Focusing on Witness as an art project to unlock imagination, we have defined three major tracks in today’s call (agenda here, some of the questions discussed in December here):
Question to answer: the game should be a rules-heavy simulation or a light storytelling exercise?
a societal D&D (RPG)
the worldbuilding and the role playing aspects as powerful elements and easy to interact with
- a modular approach with lightweight storytelling and adaptable plug in mechanics to simulate the economy
LARPs can be facilitators of discussions on topics difficult to approach directly
- Example: the coastal communities imagine a future of severe climate change consequences
- need to define priorities: economy, culture, community?
*mechanism: play - analyse the outcomes scientifically - connect to policy making
“actual play podcasts” from the TTRPG world - @jolwalton UK contacts and the podcast Serious Play
Witness as an intricate board game where rules change according to the economy + culture of each district as you move around the board
GOOD TO TAKE A LOOK AT:
Witness as a tool for development of imagination and boosting the ideas
- Example - small municipalities in Sicily getting a lot of funding money but without the capacity and the imagination to employ it
- similar projects with NL public organisations and youth require including/embedding the policy mechanisms in the game/tool
The result would be a very practical tool to connect (small) communities with the local government policy implementation.
- idea: The resilient futures workshop
- in a second moment - a guide for facilitators - (ten points on how to use witness for that)
Starting from Giacomo’s idea to organise the Witness installation in Messina’s contemporary art museum as a virtual scenario:
- Upon entering a room equipped with motion sensors and sophisticated projectors, the visitor, touching the walls, enters the immersive interactive experiences (i.e. deep sea for Messina)
threads open with Plurality University
work on health, satisfaction, general wellbeing, macroeconomic indicators in combination with radically different ways of data usage
GOOD TO KNOW:
Globus Opstart funding for the writers’ retreat is still available at Blivande - @hugi will contact the funders to find an extention
GOOD TO TAKE A LOOK AT:
To facilitate the entrance of the newcomers we could create multiple pathways in?
1-2 page guide for educators, 1-2 page guide for facilitators, 1-2 page guide for writers / game designers
A call for projects on immersive storytelling Academy - StoryFutures
The Writers Salon, for fiction daily words quotas.