Community Event: Witness Development Call on Friday (28/1) at 15:00 - 16:00 CET

2022-01-28T14:00:00Z2022-01-28T15:00:00Z

Hi Everyone!

On Friday at 3PM CET we are hosting our first Witness Co-Development call of 2022 to which you are welcome.

It is a 1 hour online meeting in which we:

• Share a status update of things that are currently on the move/ need a response soon.
  • Summarise what we did in 2021 and and what we learned from it.
  • Discuss next steps.

All edgeryders community members are welcome to join.

If there is something you would like to have brought up during this session please post it in a comment below or in a private message to me if you are shy :slight_smile:

The 1hr call happens here: Launch Meeting - Zoom

If you have any problems to sign in during the call the fastest way to reach us is via the telegram group.

See you on Friday!

2 Likes

I’d love to organize a play session for the serious games group at the Global Regeneration CoLab, I think it would yield some interesting results.
I read the thread with comments from previous sessions, and I was thinking that if you had already made some alterations to the online version after the November event we could test them out.

Some comments:

• I am expecting a much smaller group than the one you had in November between 5-25 people (it’s hard to predict, when we send out invites to the community some events draw a lot more people than others).
  • A couple people in the Serious Games group make games for a living, so their feedback on gameplay could perhaps be valuable. I could send a Doodle before scheduling to try and make sure these key people are there.
  • I can record the discussion and compile a report
  • If you are more interested in the real-life version of the game, I could also try to put one together with friends here in Portugal, it would be a bit of a random group and no game designers, but there are some board game enthusiasts and a couple activists as well. Or there is a board game café in my hometown and I could try and do it when I am there, but that would require a bit more planning and would take longer as I don’t go so often.
    Let me know what you find more interesting to the group at the moment :slight_smile:

One final thought, I noticed that you are also organizing play sessions for other games: if would be open to having participants from other networks, I could share it with the GRC group, and in that case I would also share with you the calendar for the sessions they organize (some are presentations, others are play sessions too)

See you in a bit!

4 Likes

Focusing on Witness as an art project to unlock imagination, we have defined three major tracks in today’s call (agenda here, some of the questions discussed in December here):

GAME DEVELOPMENT

Question to answer: the game should be a rules-heavy simulation or a light storytelling exercise?

• a societal D&D (RPG)

• the worldbuilding and the role playing aspects as powerful elements and easy to interact with

• a modular approach with lightweight storytelling and adaptable plug in mechanics to simulate the economy
  • LARPs can be facilitators of discussions on topics difficult to approach directly

• Example: the coastal communities imagine a future of severe climate change consequences
    • need to define priorities: economy, culture, community?
      *mechanism: play - analyse the outcomes scientifically - connect to policy making
  • “actual play podcasts” from the TTRPG world - @jolwalton UK contacts and the podcast Serious Play

• Witness as an intricate board game where rules change according to the economy + culture of each district as you move around the board

• GOOD TO TAKE A LOOK AT:

LOCAL DEVELOPMENT

Witness as a tool for development of imagination and boosting the ideas

• Example - small municipalities in Sicily getting a lot of funding money but without the capacity and the imagination to employ it
  • similar projects with NL public organisations and youth require including/embedding the policy mechanisms in the game/tool

The result would be a very practical tool to connect (small) communities with the local government policy implementation.

• idea: The resilient futures workshop
  • in a second moment - a guide for facilitators - (ten points on how to use witness for that)

THE EXPERIENCE BUILDING

• Starting from Giacomo’s idea to organise the Witness installation in Messina’s contemporary art museum as a virtual scenario:

• Upon entering a room equipped with motion sensors and sophisticated projectors, the visitor, touching the walls, enters the immersive interactive experiences (i.e. deep sea for Messina)
  • threads open with Plurality University

• work on health, satisfaction, general wellbeing, macroeconomic indicators in combination with radically different ways of data usage

GOOD TO KNOW:
Globus Opstart funding for the writers’ retreat is still available at Blivande - @hugi will contact the funders to find an extention

GOOD TO TAKE A LOOK AT:
To facilitate the entrance of the newcomers we could create multiple pathways in?
1-2 page guide for educators, 1-2 page guide for facilitators, 1-2 page guide for writers / game designers

A call for projects on immersive storytelling https://www.storyfutures.com/academy
The Writers Salon, for fiction daily words quotas.

1 Like