.eu/lote3

• Text on the back in Italian :

2. Totems: So here are design files for rollups (or totems) that you can adapt. Ask them to print 6 of these. Please include:

• One with logos for Mt2019 + Edgeryders + unMonastery
  • Two with Schedule in Italian
  • Two with Schedule in English

going for postcards | MT2019 logos files?

Great Nadia, very usefull!

[@ritao] Can you send the MT2019 high resolution logo files: white, blue and brown?

(I believe there are this 3 options) thanks!

@caroline I’m going for the postcards, if that’s allrigth with you, ok?

Can anyone translate it to Italian?

Can anyone translate it to Italian?

thanks!

• Text on the back in Italian :

​  …

• Text on the back in English: 

Living on the Edge (lote3) is a 4 day event in October 2013 where we learn how to build great things together and scale the impact of our projects. There’s never been anything like it and you can come, too!

lote3 is a no-spectator event. We keep lote3 free of charge so anyone can afford to attend, and participants are expected to contribute to building a meaningful and generative experience for everyone involved. Everyone can contribute something, whether it is curating a track at the event, facilitating a session, doing fundraising or social media outreach, making a video or helping to coordinate rideshares.  Learn more and get involved at: www.edgeryders.eu/lote3

Translating now + LOGOS ALERT

[pacheca] and [Rita O], great work. Thanks for your generosity! I am translating the text now, uploading in 5 minutes.

Meanwhile: please please [Rita O] double check with Rossella all logos are there. LOTE3 has been gathering momentum, support, and allies. All logos really need to be there, this is the sort of stuff that offends people who are, generously, supporting our conference.

• ER
  • uM
  • MT2019
  • Dutch Embassy to Italy
  • Sviluppo Basilicata (almost sure)
  • City of Matera? (not sure at all)
1 Like

LOGOS

yes [Alberto] the Logo of City of Matera has to be  inlaid too. I’m waiting for them to send an high resolution file to me and then I’ll mail to [pacheca]

create an arquive, or dropbox folder, with all logos to be used

Ok, Can anyone do this?

I don’t have any logo with high resolution

It would be very usefull to create an arquive, or dropbox folder with all logos to be used in high resolution.

For instance, the logo of the dutch embassy, the ones I had before are not in high resolution. ( [Noemi] [Rita O] )

( big difference between online graphics and printed…)

(I believe @caroline has the unMon logo 300px, right? )

• (Ok Caroline, just saw your comment about working from 12.00.

You can go for the Totem strait! :wink: )

ps. As for the schedule being or not printed…

how ever you feel it makes sense with you guys!

1. “roll up - Totem”? but what to announce, then?

it might hight light some of the sessions, not revealing the exact schedule… or reveal the structure in any way?

every day ioga sseions at 7.30am

day 1 . track 1 . sessions about X and Y ?..

day 2.

If any one could structure the content, it would help a lot…

2. in the postcards not considering it.

Was thinking about some key enthusiastic phrases,

describing ideas refering to what one might aspect to encounter at lote environment…

feel free to send ​possible content, small expressive phrases! ;- )

what do you thing?

let´s keep working

1 Like

let’s make some order

[pacheca] in a while we should fix almost every content. I’m waiting for Alberto to reply on programm etc. I agree with you about everything! It shoud be clear to us that they pay prints and they need good contents (good for them!): on postcards I like the idea to have key words…but always consider that the goal is to involve persons that absolutely ignore the Edgeryders and could wonder “but who the hell are these and what the hell do they want?” :-)))