Event: What does tech look like on a finite, post-climate change earth?

• Organiser: @zelf

Event intro/description:

Re-Web is a day dedicated to those who wish for a more sustainable infrastructure and system. We aim to explore how we can prepare for a finite, post-climate change earth through practical and hands on action, initiated by conversation.

There will be no speakers, instead we have facilitated conversations, harvested and shared with a larger European network of Edgeryders as part of a distributed festival in order to let the word spread far beyond our physical space, while also finding each other in the flesh.

The intention is to create a network of people who are interested in transforming the world and to have conversations about this, in line with the topics at hand. This event is held as part of a continental festival held in 10 different locations across Europe: https://festival.edgeryders.eu/

The main fields to be focused on is:

• Resilient Tech

• Networks & Communities

• Sustainable Futurism and Solarpunk

This event is bringing together people who are currently directly involved in building, researching, regulating, monetising and or providing meaningful input into the wider debate around the technologies in question. We want to ensure that every participant leaves the venue having presented and discussed their work with others who can provide meaningful input or connect them with opportunities to further their goals. If this appeals to you, then we would love to have you join us. Just create an edgeryders account and introduce yourself to the community.

How is this all financed?

This event is part of the NGI Forward project Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, launched by the European Commission in the autumn of 2016. It has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 825652 from 2019-2021. You can learn more about the initiative and our involvement in it at https://ngi.edgeryders.eu

Format

The event will be divided into two parts:

1. A smaller “crew” get together the day before with the participants in the network who are especially invited.
  2. A larger event with multiple tables for hosting conversations. At least three sessions at a time structured as a world cafe with an approximation of 2-3 rounds of conversations ending with a wrap up and a 1-2-4-all.

There will be an opportunity to host conversations until all the slots are filled up.

Before the event there will be a sign up to host conversations. Each sign up will be presented the same way a regular presenter is usually presented at a conference with a short text / video description of them in preparation.

The intention is to create a network of people who are interested in transforming the world and to have conversations about this, in line with the topics at hand.

The event will take place at Lodgatan in Östra Hamnen in Malmö, Sweden with room for up to 200 guests but we are aiming for far less. This event is seen as an iteration with potential for hosting more events in the future.

Frequently asked questions

How do I get an invitation/ticket to this workshop?

Complete the registration form: https://register.edgeryders.eu/

How is this event being organised?

This event, and the festival it is part of, is coordinated on the edgeryders platform (where you are now) and co-curated through a series of community video calls. We have allocated a collaboratively managed budget for the festival and operate on a solidarity basis. Participants who need some financial support to organise or be able to participate in the festival are eligible provided they contribute towards making it a meaningful and generative experience for all - in the run up to, during and/or after the event. If you would like to join us but are unsure as to how to contribute, don’t worry. Create an edgeryders account, then tell us a bit about yourself here and we will guide you along from there.

How is this all financed?

This event is part of the NGI Forward project Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, launched by the European Commission in the autumn of 2016. It has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 825652 from 2019-2021. You can learn more about the initiative and our involvement in it at https://ngi.edgeryders.eu

Ngi logo

Eu emblem

Does getting involved mean I endorse the funders views or actions?

No. What you are doing is contributing to an open consultation on the topic of how to build a next generation of internet infrastructure, technologies, business models etc that promotes the wellbeing of humans and the natural environment. The consultation methodology is designed in such a way as to allow for diversity of views, premises, disciplines, themes and contexts. We employ open notebook science principles and the results will be presented in the form of a research report accessible to everyone after the event. You can follow the process, review the methodology and open source tech we are using and engage directly with the research and coordination team here: https://edgeryders.eu/c/ioh/workspace

What is the code of conduct?

It is important to us that everyone in the room feels welcomed and safe; if you have any particular concerns or needs just send me a PM here on the platform or write to nadia@edgeryders.eu .

The Edgeryders online platform technology and activities are intended for people to cooperate within and across projects trying to build a better world. The word “better” has here a fairly broad range of meaning. These Community Guidelines are here to help you understand what it means to be a member of Edgeryders. Don’t forget that your use of Edgeryders is subject to these Community Guidelines and our Terms of Service.

What happens with my data?

You can read about our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy here. Also:

Hi @zelf :slight_smile:

As promised during our chat yesterday I have made you a placeholder wiki for you to fill in with the key info. Below a description of the process as I have been running it for my own workshop on AI & Injustice. Followed by a checklist for organisers. If you have any questions, etc just post in the comments and we take it from there. Works?

ORGANISATION CHECKLIST :

Please ensure each of these things are done, the team members tagged for each respective point on the list are responsible for helping you with it. But it is important you reach out to them, and check that they have from you whatever info/materials/etc they need to make it happen!

1. Update/Create individual event descriptions with: Catchy Name for the event, URL for signup form, Description of format & process, FAQs, Logistics info (address, time, date, team info) - follow this template; (responsible: organiser with help from @MariaEuler )
  2. Give Maria photos + statements/quotes she can use to customise design from the template: @mariaeuler
  3. Organise 2 calls to develop the session topic with the confirmed speakers; conduct one on one interviews & skeleton posts with each participant:
    • Call#1: Individual interviews with confirmed participants & produce skeleton posts (@inge @anon82932460 with support from @johncoate and @MariaEuler to help people post their content)
    • Call#2: Group call with all confirmed participants (Organiser + @MariaEuler )
  4. Keep track of the festival signup form and welcome/onboard each person (@johncoate)
  5. Formalise practical arrangements for speakers participation: Travel, fees, onboard them on the process, organise schedule, collect bio info + photo + recommended reading materials for other participants etc (individual organiser with support from @MariaEuler )
  6. Make a twitter list of Europe-based people who are interested in the topics to be covered in this session then reach out to them & more people to propose people or put themselves forward for the list - ( @anon82932460 - reaches out to each session organiser and asks who they want to engage, then organises outreach/comms campaign around that) .
  7. Prepare press/communication kit & send to local event calendar websites, journalists etc (@anon82932460
  8. Push out comms campaign for event via social media for event (@anon82932460)
3 Likes

Also. There are three posts on deep green + tech which might be helpful to you in developing the event in chronological order so it is easier to see how the conversations progressed

https://edgeryders.eu/t/deep-green-internet-of-biases-and-other-terrible-ways-to-open-a-conversation/10190/15

https://edgeryders.eu/t/deep-green-tech-workshop/10191/21

This is a workshop someone else is running in Berlin:

2 Likes

Thought you might find this useful for the event…

Data for Environmental Intelligence: A mega list of Earth System Datasets covering earth observations, climate, water, forests, biodiversity, ecology, protected areas, natural hazards, marine and the tracking of UN’s Sustainable Development Goals

2 Likes

@MariaEuler done!

2 Likes

@zelf, I filled in your flyers and attached one as a header to this post, you can find the png’s and illustrator files here: Zenna – Google Drive

1 Like

Awesome! Have uploaded for the facebook event!

@zelf: Did you share the Facebook link with @anon82932460 ?

I have written to them both and awaiting response now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yayy. can I haz link to facebook event?

1 Like

Hi @zelf Iam putting together this repository of materials that we can use to post on the event page and our edgeryders as well as our individual social media channels - to give would be participants a sense of what we are exploring. As well as entry point to join various relevant discussions already happening in different parts of the platform. I am updating it continuously but I thought it is good to post what is there already and add so we can start already…

What does tech look like on a finite, post-climate change earth?

150 word description of the event in the form of an invitation to join us adapted for email

• Copywriter adds it here

A summary article, also not more than 150 -200 words combining the insights/overview and good quotes from theses sources:

3 quote banners: Visual Materials here.

• How can the Internet Help the Climate? How can the Internet Help the Climate? - #17 by mattias “I definitely think that the Internet can help the climate and approach the challenge - can it right now? Not sure.”
  • A Radically New Internet - A Study on P2P Protocols and Mesh Networks: https://edgeryders.eu/t/a-radically-new-internet-a-study-on-p2p-protocols-and-mesh-networks/9802 “If mesh networks and peer-to-peer protocols are implemented, especially in combination with each other, it would be a much more durable communication infrastructure for society.”
  • How can we put humans/citizens first in our smart city policies?: How can we put humans/citizens first in our smart city policies? - #14 by matthias “Let’s call it “tiny data”. In the highly resilient society of the future, we’ll have to rely on local resources much more than now. This can be a city-level or neighborhood-level micro-grid or an off-grid house, or probably all of these to have multiple levels of redundancy. I am personally living off-grid and from that experience I can tell that good monitoring of ones energy, water, wastewater, heating and cooling systems is essential for wise resource use and proper functioning. For example, I know that I need 500-700 Wh of photovoltaics energy a day, and that I can cope with at most 10 days of gray sky in winter. That’s where IoT comes in. Network-connected sensors and an evaluation software would combine local consumption data and weather forecasts into behavior recommendations.”

3 Call-to-action Status updates: Visual Materials here.

• Call to action + URL #1
  • Call to action + URL #2
  • Call to action + URL #3
1 Like